Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Poll: I LIKE.......
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
I LIKE.......

Like Tree174Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th April 2013, 11:33 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziginajackson View Post
Spike Lee is remaking 'Oldboy'

Oldboy (2013) - IMDb

Wonder if it'll still contain the octopus scene!!!
An octopus with an afro? Okay, that was bad, I'm leaving....
Old 18th April 2013, 11:37 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

I'm not against remakes per se. I think every generation should have a stab at retelling those scary stories, it's like a rites of passage. My problem is that while they've upped the graphic nature of the films, they haven't really added any psychological terror/revulsion. Just made it more graphic. The older films had truly repulsive themes at the heart of them. Modern films just have repulsive images but nothing that ****s with your head.
Old 19th April 2013, 07:00 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
I'm not against remakes per se. I think every generation should have a stab at retelling those scary stories, it's like a rites of passage. My problem is that while they've upped the graphic nature of the films, they haven't really added any psychological terror/revulsion. Just made it more graphic. The older films had truly repulsive themes at the heart of them. Modern films just have repulsive images but nothing that ****s with your head.
Some films are ok as remakes, and now and again a films needs a new remake/ version but problem I've got is it seems like just about every film in existence is getting a remake and it's getting ott and beyond a joke now...
And it's coming across like the film industries has run out off ideas and going for a easy option irrelevant to how the end products going to be,
Old 19th April 2013, 10:39 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
Some films are ok as remakes, and now and again a films needs a new remake/ version but problem I've got is it seems like just about every film in existence is getting a remake and it's getting ott and beyond a joke now...
And it's coming across like the film industries has run out off ideas and going for a easy option irrelevant to how the end products going to be,
Yeah, I've no real problem with remakes, as I said above, but, like you say, it's the sheer volume of remakes we've seen in recent years that bugs me. And often it's films that really didn't need a remake.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 19th May 2013, 01:25 AM
Cult Addict

old films have always been remade esp horror, dr jekyll & mr hyde, Phantom of the opera. Universal & Hammers iconic monsters. I dont have a problem with a new take on a classic monster.
But i think the omen, psycho, Carrie etc are classics that still work. Because they are masterpieces and have very little that can be improved upon. likewise the Exorcist & Rosemarys baby are classics that shouldnt be remade.

It would make much more sense if remakes were of films with good ideas, but could be improved upon, or did not quite satisfy.

For instance- Deadly friend, Frankenstein Unbound, Children shouldnt play with dead things. popcorn.

Personally i quite enjoyed these films, but can see room for improvement.

Just stop making pants versions of classic films !!!!!
Old 19th May 2013, 01:57 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

No-one liked the Wicker Man remake then? Hands up.
Old 19th May 2013, 02:09 AM
Cult Addict

Think alot of people gonna be sitting on their hands in response to that. myself included.
Has anyone seen The Wicker Tree?
I didn't mind it as much as a lot of reviewers, obviously it pales in comparison to the original Wicker Man. But i thought it was interesting and entertaining. Just didn't have any of the impact or charm of the original.
Old 19th May 2013, 02:18 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
Think alot of people gonna be sitting on their hands in response to that. myself included.
Has anyone seen The Wicker Tree?
I didn't mind it as much as a lot of reviewers, obviously it pales in comparison to the original Wicker Man. But i thought it was interesting and entertaining. Just didn't have any of the impact or charm of the original.
Yeesh. I enjoyed The Wicker Man remake more than The Wicker Tree, granted, it's like asking which testicle I don't need, but Nic Cage fighting bees is more entertaining than a strange American folk band ambling about.

Truth be told, I'd put both balls forward rather than have to watch either again.
Old 19th May 2013, 03:05 AM
Cult Addict

Thought that would get a response.

Each to their own. The Wicker Man remake was sort of entertaining in respect to the bad acting, but can't realise how people can screw up a remake so badly.

I think sometimes when a film im waiting to see has been slagged off so much, i'll be watching it not expecting anything good, then notice small things i like, then will come away thinking actually it wasn't as bad as people said.

Likewise if a film is over praised i might come away feeling underwhelmed.

If that makes sense.

In Wicker Tree i quite liked the sceme when americans are singing in the pub, about the blood of the lamb. To them they're singing a christian song . The locals join in but they're singing about the americans as a sacrifice.

I thought that was interesting, turning the scene around like that.

Some scenes were just bafflingly bizarre, like when the american saw herself on tv & freaked out. Bad scene but entertaining, in a weird way.

It was also interesting contrasting different types of faith music. personally im not into country music, but saw the point he was making.

My main problem with the film was that it seemed a bit TV movie like, also would have liked some blood in scene where american man was killed. But then again the original was not graphic.

Anyway, thats just my opinion. But iam a couple of sandwiches short of a picnic, so go easy on me.
Old 19th May 2013, 08:46 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Texas Chainsaw Massacre was made good because of R Lee Ermey's performance.
The Wicker Man was only worth watching to see Nicolas Cage running around an island punching people and threatening to shoot people if they didn't get off their bikes.
Daemonia likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!