Like Tree26818Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th October 2023, 04:33 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Default October 9th

Murder Party (2007)

A mildly entertaining film about a strange group of art students who arrange a murder party one Halloween and drop a random invitation on the street in the hope someone will find it. And someone does; a parking ticket guy with the personality of a dish cloth.

What ensues is an hour of sitting round in a basement talking shit before said shit hits the fan and everyone turns on each other and there's a bit of a killing spree. For something with a tiny budget there's a hell of a lot worse horror offerings out there and the gore on show is bloodily gruesome, although pacing is certainly an issue despite the film being a mere eighty minutes.

Second time round and i still can't quite make my mind up regarding this one. It's occasionally pretty impressive, at other times extremely annoying and at other times plain downright odd. Despite being tied to a chair in order to be murdered the ticket guy when he finally gets away after almost being hacked to death several times just goes back home moves the cat from the chair, turns on the tv and eats cereal - priceless.

One of those films that if Cex were to give me a quid for it then it would be gone but as it is i doubt that's the case so i'll end up watching it again a few years down the line and thinking exactly the same thoughts over again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1333 (Large).jpg (93.4 KB, 4 views)
Old 10th October 2023, 05:49 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Subspecies V: Bloodrise. 2023.

Charles Band And Ted Nicolau return to the franchise with Romanian Vampire Radu, this time showing how he became a vampire. Yeah it does have a feel of Dracula to it, growing up becoming a knight and battling a crusade, this time our vampire has no incline on his family.

Anders Hove returns as Radu both human and vampire, it was 20 odd years since he last played the character and feels like he never left and certainly warms into the persona of the creature of night perfectly. Filmed in Serbia and using the location for Romania with great set pieces and cinematography, you really cant tell much difference. Is it enjoyable, yes it is. A worthy entry into the franchise? I would say it was. If you liked the previous films check this one out.

p24706743_p_v8_aa.jpg
Old 10th October 2023, 06:36 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default October 9th (2)

The Black Torment (1964)

In 1780 Sir Richard Fordyke returns to his family estate with his new bride and finds himself under suspicion of rape, murder and witchcraft.

I first saw this film in around 1991. I was staying with a girlfriend on a Rhyll caravan site. As with all British summers it was pouring with rain and the wind was blowing a gale. She went to bed and i stayed up a while to watch this on tv.

Due to the films atmosphere and dimly lit photography it fit perfectly with my surroundings, the wind and rain hammering at the caravan, its every joint aching and creaking. The Black Torment hit a nerve and properly chilled me to the bone. It was just a case of right place, right time, but its one of the few films that actually achieved this and there's just something about this film i still find incredibly creepy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1335 (Large).jpg (93.8 KB, 4 views)
Old 10th October 2023, 06:51 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
Every part of it has some cause and effect on the other segments, it's really well written in my opinion. The only thing I don't really get is, who the heck is Sam??
Replying to a post from Justin during last years Halloween marathon as i missed it back then.

Sam is Samhain. The spirit of Halloween. He visits all who don't take All Hallows Eve seriously or ruins it's traditions.

It's all explained in the making of docs on the dvd.
Justin101 and Susan Foreman like this.
Old 10th October 2023, 08:48 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Tales Of Terror. 1963.

Roger Corman brings us three tales of spooky stories from the imagination of Edgar Allen Poe.

A young woman reunites with her father who he blames for his wife's death. A man kills his wife and lover and walls them up while a black cat's whail can be heard. A man on the brink of death goes under hypnotherapy only for it to take a darker turn. Corman teams up with Vincent Price who stars in all three stories and is teamed up with Peter Lorre and Basil Rathbone. Classic spine chilling tales that never get dull or boring just better with every viewing.

81SPaZcAXmL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg
Old 10th October 2023, 09:07 PM
Cult Acolyte

I'd like to see more Price, but everything costs so bloody much these days.
Demoncrat and MrBarlow like this.
Old 10th October 2023, 09:42 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
I'd like to see more Price, but everything costs so bloody much these days.
I take it the price is never right?
Demoncrat, iank and MrBarlow like this.
Old 10th October 2023, 10:01 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quick round up

Halloween 3 with the Tom Atkins comm. Decent enough if you want to learn more about his career ahem. They do cover the film. You learn some things.

Totally Killer (2023, Nahnatchka Khan)

The set up did intrigue. How would Wokewood translate the ayteeeeees ahem. They ... fcuk it up royally . no one played Lady In Red whilst the party was in full swing ffs
Ahem. Happy Death Day was funnier. Stick wid dat

Quatermass & The Pit (1967, Roy Ward Baker)

Folk horror this time with old Bernie kind of slidelined in this one. The things you notice on BD
Yet again, I can only gape slack jawed at the detail on display.
Our Professor, whilst hustling for funding is drawn into a strange affair centred around a recent archeaological dig. What they've found may change history somewhat cough cough ...
Still as masterful as ever.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 10th October 2023, 11:00 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Unwelcome

A couple get attacked so they move to Ireland where they are informed that if they don't provide an offering to some (Apparently) mythical creatures, bad things happen. However when they run a fowl of some locals, those creatures come in handy. Interesting idea and for the most part, it was decent but there was something missing from this Movie.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg u.jpg (12.3 KB, 5 views)
Old 10th October 2023, 11:03 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
30 Days of Unseen Horror

Day 8

Attachment 248255

Zeke Banks is an undercover cop with a turbulent history with his fellow police officers after he exposed a corrupt cop something the rest of the force won't let him forget. Zeke and his new partner are sent to investigate a homeless man hit by a train but when they arrive at the scene clues are left to indicate this is no homeless bum but a cop. Back at the preceint Zeke receives a package with a usb stick that has a video from a Jigsaw copycat but this time they are targeting crooked cops.

Spiral is a mixed bag its a good cop thriller for the most part but there are so many cop film cliches it hurts from the usual veteran cop who is forced to partner up with a rookie and at first treats his partner like shit but slowly warms to him and the cliche " hey ! Good job today partner " bs .

The gore and traps are the usual Saw awesomeness I loved them all and I was asking myself what would I do in the situation. The voice of spiral or what ever is name was I can't remember if they said but anyway the voice was terrible it didn't create tension or fear just made me want to laugh when he said wanna play a game just no conviction is the voice and not commanding your attention.

Chris Rock is a terrible actor it's shocking he is supposed to be this tough rookie cop but you don't believe it for a second and when he is angry or trying to stand up to the other cops he comes across goofy instead of a guy to be feared. Sam Jackson on the other hand is great as always he really is the stand out performance sadly he isn't in many scenes the film could really have benefited from his presence.

Overall it's enjoyable but extremely flawed.
Chris Rock is really good in New Jack City but I do agree about the Voice, it was no Tobin Bell and you couldn't take it seriously.

Like this? Share it using the links below!