Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree26818Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th October 2021, 06:15 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A Nightmare On Elm Street. 1984.

A slain child murderer who was killed by the parents of the victims comes back through the nightmares on teenagers.

This is how you do a horror, yeah we have all had nightmares jumping out of bed and screaming our lungs out but these kids have a good reason to when you got a burned faced killer chasing you. Robert Englund made this character his own and imho the remake can live long and suck it.

Wes Craven knew what he was doing and what effects he wanted for this and still hold up, still get that nerving feeling of hearing the fingers scraped along the metal like nails on a chalkboard and a good decent background score.

A_Nightmare_on_Elm_Street_(1984)_theatrical_poster.jpg
Old 6th October 2021, 06:17 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
A Nightmare On Elm Street. 1984.

A slain child murderer who was killed by the parents of the victims comes back through the nightmares on teenagers.

This is how you do a horror, yeah we have all had nightmares jumping out of bed and screaming our lungs out but these kids have a good reason to when you got a burned faced killer chasing you. Robert Englund made this character his own and imho the remake can live long and suck it.

Wes Craven knew what he was doing and what effects he wanted for this and still hold up, still get that nerving feeling of hearing the fingers scraped along the metal like nails on a chalkboard and a good decent background score.

Attachment 236705

A true classic , the sleepless nights this gave me as kid .
Justin101, MacBlayne, iank and 1 others like this.
Old 6th October 2021, 06:54 PM
Cult Addict

Theatre of Blood

So much fun to sit and watch this after a long and hard day. So easy now to see how this inspired Psychoville and League of Gentlemen.
Old 6th October 2021, 08:13 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A Nightmare On Elm St Part 2: Freddy's Revenge. 1985.

Teen Jesse has moved into the house that Nancy lived in and now begins to be tormented by Freddy who wants to possess his body so he can continue his killing spree in the real world.

The makers tried to do something else with this, first appeared in dreams now he is still in the dreams but Freddy wants to enter the real world by possession. the film does have a nod towards the sexual orientation of people and make the character to appear gay or confused. No disrespect to anyone who is LGBTC, hey your blood is the same as mine why shouldn't we be equals, suppose back in the 80s it was different, this is a solid sequel with good acting and decent effects. The critics who watched this back then should watch it now and see if they still feel the same.

freddy.jpg
Old 6th October 2021, 09:33 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

VHS 94 (2021, Various)

It's amazing what they can do on screen nowadays isn't it?
Keep that in mind.
Some fun here but I didn't think it would be possible to make a worse film than that 3rd one, but never say never
The pandering didn't help either.

Now I'm putting on Zoombies

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 6th October 2021, 09:52 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Default October 5th

House of 1000 Corpses (2003)

Rob Zombies grimy debut feature is a grizzled homage to the bygone era of Grindhouse cinema, referencing the likes of Tobe Hooper classics The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974) and 81's The Funhouse. However it's also a homage to classic horror as we witness scenes from Universal classics such as The Wolf Man (1941) and House of Frankenstein (1944) all thrust into the insanity of the Firefly family's chamber of horrors.

Seeing this for the first time on Blu-ray was pretty awesome. The cinematography is superb as is the mind bending use of film stocks and random weird clips that assault the viewer every so often, such as Sheri Moon sticking her tongue into a rotting corpse's mouth, however these film stocks make zero use of high definition, picture wise anyway.

Speaking of the cinematography. That scene where Bill Moseley's Otis has Walton Goggin's sheriff on his knees with a gun to his head. We wait for the shot to ring out. It doesn't. Zombie edges his camera out still focusing on the pair, again nothing. It's not until we get a birds eye view before the inevitable finally happens. It's a sequence that takes about thirty seconds to play out and seems like an eternity.

Terrific stuff. House of 1000 Corpses is must see October viewing for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MV5BNjUyNjU0NDE0OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNzcwMzg3._V1_.jpg (49.7 KB, 4 views)
Old 6th October 2021, 09:57 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A Nightmare On Elm, St Part 3: Dream Warriors. 1987.

Nancy returns to Springwood, this time she is now working in a psychiatry hospital helping teens who have encountered Freddy in their dreams.

"Welcome to Prime Time, Bitch", never gets old hearing that, this is one of the better sequels of the franchise, Heather Langenkamp and John Saxon return as the same characters from the first film. This time Chuck Russell is at the healm at the director seat and is able to deliver pure horror. The effects in this are far better especially with Phillip's death and being used as a puppet and Jennifer meeting a t.v. screen. The acting is on top form from everyone and a great song by Dokken.

elm-st-main.jpg

Last edited by MrBarlow; 7th October 2021 at 12:15 AM.
Old 6th October 2021, 10:05 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
House of 1000 Corpses (2003)

Terrific stuff. House of 1000 Corpses is must see October viewing for me.
I thought you would have saved this for the 30th or the 31st!

I must admit I didn't think that this film would benefit from an HD transfer but I was wrong, the blu looks great!

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 6th October 2021, 10:07 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I thought you would have saved this for the 30th or the 31st!

I must admit I didn't think that this film would benefit from an HD transfer but I was seeing, the blu looks great!
If i left it so late i wouldn't have time for The Devil's Rejects and 3 From Hell.

Although strictly speaking they should be November films seeing as they take place after the first film which is set on 30/31st October.
Old 6th October 2021, 11:39 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A Nightmare On Elm St Par 4: The Dream Master. 1988.

After the events of the psychiatric hospital, Kristen, Joey and Kincaid are back to leading a normal life, Kristen still thinks Freddy is alive and still able to pull people into her dreams. Freddy comes back and Kristen pulls her friend ALice into her dreams, now Alice must face Freddy.

This seems to get a lot of flack for being the weakest yet it was the highest grossing film of the franchise maybe everyone was thinking it would top the previous film, think the makers may have failed on some part.

Tuesday Knight who played Kirsten and sang the main song replaces Patricia Arquette, they should have promised her more money or negotiated something to get her to come back. Rodney Eastman and Ken Sagose return as Joey and Kincaid but not for long. Lisa Wilcox makes her entry as Alice as a hit or a miss due to looking the the shy girl who changes of the course of the film to a bad ass. Robert Englund is always Freddy and seems to be quick with some jokes than can generate a grin or a smirk. Enjoyable enough,

Anoes_4.jpg

Like this? Share it using the links below!