Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree26818Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th October 2018, 12:45 PM
Seasoned Cultist

The Blood Beast Terror.

Peter Cushing is a inspector in the police on a case involving a series of young men who have been killed and drained of blood. at first he suspects some type of bird of prey like a eagle or something, but it turns out that its something a lot more strange instead.

I have to be honest here and say that this is not Cushing's greatest film, but that's not to say that its still not without its charm. it still has all the old gothic and period outfits and atmosphere, its just that it's a bit dull and bland and a rather lightweight film from Tigon. and the ending is a bit rubbish too.
The creature on the rampage does provide some unintentional comedy though and is absolutely hilarious with the worst make up effects since Hammer's The Reptile. they must rent these outfits from a fancy dress shop.

Actor Robert flemming also co stars as a mad doctor with bizarre secrets in his laboratory and Wanda ventham also stars as his strange daughter.

probably one of my least favorites out of all my Hammer and Tigon films, etc. but will still give it 69.5 out of 100.
Old 14th October 2018, 02:44 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Zombie View Post
The Blood Beast Terror.

probably one of my least favorites out of all my Hammer and Tigon films, etc. but will still give it 69.5 out of 100.
You would have thought that a film with a title like that, couldn't fail!

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 14th October 2018, 05:57 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Tonight's viewing.

Old 14th October 2018, 06:46 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

City Of The Living Dead 1980.

In the town of Dunwich a priest hangs himself and opens a gateway to hell, a reporter and a medium race against time to close the gateway.

This is one of Fulci's best movies, this is like a no holds barred anything goes in the ways of death, to the vomit scene, drill kill and Zombie attacks with hair pulling to the extreme, it's not a edge of your seat sitting view, good dark spooky atmosphere especially in the underground crypt.

Christopher George plays the reporter who brings in slight humour and Catriona Malcolm is the medium who sees the dead rise up, there is small appearances from Giovanni Lombardo Rice and film director Michele Soavi. The only problem I have with this and probably many others was the ending. 8 out of 10
Attached Images
File Type: jpg city1-e1517770125226.jpg (65.1 KB, 3 views)
Old 14th October 2018, 07:58 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A number of years since I've watched this , forgotten just how brilliant and clever it is, expertly directed by Craven and started a bit of a come back for horror as a lot of around the time was pretty poor , it also lead to a tonne of copy cat films, some good but most poor. Lots a little nods and Easter eggs to other horror films. 9.5/10

Now watching final destination, another film I've not seen in awhile.
Old 14th October 2018, 08:10 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

The Seventh Sign(1988).

A supernatural horror/thriller about the end of days. Demi Moore plays Abby Quinn and her and her husband are expecting a baby.
Then, after a series of natural disasters across the world, a mysterious stranger called David, played by Jurgen Prochnow shows up and rents a room from them.

One of the many films inspired by the Omen, although it's not in the league of that classic, despite being well written with an intelligent script.
But this film still has a lot of merit and is well worth a watch despite lacking the creepiness of The Omen and the striking set pieces.
Demi Moore is excellent too as the woman who holds the key to saving the world, and Jurgen Prochnow gives a really believable portrayal as the spooky visitor. Michael Biehn who starred in The Terminator also gives a solid performance as Abby's husband. 7/10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51ta0C1FVIL._SX342_.jpg (27.7 KB, 4 views)
Old 14th October 2018, 08:52 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Beyond 1981.

A woman inherited a hotel in Louisiana and discovers that it is a gateway to Hell.

I'm not really a big fan of this film, the start does send the movie into a interesting view then slopes and looses its track then finds it again, Fulci's vision of gore with Emily's death that's a bit like the three wise monkeys scenario and was copied from the movie Suspiria and young Jill's death was more like blink and miss.
The one good thing I like is the haunting soundtrack by Fabio Frizzi who worked on other Fulci movies. 6 out of 10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg the-beyond-1981.jpg (97.3 KB, 6 views)
Old 14th October 2018, 09:10 PM
Cult Addict

Hatchet 3
Mary Beth escapes (again) the clutches of Victor Crowley only to be arrested by the police, being covered in blood and holding his scalp. The police go to the Swamp and uncover all the bodies of the previous movie. Victor then proceeds to murder them all.
Out of the 3 I've seen it's still an enjoyable sequel, with some enjoyable kills, appearances by Sid Haig and Zach Gilligan. Lesser budget? Sure. But it doesn't remove from the entertainment of the film.
The fourth one in a week's time, curious to see how it plays out.

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
Old 14th October 2018, 09:46 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A high school student while on a plane ready to fly to Paris has a dream that the plan will crash, he and some other students and a teacher a removed before take off, not long after take off the plane explodes killing everyone on board. Not soon after the survivors been to die in what appear bizarre accidents. Not your usual teen slasher no hockey masked wearing killer ,captain Kirk mask killer or dream demon here, the enemy here is death. We have some very imaginative and clever kills. The thing I've noticed with this and scream is everyone might be better looking than the average person but they aren't ripped within a inch of there life most films today! 8/10
Old 14th October 2018, 09:49 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
The Beyond 1981.

I'm not really a big fan of this film, the start does send the movie into a interesting view then slopes and looses its track then finds it again, Fulci's vision of gore with Emily's death that's a bit like the three wise monkeys scenario and was copied from the movie Suspiria and young Jill's death was more like blink and miss.
It's interesting you said that because I prefer this to City of the Living Dead (it's my favourite of the loose trilogy) because I love the way the painting integrates into the narrative and the ending in particular seems pre-destined, something which becomes more evident with repeated viewings. I know what it says about me that I like films with downbeat endings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
The one good thing I like is the haunting soundtrack by Fabio Frizzi who worked on other Fulci movies. 6 out of 10.
I really love the soundtrack and met Fabio Frizzi in Glasgow where he was introduced I improve and signed the soundtrack album I'd taken, an autographed which smudged when it was put back into the sleeve!
nosferatu42 and MrBarlow like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!