Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th February 2011, 11:14 PM
Cult Rookie

Driller Killer!! What a terrible creation!
Old 20th February 2011, 05:16 AM
Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misfitfiend1989 View Post
Driller Killer!! What a terrible creation!
How did I miss this one? What a snoozefest!

The Hillside Cannibals is another dreadful one too.
Old 20th February 2011, 06:12 AM
Cultist in Training

The variety of films contained in the dislike lists in this thread is
one of the reasons I find the horror genre so endlessly endearing, unusual
and so particular. There's no other film genre like it where such a divide of opinion exists for films such as "Blair Witch" "The Shining" "Phenomena" and "Dawn of the Dead" for instance. It's rare these days to find a viewer of such films above to say "yeah it was alright" or "Perhaps I should re-evaluate it later with a friend". These films are Bovril and peanut butter. The fans are dedicated or utterly hate them to the point where they get actually get angry about how much they despise the films. I find it fascinating. : )

But to the list. Horror films I don't like. I've got a pretty good tolerance for trash built in but most of the recent remakes I can't abide, not because they aren't well made but mostly because of the pointlessness of their existence, the infuriating stance of Hollywood to embrace new idea's and scripts.
It constantly confounds me that keen young directors will take on these remake projects simply to get a foot in the door, rather than fight to the death and use their savvy to fit into the modern strict commercial regime to get their fresh vision seen. Remakes IMO are only acceptable to me when they exist strictly in the fan realm or when the original is so utterly atrocious, it's loved by no one and the fact it's a remake would actually go unnoticed.

So with my list, I won't list any remakes because I think I've made my feelings clear.

The Toetagpictures. I actually always feel sad in saying it because it should be the exact opposite. I totally respect the DIY aesthetic, the confrontational attitude and the dedication to the FX but to be honest, any potential talents here are being thrown in the bin. These films simply try TOO hard, they aren't as clever as they think they are and they don't grasp the simple basics of knowing how to properly draw an apple before you can say your art is abstract.

Murder Set Pieces. Absolutely arrogant and silly, boring trash. I found it impossible to enjoy, not because I was scared to watch, not because I found the gore scenes repugnant but basically because again, it's a film that thinks it's cleverer than it is and that simply being as offensive and gory as possible is good enough to cement its reputation. I am always eager to embrace over the top offensive gory films but as a viewer who's been spoiled by 101 film basics like an engaging plot, a character to root for and a unique look to the photography (I shouldn't have to mention once again, Evil Dead, T.C.M, both 16mm classics that most young film makers still look up to in 2011), expecting at least a couple of instances where some flair for the genre would show itself perhaps was too much to ask for here.

The Saw Franchise. This series drives me nuts. I hated the first film, simply because it was so daft, so many obvious mistakes that at times were so infuriating that it was like the filmmakers were taunting me. When it actually became a popular series I just shook my head in dismay.

If a franchise based on the premise of an intelligent influential person using other people to do his dirty work whilst hiding behind a crappy puppet because he's so insecure about just topping them off himself is a new or good idea, then I'm a race driver. Not a single Saw movie has produced a character I cared about for a second, the victims plights are hard to be sympathetic about because the scripts are so eager to justify the fact they deserve to die because they didn't share the maltesers or something with their family. It's embarrassing. End the series now, PLEASE...
Old 20th February 2011, 06:26 AM
Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dissolvedpaul View Post

Murder Set Pieces. Absolutely arrogant and silly, boring trash. I found it impossible to enjoy, not because I was scared to watch, not because I found the gore scenes repugnant but basically because again, it's a film that thinks it's cleverer than it is and that simply being as offensive and gory as possible is good enough to cement its reputation. I am always eager to embrace over the top offensive gory films but as a viewer who's been spoiled by 101 film basics like an engaging plot, a character to root for and a unique look to the photography (I shouldn't have to mention once again, Evil Dead, T.C.M, both 16mm classics that most young film makers still look up to in 2011), expecting at least a couple of instances where some flair for the genre would show itself perhaps was too much to ask for here.
Completely agree with this one. I felt really let down when I eventually got around to watching MSP. I was expecting to be really shocked and grossed out but I really wasn't in the slightest bit effected by it, probably because it has such a weak plot and lack of interesting characters that it didn't succeed in drawing me in enough to even give a damn what was happening to anyone on screen. Terribly dull. As much as I LOVE gore, films like this make me realise that gore is actually completely ineffective if it doesn't have some basic film-making skill behind it to back it up.
Old 20th February 2011, 06:49 AM
Twilight Zone Co-ordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dissolvedpaul View Post
The Saw Franchise. This series drives me nuts. I hated the first film, simply because it was so daft, so many obvious mistakes that at times were so infuriating that it was like the filmmakers were taunting me. When it actually became a popular series I just shook my head in dismay.

If a franchise based on the premise of an intelligent influential person using other people to do his dirty work whilst hiding behind a crappy puppet because he's so insecure about just topping them off himself is a new or good idea, then I'm a race driver. Not a single Saw movie has produced a character I cared about for a second, the victims plights are hard to be sympathetic about because the scripts are so eager to justify the fact they deserve to die because they didn't share the maltesers or something with their family. It's embarrassing. End the series now, PLEASE...
There are a lot of the generally more well regarded films mentioned in this thread where I disagree with the posters opinion. This is fine. They took a shot with a movie and didn't like it. Fair enough, can't argue with that.

Your thoughts on the Saw series baffle me though. Your post suggests that you've seen them all, yet you didn't even like the first film. I can't imagine continually watching a series that I hated like that; I'd have given up a couple of films in, or even after the first if I disliked it that much. It would seem to me to be going out of my way to be offended by something, which is something that I hate, because horror has had to endure that from busy bodies sticking their noses into something that shouldn't even be on their radar for years.

I don't think it's so much that the series should end (I think it should, but for different reasons than you), but that you should have stopped watching it.
Old 20th February 2011, 08:19 AM
Cultist in Training

Ok, I do admit I came off a bit stronger than intended there regarding the Saw films but you shouldn't feel so baffled about it, it's not that complicated actually, don't read so much into it! ; ) Online text without a real life tone of voice often doesn't do a good job of expressing a view 100% and I certainly didn't properly convey every possible feeling I have about it, just my heavy handed one obviously.

Yes, I think the Saw films are silly and over the top (and I'll also admit that I'm probably giving them a hard time because I pine for older, less flashy movies, (give me "The Beyond" or "Rosemary's Killer" any day) and coming across being a bit one sided, I certainly can't say I didn't enjoy some of the elaborate mouse traps in the later movies) and I think that's what puzzles me, I was expecting to enjoy them more than I did! The ingredients are there for the Saw films to be amazing but for me personally, they don't do it.
It's the same mystery as to say why I love "Blair witch" and the next person doesn't. It's hard to give a simple explanation.

But just because a series continually didn't deliver, doesn't mean as a horror fan, I didn't hold out hope that the next one might actually be watchable and be tempted to watch every installment. For me to simply assume that the next film in a franchise would be terrible, simply because I didn't enjoy the previous one would be a bit silly. I could be missing out on a classic!
I like to give everything a chance which is why i think I've sat through most of the Amityville, Friday the 13th, Puppet Master, hell, even the Witchcraft series!
Perhaps I'm a Trash masochist. : ) But yes of COURSE I saw the majority of the Saw Series and maybe that's some kind of pointer in their favour.
I do eventually see most horror films, be it If I've gone out of my way to watch them or not (my lass has to review a lot of horror films, she's a horror hostess). I think the only films I've actively avoided recently actually are Rob Zombie's 'Halloween 2' (Because I haven't forgiven him for remaking the first one at all) and the remake of 'Last house on the Left'.
Old 20th February 2011, 01:23 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

The Toetag films are abysmal IMO. They're juvenile and pointless. But, as a showcase for Vogel's special effects, they work well. But as entertaining films in their own right, they fail miserably. Gore for gore's sake is simply lazy filmmaking. If you continually throw extreme imagery at the viewer, it quickly ceases to be shocking and becomes tedious and sleep inducing. So, sorry, no love here for the Toetag series of films.

Blair Witch Project is another one I couldn't get along with. I appreciate the innovation of working on a low budget and that for some people it might tap into their fears, but for me it was like a home video of some whiney American kids wandering around in the woods. It didn't scare me in the slightest and I thought it was atrocious. The only other film in recent memory that has been similarly hyped and is equally rubbish, is Paranormal Activity. What an appalling waste of film that was. It was awful on so many different levels I don't even know where to start trashing it.

Saying all that, I do appreciate that filmmakers are at least attempting something original, it's just a shame that some of them fail so spectacularly. You want a good example of low budget indie filmmaking? Refer to Raimi's The Evil Dead which succeeds brilliantly, even though it probably shouldn't!

But for me, the two absolutely most dire films I've ever had the misfortune sit through were The Lunar Pack and The Zombie Chronicles. My God, these were two of the most incompetent and thoroughly inept films I've ever seen. The Lunar Pack has to be seen to believed - and how the hell they managed to talk Debbie Rochon into hosting the wraparound segments beggars belief - and she looks almost apologetic for being there! And a sure runner up to these two is the bafflingly incoherent and incompetent Frankenstein and the Mosnter from Blood Cove. I wanted to tear my eyes out of my head and throw them at the TV! Yes, the above three films are incredibly bad - but at least The Lunar Pack had me in stitches throughout because of the sheer audacity of someone actually putting out something so bad on DVD!
Old 20th February 2011, 01:54 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
The Toetag films are abysmal IMO
Oh well said D .. dire inept tripe that gives "horror movies" a bad name.

Old 21st February 2011, 05:23 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Totaly agree about toe tag films even tho a lot of ppl r on here r huge fans of A U trilogy...Gore for gore sake and controversy for same reason doesnt interest me.. like some ppl have said it needs a good story line etc etc ...films i could certainy do without are imo opinion likes of guinea pig (cant exactly remember which 1 but the one thats aimed to loook like a snuff film) just 1 Q in my mind WHY ? .and grotesque i sat and watched these and also turned them of.. im just puzzled to who exactly r these films aimed....i could say not normal ppl but 1 r 2 ppl might take a slight offence to that so Please no backlash for the last comment if u like the last 2 its just a comment not a dig....
Old 21st February 2011, 05:49 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Octopus
Crocodile 2
Creepshow 3
Texas Chainsaw Massacre 4

Like this? Share it using the links below!