Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Poll: I LIKE.......
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
I LIKE.......

Like Tree174Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th August 2017, 03:31 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I
I've recently started the Marvel Cinematic Universe in chronological order with Captain America: The First Avenger, the first series of Agent Carter and Iron Man, possibly with Iron Man 2 and The Incredible Hulk this weekend, and they are great stories, beautifully realised with top production values. There are no complaints about superhero movies (and TV shows) from me.
There aren't from me when i'm sat there watching them. It's just the hype that surrounds each release makes every weekend seem like some superhero film or other is coming out.

Now with DC in on the act there's always a superhero movie in the top ten it seems.

Thank heavens for Nolan's Dunkirk.
Old 5th August 2017, 04:10 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
There aren't from me when i'm sat there watching them. It's just the hype that surrounds each release makes every weekend seem like some superhero film or other is coming out.

Now with DC in on the act there's always a superhero movie in the top ten it seems.

Thank heavens for Nolan's Dunkirk.
I like a healthy mix of films, which is why I'll happily watch well-made superhero movies along with something like Dunkirk (which should become a timeless classic) and then relatively obscure Scandinavian fare like Man Called Ove. Basically, a good movie is a good movie regardless of its budget or genre.
keirarts likes this.
Old 5th August 2017, 04:44 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I like a healthy mix of films, which is why I'll happily watch well-made superhero movies along with something like Dunkirk (which should become a timeless classic) and then relatively obscure Scandinavian fare like Man Called Ove. Basically, a good movie is a good movie regardless of its budget or genre.
I just miss the days of the 80's and 90's when action stars ruled the cinema screens.

You could guarantee an new Arnie or Willis film would be a bit of fun.

We don't seem to have any larger than life movie stars anymore either. Just a bunch of whining Facebook twats.
keirarts likes this.
Old 5th August 2017, 05:03 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I just miss the days of the 80's and 90's when action stars ruled the cinema screens.

You could guarantee an new Arnie or Willis film would be a bit of fun.

We don't seem to have any larger than life movie stars anymore either. Just a bunch of whining Facebook twats.
Interesting you said that shortly after saying how much you are anticipating the Bruce Willis-headlining Death Wish movie! Johnny Depp, Brad Pitt, Angelina Jolie, Dwayne Johnson and Tom Cruise are probably movie stars rather than actors. Leonardo DiCaprio, George Clooney, Anne Hathaway, Meryl Streep, Ryan Gosling and Jennifer Lawrence are probably both movie stars and actors – I don't believe the two categories are mutually exclusive.

It may just be me, but I'm more interested in actors than movie stars (they're not always separate things) so people like Daniel Craig, Benedict Cumberbatch, Amy Adams, Halle Berry, Eddie Redmayne, Robert De Niro (some may say he's a movie star as well), Ralph Fiennes, Emma Stone, Emily Watson, Kristen Scott Thomas, Charlotte Rampling and (the recently retired) Daniel Day Lewis could easily sell a film to me if their name was prominently placed on the artwork/trailer.
keirarts likes this.
Old 5th August 2017, 05:12 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Interesting you said that shortly after saying how much you are anticipating the Bruce Willis-headlining Death Wish movie! Johnny Depp, Brad Pitt, Angelina Jolie, Dwayne Johnson and Tom Cruise are probably movie stars rather than actors. Leonardo DiCaprio, George Clooney, Anne Hathaway, Meryl Streep, Ryan Gosling and Jennifer Lawrence are probably both movie stars and actors – I don't believe the two categories are mutually exclusive.

It may just be me, but I'm more interested in actors than movie stars (they're not always separate things) so people like Daniel Craig, Benedict Cumberbatch, Amy Adams, Halle Berry, Eddie Redmayne, Robert De Niro (some may say he's a movie star as well), Ralph Fiennes, Emma Stone, Emily Watson, Kristen Scott Thomas, Charlotte Rampling and (the recently retired) Daniel Day Lewis could easily sell a film to me if their name was prominently placed on the artwork/trailer.
Much like a superhero film today you could probably guess what a Clint Eastwood or Sylvester Stallone film would be like prior to seeing them in the 80's/90's. With the people you mention, hell, i can't even remember the last films half of them starred in - Rampling, Berry, Watson, Fiennes... they don't draw me at all. Admittedly i adored Kristen Scott Thomas in Salmon Fishing in the Yemen but that's the only recent one of hers i can remember, and she was third billed for that.
keirarts likes this.
Old 6th August 2017, 07:56 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

IT Director Sets Eyes on Pet Sematary Remake For Next Project

Clearly one of the most highly anticipated movies of the year, IT still has a little over a month before it makes its long-awaited debut on the big screen, along with already laid plans for the second installment of the adult Loser’s Club returning back to Derry to face their fears one more time. However, the renowned Mama and IT director Andy Muschietti and sibling producer Barbara are taking their fandom for the Master of Horror and Suspense author to the next level and are anxious to get ahold of another beloved Stephen King masterpiece for their next film project- a Pet Sematary remake!

Hot off the news that the home that inspired King to write the novel that taught us to double check both ways when crossing a road, has been recently listed for sale, Andy Muschietti has reportedly opened up to the Toronto Sun about hopefully getting to remake the 1989 cult classic that catapulted female director Mary Lambert into directorial stardom.

“We’re huge fans of Pet Sematary. If we can get our hands on that and do the Pet Sematary we want to do, that will be something. One day, maybe.”

The Muschietti siblings currently own the rights to King’s sci-fi horror short The Jaunt. First published in 1981 in the Twilight Zone Magazine and then making its way into King’s 1985 “Skeleton Crew” collection, it was reported back in 2015 Muschietti was greenlit to make the creepy futuristic tale into a full-fledged feature. But, we haven’t really heard any updates on that project since. If perhaps, the Muschiettis’ get their way, The Jaunt may have to wait a little longer to make way for the path to Pet Sematary. Just make sure the grounds are nice and sour over there.
keirarts and bleakshaun like this.
Old 7th August 2017, 05:14 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

As much as I loathe most remakes
Am intrigued by a stronger version of Spawn that is in the pipeline.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 7th August 2017, 07:53 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
As much as I loathe most remakes
Am intrigued by a stronger version of Spawn that is in the pipeline.
I almost totally detest remakes , when a remake is announced I roll my eyes and groan , odd one or two tend to be better than original, eg Maniac is divided between people some think it better than original, , but either way was a total surprise of how good it was , if they give them a bit of their own spin as well can be slightly acceptable , eg death race films, also if original director remakes them like wes craven at least if you like or dislike them they know what their doing and can do the original justice , just the fact some should never be remade eg suspiria , and others are completely soulless and lack appeal to them .
Old 7th August 2017, 08:38 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The original comic was fairly adult tbh. So this will be more in keeping with that ... hopefully
keirarts likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 8th August 2017, 10:46 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Cannonball Run: new details on the remake | Den of Geek

Like this? Share it using the links below!