Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree26818Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th October 2023, 01:42 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Mangler. 1995.

Robert Englind plays the textile factory owner with a mangling machine that is possessed by a demonic entity. Ted Levine plays the detective investigating officer who seems to think that something is very off with the factory, owner and the machine itself.

Based on the short story from the imagination of Stephen King and director Tobe Hooper who does tries his best with the budget he is given. This was the first time seeing this and heard it can be a hit or miss but this wasn't as bad as it has been made out to be. The short story may have been a few pages and stretched out to 105 minutes. The machine on the chase looks very cartoonish and not really believable, but it helped part of my night go by.

91xUnfF0XuL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg
Old 6th October 2023, 10:20 AM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

30 Days of Unseen Horror

Day 5

Castle_of_Blood_(1964)_poster.jpg

Hearing of the arrival of Edgar Allen Poe in London a journalist for a newspaper tracks him down hoping to secure an interview but things get off to a bad start when the journalist straight away starts to down play his writings as fantasy but Mr Poe insists his works are based in reality and truth. While acting cocky and boasting about his own bravery when it comes to things of the supernatural the journalist is offered a wager to test his claims one which his own pride won't allow him refuse. For 100 pounds he must stay the night in a country manor a two hour coach ride away and survive the night something which has never been done before. Mr Poe pushes the idea by agreeing to go for the journey and give the interview the journalist has longed for so in his mind it's a win win an interview a chance to show his bravery and a 100 pounds to sweeten the deal. No one is making a wager like that without confidence that they won't have to pay out so our journalist friend is going to be in for an interesting night.

Castle of Blood is a fantastic film it has it all a great story an unforgettable creepy atmosphere and the manor looks so dark and gloomy but in a beautiful way. This is more than just a creepy tale there is also a very heavy feeling of sadness loss and loneliness a longing to find a feeling of happiness even if just for one night which makes the story that more tragic. On the surface of it you may think it's just an old dark house film but their are many layers to this and while fun it's also a bit depressing when you sit back afterwards and think of what you have just watched but that's was makes it so beautiful yes there is that word again but that's the perfect word to sum up my feelings about this.

Everything you want from this type of film and if you dig a little deeper there is more and that's what will make Castle of Blood stick with you.

I'm vague in giving details but it's better to go in without knowing too much you will be thankful.
Old 6th October 2023, 02:55 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

DEAD OF NIGHT – The swirling, disembodied voices that beckon soldier boy Andy back from the dead tell you ‘Dead Of Night’ is one of those seventies horror movies where reality is always about to crumble. It’s by Bob Clark, who of course went on to make ‘Black Christmas’, well known for being a proto slasher but more famous in my eyes just for being the one with the creeped out googoo gaga telephone voice. DON is in a lower key, but it’s more affecting. Andy returns from ‘Nam to the family home, where everyone is overjoyed to see him – after all, the ministry told them he was dead. They’re a bit less keen after they realise how much he’s changed. There’s a lot going on behind DON’s façade of B movie efficiency, for it touches on grief, PTSD, addiction, the hypocrisies of the all-American family, the war stuff, the changing times, all of it playing out behind brisk scenes in which melodrama gives way to the shadowy flipside of suburban life (or living death). A subtle example of this happens early on when they’re sat around the dinner table, having a good laugh because everything’s great now their son’s come back from the dead and all, and there’s just something about their grins that seems too wide, too toothy… I don’t think they even used lens effects, it’s just the way the bombardment of that incessant, fake, bad dream laughter skews your perceptions. Later, the film takes us into more overt grindhouse territory – it’s never all that graphic, but scenes of Andy prowling the night, his half-lit face putrid and wild eyed, have an EC type urgency to them, as does the bit where he flips out and decides to strangle the family pooch in front of a load of screaming kids (!) The burden that any horror film must carry is to deliver on expectations, to shock or amuse in all the right places, and ‘Dead Of Night’ does not shirk its duty. But the tone is not one of gleeful mayhem. The overriding feeling is elegiac, I’ve always felt that there’s just something really sad about it; keep those tissues handy for the end, when he crawls convulsing to the grave in his mother’s arms - what a downer! Hackneyed though its ‘Monkey’s Paw’ barebones may be, ‘Dead Of Night’ is one of the drive-in era’s most thoughtful entries, and its ghoulish air conceals quite a powerful emotional core.
Old 6th October 2023, 03:30 PM
Cult Acolyte

s-l1600 (19).jpg
A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET (1984)

Excellent first outing for Freddy Krueger. I mentioned before that when I saw this at the cinema, the audience reaction was great. The only time I have seen people jumping and screaming at a cinema showing.
I have seen the other films in the series but nothing comes close to this original movie.
Old 6th October 2023, 03:54 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Default October Horror Movie Marathon

5. The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Miss Osbourne

First time watch

From Wikipedia : “Docteur Jekyll et les femmes never opened commercially in the United States, and in Britain, it played at one cinema for one week”. Wikipedia then goes on to say that despite the film winning Borowczyk the best director award at the 1981 Sitges film festival the film itself was never released in any medium in the UK or US until the Arrow Video blu ray in 2015. This is surely indicative that the film is aimed at the critics rather than the general public. And certainly not at me! I found it boring and stupid. Why would Jekyll continually change back and forth between Hyde and himself when the ‘antidote’ is scarce and running out? Why did it all take place in the one house on the one night? Why did no one suggest everyone hiding together in one room when there was apparently a madman on the loose? It had “Jurassic World : Fallen Kingdom” levels of plot holes.

Another one for the “How much did I f*cking pay for this?!” pile. Well, actually, I watched it last night and took it to CeX this morning - didn’t even put it back on the shelf.

IMG_8080.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 6th October 2023, 04:00 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckyFunster View Post
5. The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Miss Osbourne

First time watch

From Wikipedia : “Docteur Jekyll et les femmes never opened commercially in the United States, and in Britain, it played at one cinema for one week”. Wikipedia then goes on to say that despite the film winning Borowczyk the best director award at the 1981 Sitges film festival the film itself was never released in any medium in the UK or US until the Arrow Video blu ray in 2015. This is surely indicative that the film is aimed at the critics rather than the general public. And certainly not at me! I found it boring and stupid. Why would Jekyll continually change back and forth between Hyde and himself when the ‘antidote’ is scarce and running out? Why did it all take place in the one house on the one night? Why did no one suggest everyone hiding together in one room when there was apparently a madman on the loose? It had “Jurassic World : Fallen Kingdom” levels of plot holes.

Another one for the “How much did I f*cking pay for this?!” pile. Well, actually, I watched it last night and took it to CeX this morning - didn’t even put it back on the shelf.

Attachment 248221

I was the same, bought due to Udo Kier being in it, watched it and just about cried at the 15 quid i spent on it that could have been put towards a decent film.
MuckyFunster likes this.
Old 6th October 2023, 04:02 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

I like it.

It improves with repeated viewings.
Old 6th October 2023, 04:04 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I like it.

It improves with repeated viewings.
How many times have you watched it Dem....or dare i ask
MuckyFunster likes this.
Old 6th October 2023, 04:05 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
After the new Backrooms video gave me the willies, I needed someting comforting ....

The Thing (1982)

What can I say about a film that I think I've watched over 100 times ahem. I still see something new every time.
Is it the last great 70's film cough cough? Hmm. Calm down.
An isolated group fend off an unseen terror. It's a lovely old trope innit? Sort of soothing don't you know ...
Ahem. I still remember how depressed I was after leaving the cinema that time. What a film.

I saw The Thing at the Glasgow film festival a few years ago. They set up deck chairs on an indoor ski slope and we all sat under blankets in the snow watching the film on a big screen at the bottom of the slope. They even had a real huskie run across the bottom of the slope just before the dog appeared on the screen. Was a fantastic experience!

Old 6th October 2023, 04:43 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
How many times have you watched it Dem....or dare i ask
Three i think.

Like this? Share it using the links below!