All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree26818Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th October 2023, 04:43 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Ah, that sounds like fun now.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 6th October 2023, 05:21 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Default October 5th.

Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2 (2000)

I realise this is one of those films i write about on this thread practically every year. I also realise that most people actually think it sucks big time.

However i always really enjoy it. One of the reasons is the terrific eerie soundtrack from Carter Burwell and the choice of songs set around it.

As the film ends and the closing credits begin the camera lifts away from the woods as the gorgeous Haunted by Poe (One of my all time favourite songs) manifests itself through the speakers until we get a fantastic birds eye view of the Burkittsville woods on a dreamy Autumnal day. A few minutes later the song morphs into the industrial thrasher that is The Reckoning by Godhead and the camera crashes back down to earth before battering and flailing it's way through the trees.

It's clever things such as this that this film does right and i think it has a hell of a lot of re-watch value.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1306 (Large).JPG (93.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1307 (Large).jpg (89.5 KB, 5 views)
Old 6th October 2023, 05:27 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2 (2000)

I realise this is one of those films i write about on this thread practically every year. I also realise that most people actually think it sucks big time.

However i always really enjoy it. One of the reasons is the terrific eerie soundtrack from Carter Burwell and the choice of songs set around it.

As the film ends and the closing credits begin the camera lifts away from the woods as the gorgeous Haunted by Poe (One of my all time favourite songs) manifests itself through the speakers until we get a fantastic birds eye view of the Burkittsville woods on a dreamy Autumnal day. A few minutes later the song morphs into the industrial thrasher that is The Reckoning by Godhead and the camera crashes back down to earth before battering and flailing it's way through the trees.

It's clever things such as this that this film does right and i think it has a hell of a lot of re-watch value.
I always mean to go back and watch this when ever you review it I have only seen it the once when it released and I do remember enjoying it but I really need a refresh.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 6th October 2023, 05:32 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
I always mean to go back and watch this when ever you review it I have only seen it the once when it released and I do remember enjoying it but I really need a refresh.
The soundtrack should be right up your street.

Marilyn Manson, Rob Zombie, Godhead, Tony Iommi and Dave Grohl, Queens of the Stone Age... Feel Good Hit of the Summer plays when the group are all getting stoned and going crazy so it's music that suits scenes.
Old 6th October 2023, 05:34 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The soundtrack should be right up your street.

Marilyn Manson, Rob Zombie, Godhead, Tony Iommi and Dave Grohl, Queens of the Stone Age... Feel Good Hit of the Summer plays when the group are all getting stoned and going crazy so it's music that suits scenes.
I must give the soundtrack a listen later if it's on YouTube.
Old 6th October 2023, 05:50 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
I must give the soundtrack a listen later if it's on YouTube.
The dvd is one of those early double sided dvd / cd affairs. The first side holds the film and the reverse has some of the songs and all 16 tracks of the Carter Burwell score.
Old 6th October 2023, 07:07 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Scream 4. 2011.

10 years have passed since the Woodsboro massacre, Dewey is now Sherrif and married to Gale, Sidney is on a book tour and another ghostface killer is about. Bit of a comical start saying Saw IV is lame, a in joke by Craven again to start a battle that he did with Sam Raimi, harmless fun. The usual 3 crowd people return and a seem to be more in depth with thenl characters and Gail still trying to get more lime light. My expectations of this was being low but its more enjoyable than the previous installment.

c2gf4gLMEDKciWZIN2XTYUp2J3m.jpg
Old 6th October 2023, 09:08 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

V/H/S 85 (2023, Various)

I must say I rather enjoyed this one more than that last palaver. Tis on the Shudder etc. For once it's not just campers and silly cultists, well ...
Ahem. Plus some slight interlacing here and there made it more of a whole than just vignettes this time imho.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 6th October 2023, 09:31 PM
Cult Master

30 Days of Unseen Horror

Day 6

MV5BMGE5MzM4NDItZTgwNy00MDBjLWI2ODQtNzVjMzBhMjVhMjkyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjI4MjA5MzA@._V1_.jpg

In the small English village of Midwich a very mysterious thing happens when the entire village including animals fall into a deep sleep for several hours. Things gets even stranger when a couple of months later every woman in the village capable of having a child becomes pregnant even those who have never even slept with a man. As if both of those things were not weird enough the unborn children are growing at a faster rate than regular unborn children and once they are born their progression keeps going way ahead of time physically and mentally plus all the children have the same hair and crazy glowing eyes and the people are sacred out of their wits.

What a fantastic opening this film has with all the villagers laying all over the place cars are crashed chores abandoned farm animals flat out in the fields but it's the silence that gets you and it's an eerie silence that speaks a thousand words. The children are amazing even tho most of them just stand their staring at people they do a great job of making you feel uncomfortable and they make you more and more uncomfortable as the film goes on as they grow in power and their actions become more and more sinister it really is a great performance from such young kids.

Village of the Damned is quite a dark film as I said the kids get more brutal as they grow in power I mean that shotgun scene was so effective and shocking not something I was expecting from this at all then again the whole film was nothing like I expected it to be it's much much darker than I could of imagined. One other scene that I found quite powerful was when the teenage girl discovered she was pregnant the fear confusion and shock on her face really made you feel for her just sheer panic.

From a comedy point of view there was one great scene that really made me laugh where all the men from the village are standing in the pub in complete silence stairing into their pints in disbelief that all the women were pregnant

Wonderfully acted great story and much darker than I expected a brilliant film.
Old 6th October 2023, 09:59 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckyFunster View Post
5. The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Miss Osbourne

First time watch

From Wikipedia : “Docteur Jekyll et les femmes never opened commercially in the United States, and in Britain, it played at one cinema for one week”. Wikipedia then goes on to say that despite the film winning Borowczyk the best director award at the 1981 Sitges film festival the film itself was never released in any medium in the UK or US until the Arrow Video blu ray in 2015. This is surely indicative that the film is aimed at the critics rather than the general public. And certainly not at me! I found it boring and stupid. Why would Jekyll continually change back and forth between Hyde and himself when the ‘antidote’ is scarce and running out? Why did it all take place in the one house on the one night? Why did no one suggest everyone hiding together in one room when there was apparently a madman on the loose? It had “Jurassic World : Fallen Kingdom” levels of plot holes.

Another one for the “How much did I f*cking pay for this?!” pile. Well, actually, I watched it last night and took it to CeX this morning - didn’t even put it back on the shelf.

Attachment 248221

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I really like the atmospheric disorientating opening sequence. After that it was nonsense. Dull nonsense.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
MuckyFunster likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!