LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th August 2014, 09:52 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Blood Orgy of the She-Devils (1972)

Fairly dull exploitation fare revolving around witchcraft, which starts off quite promisingly with an eerie electronic off-kilter score blended together with fractured hypnotic visuals as the credits roll by.

Unfortunately, once the film starts, the multiple story lines and plot arcs that are crammed in seem to just congeal together in a (surprisingly) blood and orgy lacking mess.

Whilst it was obvious that She-Devils had a lot of interesting ideas, it just didn't have the budget or coherence of execution to carry them through.
Well that's just kin' marvellous.

This turned up today. I'd forgotten i'd ordered it. I just preordered it months back to get something else delivered free from Amazon and forgot to cancel it.
bizarre_eye@Cult Labs and Rik like this.
Old 20th August 2014, 09:54 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Another prime example of the video art being better than the actual film then!

If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 20th August 2014, 09:58 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
Another prime example of the video art being better than the actual film then!
Here's the cover. It utilizes the original art.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 91Fi-kVO6dL._SL1500_.jpg (100.9 KB, 1 views)
bizarre_eye@Cult Labs and Rik like this.
Old 20th August 2014, 10:06 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Here's the cover. It utilizes the original art.
I didn't even know 88 Films were releasing it, but based on B_E's review, I don't think it'll be gracing my shelves any time soon
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 20th August 2014, 10:19 PM
Cult Acolyte

shame Blood orgy is a dud (not seen it myself) as Ted's over films Doll squad and Corpse Grinders I think are fun movies in the great drive-in/grindhouse tradition no budget but plenty goin on.
Old 20th August 2014, 10:28 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondadoronron View Post
shame Blood orgy is a dud (not seen it myself) as Ted's over films Doll squad and Corpse Grinders I think are fun movies in the great drive-in/grindhouse tradition no budget but plenty goin on.
I've had Doll Squad for years, i love it. MIA released it as a Charlies Angels cash in.
Rondadoronron likes this.
Old 20th August 2014, 10:40 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Here's the art. You'll probably see where i'm coming from.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51P8PRBHBPL.jpg (44.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 51HWRBV6PZL.jpg (33.9 KB, 1 views)
Old 20th August 2014, 10:53 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Here's the art. You'll probably see where i'm coming from.
Yeah that's the version i got,I think the region 1 cover is marginally better.

81bwGxdjq3L._SL1500_.jpg
Old 21st August 2014, 07:11 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

You may still enjoy She-Devils, Dem! (different strokes and all that).

I have the Vinegar Syndrome release of the Doll Squad (paired with Mission: Killfast) and it's a extremely fun little film. Like Ron, I also feel The Corpse Grinders is worth a look as even though it's pretty shoddy it certainly has fun at the expense of it's plot and budget to the extent you can get some enjoyment out of it... well, I could anyway.

The main problem with She-Devils (which I didn't mention in my 'review') is that it tries to take itself too seriously, which ends up being counter-productive. I feel that Mikels could have made this into a fun and shlocky little sleaze-fest if he'd wanted... maybe I went in expecting too much, or perhaps Mikels was just having an off-day.
Old 22nd August 2014, 06:59 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Blood Rage (1987)

Thanksgiving slasher Blood Rage (AKA: Nightmare at Shadow Woods) tells the tale of twins Todd and Terry, the latter of whom goes psycho at a drive-in movie theatre with an axe as a young boy and then frames his shocked brother leading him to get locked away in a mental asylum. Now, several years later, Thanksgiving will be ruined as Todd has escaped and is out for vengeance.

Blood Rage is full of your usual slasher elements; teens, partying, nudity, and some nicely executed kills with plenty of the red stuff (blood of course, not cranberry sauce as the script seems to take delight in repeatedly referring to). Also, for such a low budget affair the performances are all pretty decent; especially from Mark Soper who plays both Todd and Terry and seamlessly moves from one persona to another with ease throughout. Louise Lasser as the twins' mother also puts in a solid performance slowly losing her sanity as the film ticks along and the bodies start to pile up.

Whilst nothing groundbreaking and despite knowing the identity of the real killer within the first 10 minutes of the film, Blood Rage is an enjoyable little slasher with plenty going on that I'd happily seek out again.

Like this? Share it using the links below!