Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree26818Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th October 2015, 05:18 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default devils and ghost

One thing you can say about thre BBc is that they know how to do costume drama,you can't really fault them on there production values either.M.R. James Number 13,may not be best adaptation of his work,and to be honest most have taken liberties with the stories here and threre. But I enjoy because it does'nt feel the need to rush into the story or explain its character motivation's or any other modern story devices,it feels like it was made in the 70's becuse its slow and abit up its own bum.Greg Wise is wonderful as the pompous Anderson and at the start his character is totally unlikeable but after he's had a few sleepless nights of torment you kind of feel sorry for him.Im not saying this is the best of M>R<James adaptations but I like it and christ its got to be better than Downtown abbey.

vlcsnap-00009.jpgvlcsnap-00011.jpgvlcsnap-00013.jpgvlcsnap-00014.jpgvlcsnap-00015.jpgvlcsnap-00016.jpg

Old 14th October 2015, 05:21 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default devils and ghosts

Next up Is Race With The Devil,sort of like Cannonball Run but instead of Burt Reynolds you got Warren Oates and instead of the Sherriff you get devil worshipper's,fun with a capital F.Most my age would of caught this on the BBc 2 double bill back in day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-00017.jpg (78.6 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-00018.jpg (75.5 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-00019.jpg (83.7 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-00006.jpg (88.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-00007.jpg (81.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-00008.jpg (86.3 KB, 2 views)

Old 14th October 2015, 05:22 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline View Post
One thing you can say about thre BBc is that they know how to do costume drama,you can't really fault them on there production values either.M.R. James Number 13,may not be best adaptation of his work,and to be honest most have taken liberties with the stories here and threre. But I enjoy because it does'nt feel the need to rush into the story or explain its character motivation's or any other modern story devices,it feels like it was made in the 70's becuse its slow and abit up its own bum.Greg Wise is wonderful as the pompous Anderson and at the start his character is totally unlikeable but after he's had a few sleepless nights of torment you kind of feel sorry for him.Im not saying this is the best of M>R<James adaptations but I like it and christ its got to be better than Downtown abbey.
Agreed.

The previous years A View from a Hill is also a fave of mine.
Old 14th October 2015, 05:22 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme73 View Post
Cheers for that. Never knew such a thing existed. Have you read it? And if so, is it any good?

By the way, it wasn't Armageddon 2000 I saw a while back. It was Holocaust 2000.
keirarts likes this.
Old 14th October 2015, 05:23 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Next up Is Race With The Devil,sort of like Cannonball Run but instead of Burt Reynolds you got Warren Oates and instead of the Sherriff you get devil worshipper's,fun with a capital F.
Just a shame Jack Elam's not in it.
Old 14th October 2015, 05:24 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBlayne View Post

Holocaust 2000.
I just ordered this half an hour ago.
MacBlayne likes this.
Old 14th October 2015, 05:27 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Next up Is Race With The Devil,sort of like Cannonball Run but instead of Burt Reynolds you got Warren Oates and instead of the Sherriff you get devil worshipper's,fun with a capital F.Most my age would of caught this on the BBc 2 double bill back in day.
Warren Oates - one of the finest actors that ever walked the planet. I saw an episode of Gunsmoke with my uncle that had a guest appearance by Oates. He acted everybody off the screen. The rest of the cast couldn't hold a candle to him.
Old 14th October 2015, 05:59 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

first viewing of the night
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Madman poster.jpg (94.9 KB, 1 views)
Old 14th October 2015, 06:41 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Karloff link. Then I think I was going to The Blood Beast Terror. At some point I want to end up at The Comeback.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 14448479693311894991241.jpg (91.0 KB, 1 views)
Old 14th October 2015, 06:50 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonLynette View Post
Karloff link. Then I think I was going to The Blood Beast Terror. At some point I want to end up at The Comeback.
I saw that last night again. (Which reminds me i want to read the 24 page booklet on it by Marcus Hearn) It's one of those that won't ever win any best film polls but i really like it.

Plus it has this classic quote - "It's like Boris Karloff is going to pop up at any moment".

I take it the link is director Vernon Sewell?
keirarts likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!