Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree329Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd July 2011, 05:52 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Titanic isn't really a bad film, it may not be to many tastes on here, but its reasonably acted, has superb special effects and a worldwide hit song/soundtrack. Its release was a phenomenal success, and it swept the board at the Oscars.
Old 3rd July 2011, 05:58 PM
Cult Acolyte

Cool

372 Million, jeez that's almost as much as we members on Cult Labs spend on films in a week, but really what is up with that? Are the public that desperate for CGI junkfood. Dear oh dear.
Old 3rd July 2011, 06:04 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by platostotal View Post
372 Million, jeez that's almost as much as we members on Cult Labs spend on films in a week, but really what is up with that? Are the public that desperate for CGI junkfood. Dear oh dear.
Pirates 4 has taken more than The Dark Knight in its 7 weeks on release and gone over the $1 Billion mark. It seems its one of those films that is critic proof.

All the info is off Box Office Mojo by the way. I am not a Hollywood bean counter.(unfortunately)
Old 3rd July 2011, 06:15 PM
Cult Acolyte

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
Pirates 4 has taken more than The Dark Knight in its 7 weeks on release and gone over the $1 Billion mark. It seems its one of those films that is critic proof.

All the info is off Box Office Mojo by the way. I am not a Hollywood bean counter.(unfortunately)
Give me a 'Pirate' over a 'Transformer' any day.(hope the mods don't read that wrong)
oaxaca likes this.
Old 3rd July 2011, 06:20 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by platostotal View Post
Give me a 'Pirate' over a 'Transformer' any day.(hope the mods don't read that wrong)
Same with me, i will end up buying Pirates 4 at some stage.
Old 3rd July 2011, 09:37 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I hate both franchises, considering them both ill-conceived, badly written, badly directed and with woeful acting. Sadly, the general public can't seem to get enough of them.
gag and bizarre_eye@Cult Labs like this.
Old 3rd July 2011, 09:41 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I hate both franchises, considering them both ill-conceived, badly written, badly directed and with woeful acting. Sadly, the general public can't seem to get enough of them.
The original Pirates film is excellent, the exact opposite of your statement. It kinda sums up the others though.
Old 3rd July 2011, 09:51 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
The original Pirates film is excellent, the exact opposite of your statement. It kinda sums up the others though.
I quite enjoyed the original Pirates, much less so on repeat viewings, though.

The sequels are terrible. I don't even want to subject my eyeballs to the new one (even if Penelope Cruz is in it! )

I blind bought the first Transformers film (partly because the cartoons I used to watch when I was a kid were awesome; partly for Megan Fox; and partly for the fact that the DVD I bought came in a black steelbook exclusive to Play.com... ), and thought it was pretty shite. I don't know what possessed me to pay to go and see the second one at the cinema (Megan Fox?!).

To be honest, both franchises stem from the sole idea of 'style over substance', so I only have myself to blame for watching them and expecting them to be more than soulless empty cash-ins.

Still, I'd take both over Avatar any day!
Old 3rd July 2011, 10:20 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Default shite films

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
I quite enjoyed the original Pirates, much less so on repeat viewings, though.

The sequels are terrible. I don't even want to subject my eyeballs to the new one (even if Penelope Cruz is in it! )

I blind bought the first Transformers film (partly because the cartoons I used to watch when I was a kid were awesome; partly for Megan Fox; and partly for the fact that the DVD I bought came in a black steelbook exclusive to Play.com... ), and thought it was pretty shite. I don't know what possessed me to pay to go and see the second one at the cinema (Megan Fox?!).

To be honest, both franchises stem from the sole idea of 'style over substance', so I only have myself to blame for watching them and expecting them to be more than soulless empty cash-ins.

Still, I'd take both over Avatar any day!
never been a fan of the pirates franchise the first one might have been better if it focused on captain jack rather than the bland orlando bloom/keira knightley pairing only saw bits of 2 and 3 but was'nt by choice and the fourth one looked quite cheaper and more desperate. words cant express how much i hate the transformers movie theres a scene in south park where after been traumatised by how crap indy 4 was dream that speilberg and lucas gangrape indy, i imagine a similar scene with michael bay and optimus prime, now i see why he gave him lips. avoided second one and even bay admitted it was crap
Old 4th July 2011, 03:09 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Not now, but he did a superb job with little money making a little old film called The Terminator!

I'm also one of those who can't stand Michael Bay films but they always make many, so must be popular with a great many people. I really hope Transformers 3 dies on its arse at the box office, but sadly I don't see it happening.
Was reading a review in 1 of the papers and they called it Trash bore(mers)
and they didnt say 1 single good word about it and ended on the note of it the type of film you walk across the road to avoid....
I couldnt stick first 1 so wouldnt entertain myself with the 2nd

Like this? Share it using the links below!