Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree26818Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th October 2020, 04:53 PM
Cult Addict

The Lodge

A couples weekend getaway to an isolated lodge ends in terror when the man they rented it from turns out to be insane.
For me this was forgettable, maybe if I never watched it after a long shift I would have remembered more. Maybe I'll watch it again in a couple of years.

Old 15th October 2020, 05:11 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Playing catch up i missed last night so i have to watch two now i hope they are better than the last few
Old 15th October 2020, 06:12 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
Halfway up the hill, so let's celebrate with -

NIGHT OF THE DEMON (1980) – Christ, I’d forgotten how mental this one is; it’s tempting to list all of NOTD’s many bizarre flourishes, but I’d need a separate thread. It’s a grindhouse take on Bigfoot that made the Nasty List back in Thatcher’s Britain, but, like ‘Don’t Go Near The Park’, it’s much more of an assault on ordinary common sense and logic than public decency. You get a flavour of what’s to come right from the start, when an unhappy camper’s ravaged arm stump flaps in the soil and sends blood spurting into a nearby footprint... a BIGfootprint, geddit? The credits roll over that little scene, which you wouldn’t expect to set the tone for the entire film, but it does. NOTF becomes a blur of ultra-stiff performances, woodland scenes set to prime seventies easy listening music or screeching electronic noise, and absolutely bizarre kills – forget about the dick-ripping that everyone mentions, what they should be talking about is the bit where Bigfoot seems to murder two knife-brandishing girl scouts by slamming them together until they stab each other to death! Quite literally unbelievable. Even the quieter moments let the craziness seep in – witness the strange fireside seduction of one camper by another, as relayed by badly framed close ups of their faces and a finger pushing a chess piece. OK, you had to be there, but the point is, there isn’t really much in NOTD that resembles even partial sanity. That’s not to say it doesn’t have its longueurs, and it would be probably more accurate to say that it alternates between boring stretches of nothingness and unintentional psychedelia. But the slow motion, entrail-whirling climax will linger on in your mind, even as the rest of NOTD fades like a bad dream

:h ail:
Frankie Teardrop likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 15th October 2020, 06:19 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Evidence (2012)

Decentish if overwrought FFer. A documentary maker drags his partner and two friends along for the ride when he decides to investigate shenanigans in the local woods ahem.
What they find isn't ..... friendly. He's such a clod though. the evidence is there in front of him, but he's the tortured artist par excellence this one , so it's all about his opus and damn the consequences. Of which there are plenty.
Not for everyone, and the wild swerve it takes at the end may annoy more than unsettle.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 15th October 2020, 06:45 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

[REC] 4: Apocalypse. 2014.

At the building where it all started, a new SWAT team go in with one instruction plant explosive devices and bring the building down, as they near the end of the plan they find a survivor Angela. The two remaining SWAT team members, Angela and a woman from the wedding party are taking on board a ship while doctors try to study the outbreak with a infected host. When the host is let loose can anyone survive the doomed voyage.

This one I never really had high hopes for when I first saw it, outbreak on a boat people running about daft etc, but it did surprise me how it worked, It's not filmed as found footage but does bring back the suspense and tension of being in a confined space mixed with claustrophobia. The acting is done brilliantly with plenty of tension built up around the boat and a good amount of blood splatter. Only down side to this movie was the ending as it was left open for another movie yet the makers insist there won't be a fifth.

514nDobGiTL.jpg
Old 15th October 2020, 10:36 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Crocodile. 2000.

A group of college friends head to the wilderness for a spring break party only to be attacked by a giant crocodile.

From Director Tobe Hooper who decided to make another giant man eating crocodile film for reasons he took them to his grave, this was not his best film, the acting wasn't too bad for some and the others I was begging for them to be eaten up quickly and put out of their misery. The CGI effects were not the greatest and seemed out of place, it did have it's moments of enjoyable and makes me wanna dig out Death Trap, do I dare watch the second one.

affiche-crocodile-2000-1.jpg
Old 15th October 2020, 10:41 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Give me Crocodile over Death Trap any day.
MrBarlow likes this.
Old 15th October 2020, 10:46 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Give me Crocodile over Death Trap any day.
I always thought Death Trap was high on your list to watch Dem.
Old 15th October 2020, 11:04 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
I always thought Death Trap was high on your list to watch Dem.
Not me, definitely not.

Here's what i said when Frankie T reviewed it a few years back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Well Frankie i'm definitely in the loathe camp.

However after reading your excellent review i want to watch it again.

So take some pleasure from the fact that i'll either change my opinion and enjoy the movie, or you've bored and frustrated me for 90 minutes.

Either way, you should be proud of the review.
I didn't bother rewatching.
Frankie Teardrop and MrBarlow like this.
Old 15th October 2020, 11:44 PM
Cult Addict

I like Death Trap, it's far from perfect, too much scenery chewing from Neville Brand, but it has Marylyn Burns, Morticia ,a Scythe, a swamp and a big bitey lizard type creature. ( i can never tell if they're Alligators or Crocodiles myself.)
Surely that's worth a watch.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.

Like this? Share it using the links below!