Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree26818Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th October 2021, 07:37 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Curtains. 1983.

A group of young actresses auditioning for a new movie in a remote mansion are being stalked and killed by a masked lunatic.

This is one of those missed 80s mad man slasher films that does pop up every once and while, there is limited gore in this but mostly seems to rely on good acting mixed with suspense and atmosphere with one or two twists and turns along the way. John Vernon plays the director who is holding auditions and Samantha Eggar as his leading lady who has escaped from the asylum where she was to understand her new film role. Entertaining.

817daBA88EL._AC_SX342_.jpg
Old 11th October 2021, 07:53 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I love this film, but I still at times don't know what the hell is going on , on moment you think you have figured it out then something happens and everything is turned on its head. Subtly creepy with a eerie dream/nightmare quality which things don't quite make sense.

Now watching.

Old 11th October 2021, 08:04 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post

I love this film, but I still at times don't know what the hell is going on , on moment you think you have figured it out then something happens and everything is turned on its head. Subtly creepy with a eerie dream/nightmare quality which things don't quite make sense.

Now watching.

It be interesting to see your thoughts on Dementer, I had mixed feelings about watching this one, are you going to be watching the Phantasm sequels?
Old 11th October 2021, 08:07 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
It be interesting to see your thoughts on Dementer, I had mixed feelings about watching this one, are you going to be watching the Phantasm sequels?
Yes going too watch them all,the small amount I've seen of Dementer its probably going to be a weird one and maybe a bit of a head ****!
MrBarlow likes this.
Old 11th October 2021, 08:19 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

30 days of unseen horror

Film 2

quiet-place-header.jpg

In a world overrun by extraterrestrial creatures that only respond to sound people must live in constant fear and total silence the simplest things can no longer be done talking to loved ones listening to music or even walking are all a life or death challenge. Evelyn and Lee have three kids making the quest for survival even harder.

I put this off for a long time because i find Emily Blunt a little annoying so i just didn't bother how wrong was i because this is a great film. The lack of music and talking brings a whole new atmosphere the tension of silence can be so unnerving even the rustling of a leaf could cost you your life and you are really taken in by the struggle that these parents are going through to keep their kids alive and how hard it is for them to not even be able to tell their kids how much that they love them it can be heartbreaking to watch at times. Every performance is spot on especially the kids relying on their actions and expressions to show you what they are going through was really brilliant.

Tense and very engaging from start to finish a real surprise for me.

8/10
Old 11th October 2021, 08:48 PM
Cult Master

30 days of unseen horror

Film 3

MV5BMTE2ODU4NDEtNmRjNS00OTk1LTg4NmMtNTAzYzVlNzJmYjgzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODk4OTc3MTY@._V1_.jpg

No longer able to rely on the once safety of their now burnt down home the Abbots must now venture into the unknown and seek an new safe place to call home. Now with a newborn to add to their troubles they must come up with new ways to outsmart the creatures that stalk the countryside but its not only the creatures that they have to worry about because people can be worse than anything. The Abbots may just have the upper hand this time around after discovering the creatures have a weakness but the creatures may still have a few tricks up their sleeve yet.

This time around we get to see what life was like just before the creatures arrived on earth and the immediate chaos it brought with it those scenes are pretty exciting and frantic and it's sort of a sign of things to come with this film a little more fast paced with more attacking the creatures not just running all the time. A Quiet Place II doesn't get lost in the action it balances it just right keeping the atmosphere that made the first film so enjoyable but also giving hope that there may be a way out of this. Once again the kids do a great job really becoming the stars of the film once again take that Emily Blunt

If you enjoyed the first film then you should enjoy this just as much.

8/10
Old 11th October 2021, 09:20 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Really don't know what too make of this, we follow a woman whom has escaped from a satanic cult and has scars both physical and mental, who starts a job looking after people are with learning difficulties when one her charges takes ill she tries too help but is she really helping?

It's shot kind of like a documentary and found it unsettling and unnerving but as said at beginning still not sure what too make off it.
Old 11th October 2021, 09:50 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Great reviews, Nordy.
Nordicdusk likes this.
Old 11th October 2021, 09:55 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post

I'm hoping the Phantasm box set will feature in the upcoming Arrow sale.

I've still got the Anchor Bay ball set but it lives in the back room with mementos i brought back from Egypt and is a bit out of sight out of mind as it's part of the furniture so to speak.
Old 11th October 2021, 09:59 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Dawn Of The Dead. 1978.

Two S.W.A.T. members, a helicopter traffic reporter and his television executive girlfriend take shelter in a shopping mall during a zombie outbreak.

One of the best sequels in the Zombie film genre, this builds up the characters from the start with their jobs and everyone panicking on what to do until the foursome find what seems to be a safe heaven. Gaylen Ross, Ken Foree, David Emge and Scott H. Reiniger play the hapless store survivors who give up on any chance of rescue and feel safe in the mall and create a living environment.

Romero must have thought what would people do in this sort of situation and basically thought anarchy, governments will collapse and every man or group for themselves, even with doctors and scientists creating their own theory and disagreeing all the time.

Is there anything that Tom Savini didn't do in this film? he played a zombie getting whacked by a truck, a member of the biker gang, make up artist, which he wasn't too happy at times with his work for picking the wrong colour and stunt performer. This has always been a great film to me and never gets boring.

large_oJSE6vHE7Xt0wlAuUH88uVNBqSI.jpg

Like this? Share it using the links below!