Like Tree1863Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th January 2024, 02:39 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Oppenheimer

Is it as good as the hype suggests? At almost four hours it's a mighty watch. I feel you need more than simply good actors acting and talking for that length of time so what's the verdict on here from those who have seen it?

I had it in my trolley today at Asda then put it back on the shelf.
I turned it off half way through I found it was moving too fast I know that might sound stupid but it just felt like it was throwing everything at you constantly without giving me a chance to digest what was just after happening before it was throwing something else at me.
Old 10th January 2024, 03:01 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
I turned it off half way through I found it was moving too fast I know that might sound stupid but it just felt like it was throwing everything at you constantly without giving me a chance to digest what was just after happening before it was throwing something else at me.
Okay, that's interesting. Not sure how to reply to that.
Old 10th January 2024, 04:05 PM
Cult Veteran

I enjoyed it myself. It’s very talky. I joke with my friends it’s the men talking in rooms film, there is the atomic bomb scene as well which is pretty stunning but I felt a bit sick when they were discussing that it had succeeded in exploding over Hiroshima. Having been there myself and seeing the museum and peace monument it really affected me. I still thought it was a good film though.

If you buy the DVD you’ll get the PAL speed up and the film will be shorter

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 10th January 2024, 04:29 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Okay, that's interesting. Not sure how to reply to that.

Yeah probably the worst reply you'll get here
Old 10th January 2024, 04:48 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I enjoyed it myself. It’s very talky. I joke with my friends it’s the men talking in rooms film, there is the atomic bomb scene as well which is pretty stunning but I felt a bit sick when they were discussing that it had succeeded in exploding over Hiroshima. Having been there myself and seeing the museum and peace monument it really affected me. I still thought it was a good film though.

If you buy the DVD you’ll get the PAL speed up and the film will be shorter
Between you and Nordy i'm not exactly sold on paying £15 for it.

I like that it affected you having been to Hiroshima yourself. I get the same feelings when i see Saving Private Ryan and the scenes at Omaha Beach cemetery, having visited it a couple of times. It's amazing how powerful these places are and they haunt you for the rest of your life. The nearest things to ghosts i've yet to witness.
Old 10th January 2024, 06:02 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Between you and Nordy i'm not exactly sold on paying £15 for it.

I like that it affected you having been to Hiroshima yourself. I get the same feelings when i see Saving Private Ryan and the scenes at Omaha Beach cemetery, having visited it a couple of times. It's amazing how powerful these places are and they haunt you for the rest of your life. The nearest things to ghosts i've yet to witness.
I think it's definitely worth buying, but as with all Nolan films they'll be over stocked in CEX in a few months and you'll be able to get it for £5 or less, so you should probably just wait.

I haven't bought it yet myself, waiting for a cheap copy.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 10th January 2024, 06:05 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I think it's definitely worth buying, but as with all Nolan films they'll be over stocked in CEX in a few months and you'll be able to get it for £5 or less, so you should probably just wait.

I haven't bought it yet myself, waiting for a cheap copy.
It's not like the slip case is all that either to opt for it full price. It's okay but i think i preferred the ones without in Asda. There was one copy without a slip.

I'll wait.
Old 11th January 2024, 09:20 PM
Cult Acolyte

I saw Oppenheimer at the cinema and was impressed. Nolan can really move a story along which is impressive as it's pretty much all talk with this one. I was particularly impressed with the sound design which seems to be fully integrated into the score and really gets under your skin - it's all about the countdown. It'll clean up at the Oscars. It is after all Nolan's turn...

Now having said all that I don't aspire to see it again in the near future and I haven't bought it. For me it's a big commitment to put on a 3+ hour film to watch again when there's so much stuff I haven't seen and I suspect even with the best equipment it would be impossible to replicate the cinema experience.
Old 11th January 2024, 09:27 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Cheers, Rob.

One to get when it drops to £7 in a few months.
Old 11th January 2024, 10:05 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I also saw Oppenheimer at the cinema and, because of the visuals and IMAX element, I thought it would only be showing in the biggest screens.

Unfortunately, it was only in the mid-sized ones because Barbie was in the biggest screens, an understandable choice because of its box office popularity.

I thought both films were brilliant in different ways: Oppenheimer is a multilayered, thought-provoking, and intense drama whereas Barbie is a smart and funny commentary on women's place in society, feminism, and how the titular dolls fit into this.

I saw both of them twice and will definitely add both to my 4K Ultra HD collection either very soon or hold fire until they move to the 2 for £30 or 2 for £25 selection.

Like this? Share it using the links below!