LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31st October 2022, 09:48 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Night Of The Demons 3. 19971.

Attachment 243013
I think you are over-tired sir!

The date doesn't exist (yet), and the picture is from the previous film!
nicholasrope and MrBarlow like this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 31st October 2022, 09:59 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
I think you are over-tired sir!

The date doesn't exist (yet), and the picture is from the previous film!
I'm not over tired...just lacking coffee
Old 31st October 2022, 10:01 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
I'm not over tired...just lacking coffee

I wasn’t going to mention it because you’re doing a great job so far lol
nicholasrope and MrBarlow like this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 31st October 2022, 10:07 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I wasn’t going to mention it because you’re doing a great job so far lol
Cheers Justin, surprised I didn't even notice it as I always preview posts before posting them...mind you it is Monday Monday morning blues have struck
Justin101 and nicholasrope like this.
Old 31st October 2022, 11:34 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Videodrome. 1983.

Watch Videdrome in 4K...Long Love The New Flesh

Another early classic Cronenberg body modification film, stuck this on infront of the Mrs and her comment was "that was a bit strange but would watch that again". It did take me a few watches to appreciate it a few years back but now love it. James Woods is a amazing actor in this along with Debbie Harry who seems to enjoy a bit of S&M.

MV5BNzdlNDk0YTMtNWJjOS00NzhlLThiOTAtZDUyOWNkNDQ2NmU3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzkwMjQ5NzM@._V1_.jpg

Up next The Beyond
Old 31st October 2022, 12:24 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default October 30th

Shadow of the Cat (1961)

In a change from what i thought was my scheduled viewing i decided to go with a couple of films i really wanted to watch again. First off from the shiny new Indicator Blu-ray box set i fancied a bit of Barbara Shelley, along with Hazel Court my favourite horror leading lady from the classic horror period.

For all their Gothic leanings Hammer never really ventured or even strayed down two paths - The typical old dark house chiller and the stories of Edgar Allan Poe. Poe you could argue had been a mainstay for AIP and Roger Corman from 1959 onwards but the lack of old dark house films is surprising when you think about it. Of course many Hammer films featured old dark houses but never really the 'old dark house' traits of 'expected inheritances', 'weird and wonderful freaky families' and of course murders on dark and stormy nights.

However Shadow of the Cat would change all that. A Hammer film in all but name, Shadow of the Cat was directed by John Gilling and filmed at Bray Studios, the home of Hammer yet their name is nowhere to be seen on the films credits, instead that honour goes to BHP Productions due to Hammer's contractual obligations to Columbia in America.

The film itself is a definitely mixture of Poe's The Black Cat and classic old dark house horror. The cat from the title witnesses the murder of it's owner and seemingly takes revenge on those responsible and those who turn up to the reading of her will intent on taking all they can. The only one who has no agenda is played by Hammer's most talented female star Barbara Shelley, who constantly stands up for the cat amid the desperation and paranoia to kill it.

For what is very much a Hammer b-movie Shadow of the Cat has a terrific ensemble cast. As well as Shelley we have Andre Morell, Freda Jackson, William Lucas and Conrad Phillips and they all have substantial and / or pivotal roles. The house itself - Bray Studios - naturally looks great and director John Gilling and photographer Arthur Grant's black and white cinematography is both beautiful and innovative, especially in the way murders are seen from a slightly distorted cats eye view which lends proceeding both a memorable and creepier edge.

When all's said and done, Shadow of the Cat isn't absolute top level Hammer, but for fans of Barbara Shelley and 'old dark house' thrillers it's a must see.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2_shadow-of-the-cat-40x60-1961.jpg (83.6 KB, 2 views)
Old 31st October 2022, 12:26 PM
Cult Master

IMG_20221031_131004.jpg

Kicking of the days festivities with one of my favourite films everything about this film blows me away apart from Mr Linden who is a pretty annoying sex predator type . The organ music playing throughout is so haunting. Just an beautiful film in so many ways.
Old 31st October 2022, 01:05 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Shadow of the Cat (1961)
I very nearly watched this on Saturday night and i'm glad that I didn't in the end because I turned out to be in one of those fussy moods and nothing was engaging me, I even turned Dawn of the Dead off after 40 minutes

I'm going to watch this and Captain Clegg in a couple of weeks time

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 31st October 2022, 01:12 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Beyond. 1981.

Catriona MacColl is the lucky one who inherits a small hotel that is situated over the many gates of hell and David Warbeck is the doctor trying to help her solve the problem of keeping it closed. Fulci manages to shock us right from the start with hot wax poured over a man that's nailed to the wall, a woman has acid poured on her face, a spider attack and a eye popping out. One film where the plot is all over the place yet still manages to be entertaining. Seeing as I put my Mrs through this (which she enjoyed) she wants Paranormal Activity On so that be up next.

The-Beyond-Poster.jpg
Old 31st October 2022, 01:43 PM
Cult Master

IMG_20221031_143900.jpg

Film 2 of the day not seen this for a long time trying to mix it up a bit more this year.

Like this? Share it using the links below!