Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree342Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31st May 2012, 10:41 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

I thought maybe the Donald Duck theme was just a cheeky nod back to Don't Torture a Duckling, the same way The Beyond's opening recreates the chain whipping from Duckling's Cemetery scene. - Or maybe Lucio was just a big Disney Fan.
Old 11th June 2012, 05:48 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I can't stand and have never understood people's love for Kubrick's The Shining (MUCH preferred the Mick Garris TV version-an actual adaptation of the book). As well as 2001 A Space Odyssey.....good GOD what a boring, laborious film!

Yep, Private Ryan and Forrest Gump are both terrible overlong sentimental garbage designed to make the masses emote. I even tried Band of Brothers because folk were harping on about it. Boring, soft stuff.

Have never made it through The Godfather due to sheer boredom, and I think The Deer Hunter (same reason).

Most of the big Brit Hits that come out are terrible, Trainspotting, four Weddings, Slumdog Millionaire and King's Speech all incredibly over-rated and only mildly more entertaining and well-acted than an ep of Eastenders.

Don't really like any James Bond films, and have to agree with a previous poster in completely missing what the hell was so good about The Dark Knight. Overlong, plodding stuff. I really wanted to like it, but sadly it was just Heth Ledger's Joker that made any impression while the rest of the film was just TALK, TALK, TALK!!!! I love Christopher Nolan (Inception and Memento are watch-a-hundred-times classics!) but the first two parts of his bat-trilogy have been so poor! Hoping the 3rd one is actually good!

There are probably more, but I've found quite a lot of "classics" don't live up to the hype and it's just reviewers agreeing with eachother because they think that if they badmouth a "worthy" film then they won't be taken seriously in the beard-stroking Film Studies club!.
Old 1st October 2012, 08:33 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

This is a re-post.

Full Metal Jacket.

Extremely overrated, pretentious crap film.

Awaiting a shitstorm of people praising this piece of sh*t to the skies...

Greetings!

Greetings!
oaxaca likes this.
Old 1st October 2012, 08:52 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Kubrick's The Shining. He's a very hit and miss director for me.

I loved the book, but found the film missing EVERYTHING that made the book so great.
Old 1st October 2012, 09:16 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgentoFan1987 View Post
Kubrick's The Shining. He's a very hit and miss director for me.

I loved the book, but found the film missing EVERYTHING that made the book so great.
I've said this many times on here, it's a fantastic film but a crap adaption
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 1st October 2012, 09:18 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I considered Kubrick's The Shining to be a great work of horror, but films I've never been able to like, no matter how hard I try, are the Star Wars movies (any of the six), Titanic, Rocky, Saving Private Ryan (The Thin Red Line is an overlooked masterpiece), The War of the Worlds, A Beautiful Mind, Schindler's List and The Sting.
Old 1st October 2012, 10:03 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I considered Kubrick's The Shining to be a great work of horror, but films I've never been able to like, no matter how hard I try, are the Star Wars movies (any of the six), Titanic, Rocky, Saving Private Ryan (The Thin Red Line is an overlooked masterpiece), The War of the Worlds, A Beautiful Mind, Schindler's List and The Sting.
Which one do you mean - The War of the Worlds or War of the Worlds?

Greetings!
Old 1st October 2012, 10:05 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda View Post
Which one do you mean - The War of the Worlds or War of the Worlds?

Greetings!
The Steven Spielberg one which, I think, is War of the Worlds, so I shouldn't have put it with the definite article in my original post!
Old 1st October 2012, 12:43 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
The Steven Spielberg one which, I think, is War of the Worlds, so I shouldn't have put it with the definite article in my original post!

I agree with you on Star Wars, but The Sting is one o my favour it's films of all time... By is suppose that is the point of this thread
Old 1st October 2012, 12:53 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Agree with all of the above except STAR WARS & THE STING... Going back to Kubrick, I found A CLOCKWORK ORANGE to really test my patience and EYES WIDE SHUT was pure tripe

Blu Rays ---- Vinyl ---- For Sale / Trade ---- Blu Spaghetti

Like this? Share it using the links below!