Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree342Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th May 2017, 05:15 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I've been merged!

A heads up would have saved me a few minutes wondering why my thread had been deleted, mind you.

Another classic i can't stand is....wait for it....It's a Wonderful Life.
Susan Foreman and bleakshaun like this.
Old 29th May 2017, 05:21 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadite View Post
Old 29th May 2017, 11:16 PM
Ex-member

Rosemary's Baby

Getting a root canal is far more entertaining. This movie is coma inducing. I wish whenever I have watched this I could go through the screen and just kill Mia Farrow's character(not her of course lol)I deem this woman to be one of the worst actors ever. I could only stand her and she was convincing in See No Evil. Nothing in this movie engages me, intrigues me..every time seeing this ALL the way through was a forced uncomfortable experience. Polanski is responsible for most of this I find that the most shocking thing about any of this. I thoroughly enjoy most of his movies. Huge John Cassavetes fan respect all his work but this is like an embarrassment on his body of work. I can't think of one thing I like about this movie. If I changed up my rating system a bit I'd score it -10/10..Atrocious on all levels.

Ok I'm perfectly calm now...
Rik and MrBarlow like this.
Old 30th May 2017, 01:52 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaughingWindows View Post
Rosemary's Baby

Getting a root canal is far more entertaining. This movie is coma inducing. I wish whenever I have watched this I could go through the screen and just kill Mia Farrow's character(not her of course lol)I deem this woman to be one of the worst actors ever. I could only stand her and she was convincing in See No Evil. Nothing in this movie engages me, intrigues me..every time seeing this ALL the way through was a forced uncomfortable experience. Polanski is responsible for most of this I find that the most shocking thing about any of this. I thoroughly enjoy most of his movies. Huge John Cassavetes fan respect all his work but this is like an embarrassment on his body of work. I can't think of one thing I like about this movie. If I changed up my rating system a bit I'd score it -10/10..Atrocious on all levels.

I saw this film from start to finish on film 4 two years ago. I am going to agree with you the film was crap, I got told it was the bees knees and really scary but what was scary about it.
LaughingWindows likes this.
Old 8th June 2017, 02:32 PM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda View Post
I wouldn't call Tarantino a 'genius' (very few in the film business deserve such an accolade), but I still think he's one of the best Hollywood directors of the last thirty years. His creepy performance in From Dusk Till Dawn and the brilliant 70s Grindhouse tribute film Death Proof stand out and still stick in my mind.

As for "Classic Films You (i.e. I) Love To Hate" - Thelma & Louise. I pretty much like Natural Born Killers, Miami Blues is quite entertaining, and Kalifornia is a brilliant piece of work... but this particular road movie always left me cold. I don't know why...maybe the reason is Susan Sarandon... or it's because I love the spoof in Naked Gun 33 1/3: The Final Insult... I just don't know. Another road movie I never rated is True Romance. In this case, I'm pretty sure it's because of Christian Slater and the incoherent script.
I'm on board with hating on Thelma and Louise and all the Naked Guns are classics, but the only thing I find more unbelievable than the idea that anyone could call Death Proof brilliant is that someone could see the addition of Christian Slater as a bad thing! Massive mancrush on the guy haha. Pump Up The Volume is one of the greatest things ever produced by animal, plant or mineral!

On the Tarantino thing, though, I've been off him for a while (happy calling him a genius off the back of RD, PF and JB, though!). I can see the appeal, it just doesn't do anything for me. A patchier director I would be hard-pressed to name. I liked Kill Bill 1, even though it was all over the place, but lost patience with 2. The closest to friends me and Tarantino have been since is with Django, which I loved, and the opening scene of IB. I've tried a few times to make it through Hateful 8 and just can't force myself to do it. Could be worse, though. Could be Rodriguez, who started amazing (agreed on QT in Dusk til Dawn btw) and hasn't done anything of note for 10/15 years or so now.

Anyway. "Classics" I do not get for nods of agreement/cries of heresy.

Network. The very definition of ham-fisted. Overwritten, overacted, shockingly bad. And I think Lumet is world-class, but crikey.

Night of the Hunter. Same. Ham-fisted rubbish with ropey performances, irritating children, and the story is just the worst. This is one I'd be willing to give another shot as I've not tried in about 15 years, but this film angered me.

One I was reversed on was The Princess Bride. People always bang on about it and I gave it a go and I couldn't stand it. It was corny as hell and every scene felt like a cheap attempt at trying to coin cheesy catchphrases. After my stubbornness died down, though, I did give it a second go and loved it (though the Peter Falk-Fred Savage scenes still make me cringe).
Old 8th June 2017, 02:55 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Night of the Hunter. Same. Ham-fisted rubbish with ropey performances, irritating children, and the story is just the worst. This is one I'd be willing to give another shot as I've not tried in about 15 years, but this film angered me.

Was it the original or remake or both versions that angered you?
Old 10th June 2017, 12:48 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaughingWindows View Post
Rosemary's Baby

Seen Incubus (1982)?

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 13th June 2017, 11:08 PM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post

Was it the original or remake or both versions that angered you?
The Mitchum version. I remember it looking nice, but I couldn't get on board with anything that happened or any of the characters or anything. Maybe it's better with age now.
Old 13th June 2017, 11:59 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by attackosaur View Post
The Mitchum version. I remember it looking nice, but I couldn't get on board with anything that happened or any of the characters or anything. Maybe it's better with age now.
It is better with age, the remake with Richard Chamberlain was quite good
Old 14th June 2017, 12:57 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadite View Post
My wife owns it on blu-ray. She's American and like seemingly most Americans, dearly loves the film. Me...I can tolerate it but certainly wouldn't describe myself as a fan.

Like this? Share it using the links below!