Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Horror Chat (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=557)
-   -   October Horror Movie Marathon (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-horror-chat/12632-october-horror-movie-marathon.html)

J Harker 16th October 2021 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 661463)

Cat People (1942)

The first of producer extraordinaire Val Lewton's 1940's horror films which veered away from the monsters and creatures of Universal and subjected the viewer to the powers of suggestion and the terror of what might happen, with the fabulous Simone Simon a sensual accomplice to our fears all playing out against a chilling backdrop of light and shadow.

This is wonderfully directed by the great Jacques Tourneur.

How does the transfer look Dem? I still have the old R1 dvd from the Lewton Boxset.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk

Demdike@Cult Labs 16th October 2021 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 661497)
How does the transfer look Dem? I still have the old R1 dvd from the Lewton Boxset.

It's a nice transfer. I haven't compared the two but i enjoyed watching the film again in HD.

It's Criterion though so the booklet and case art and layouts are crap. There are some good extras including the Lewton doc which is in the dvd box set.

J Harker 16th October 2021 02:12 PM

I love the film but the disc in the boxset is already a cracking av presentation. It's not one I'm sure warrants upgrading.

Demdike@Cult Labs 16th October 2021 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 661499)
I love the film but the disc in the boxset is already a cracking av presentation. It's not one I'm sure warrants upgrading.

Two years ago i had an issue with one disc in the set. For absolutely no reason whatsoever I Walked With a Zombie simply wouldn't play. The Body Snatcher was fine though.

I was fortunate enough to get a replacement from Music Magpie straight away for £6 but they are as rare as hens teeth nowadays. So what i'm saying is i want to upgrade as many as possible as i really don't want this issue to happen again.

Daveboy had exactly the same thing happen to him at the same time. I remember it well.

Nordicdusk 16th October 2021 03:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
30 days of unseen horror

Film 11

Attachment 236982

A building site in London is forced to close after two workers uncover an ancient grave site and unleash a horde of zombies. Meanwhile two brothers hatch a plan to rob a bank to save the old folks home their hard as nails granddad lives in. While they are getting prepared to blast their way out of the bank after the fuzz show up the zombie apocalypse has kicked into full swing giving the group a chance to just stroll out of their cash in hand. Now they must fight their way through the horde to save their grandad and his mates before they are overrun.

Straight to the point this is fun as f***. The zombies look brilliant there are a few of them that really didn't get i to character and looked rather bored walking down the street not quite knowing what they should be doing but that added to how funny it was. The gore and make up effect are all top of the range one of my favorites was when one guy was having his arm chewed on and the zombie gets blown away but his face was left clinging on to the arm and the football hooligans really got me too :lol:.

Alan Ford is always a joy to watch still looks like he would beat seven shades of sh!t out of you :lol: Eric in the wheelchair was hilarious trying to be more cockney than anyone else making up his own cockney slang that's so complicated the mind boggles :lol:.

8/10

Demdike@Cult Labs 16th October 2021 03:17 PM

Cockney's vs Zombies has good re-watch value too. Seen it two or three times now ands always enjoy it.

Nordicdusk 16th October 2021 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 661503)
Cockney's vs Zombies has good re-watch value too. Seen it two or three times now ands always enjoy it.

Agreed i'll be going back to it i watched it on Netflix i'll have to get a physical copy.

Demdike@Cult Labs 16th October 2021 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 661512)
Agreed i'll be going back to it i watched it on Netflix i'll have to get a physical copy.

No idea if it's out on Blu-ray but i have a dvd copy.

bleakshaun 16th October 2021 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 661456)
Just turned the 1st video off at 20 minutes, I remembered why I stopped watched Red Letter Media vids on YouTube, they're so annoying and just get louder as they go on... Hard pass, The Fog at 15 ffs lol

best of the worst is still really good

Demdike@Cult Labs 16th October 2021 06:01 PM

October 15th

1 Attachment(s)
The Lair of the White Worm (1988)

Ken Russell's classic piece of Wyrd England, Derbyshire in this case, is a brilliant example of kinky horror. Based on Bram Stoker's story this is a fun ride as Amanda Donohoe's sexy snake woman seduces all she meets - from boy scout to policeman to Peter Capaldi's archaeologist.

Taking in mythology and folklore not to mention monstrous white worms and Hugh Grant too, the whole thing is one of a rare breed of wholly original bonkers horror films and i love it.

Nice to see Grant and i share the similar fantasies. And i don't mean Liz Hurley in a pinned together black dress or blowjobs in the back of a car in LA.

Or maybe i do.

I also partly watched Hammer's Doctor Jekyll and Sister Hyde but i nodded off half way through so that doesn't count.