Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd February 2010, 11:34 AM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Only labels I organise by are Shamelss/Arrow, Tartan
Others are sorted by director or series(F13, Halloween etc)
I also have a very top shelf of Russ Meyer and the more extreme movies(Toetag, Guinea Pig, Nekromantik etc) just to keep out of sight from the kids!
The rest of the stragglers are sorted by genre(Classic horror, slasher, vampire etc)

Wife thinks I'm f***ing mental but there is a method to my madness...somewhere there!
Old 6th February 2010, 10:57 AM
Cult Rookie

By label, with the exception of boxsets, tins and other fancy things which don't fit nicely on the shelf, and TV/standup which I keep separate from 'proper' films.

Looks much nicer imo!
Old 6th February 2010, 11:33 AM
Cult Acolyte

Location: From the bowels of Newcastle Upon Tyne he came....to collect DVDs and BRs!
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by creadishcread View Post
By label, with the exception of boxsets, tins and other fancy things which don't fit nicely on the shelf.

Looks much nicer imo!
A man after my own heart and they say great minds think alike!

Storing my DVDs this way just looks so much more 'structured' and striking imo. Rather than having an uneven hodgepodge of releases displayed in no apparent order whatsoever.
Old 6th February 2010, 01:45 PM
Ex-member

Genres and sub-genres and then sometimes genres by country (as in 'Brit Horror' and 'Euro horror') and also by topic in genre (like terrorist/siege action films, or Cop action films).

Sometimes by director sometimes by star, but these two often get separated too (as in a Charles Bronson Western will be in 'Westerns'...not alongside "Death Wish")
And of course series (as in Romero's zombie films).

Last edited by 42ndStreetFreak; 6th February 2010 at 01:59 PM.
Old 10th February 2010, 09:54 AM
Active Cultist

Just received my replacement studs in the door (postie) for my Shelves, So i can now get my DVD's back on the shelf after losing the old ones whilst boxes were in storage, due to House Mod.
Problem is i usually display A-Z, Now im gonna try something different whilst i have them all off shelf. Im gonna categorise them in Genre and see what they look like... God help me I'll add some photo's later to show results (in Show us Yours).

My Diary & Purchase Collection page: http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/memb...tml#post318577
Old 10th February 2010, 11:06 AM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I really need to get more organized.You know you have a problem when you look for a film and after a while decide that you've mysteriously lost it when you can't find anything!
Old 12th February 2010, 12:17 PM
Cult Acolyte

Location: From the bowels of Newcastle Upon Tyne he came....to collect DVDs and BRs!
Smile

I've bought and boxed up so many DVDs over the last few years that i now have trouble remembering which titles i do and don't have!

I can't wait to get my own place so i can store these digital delights on shelves!
Old 19th March 2010, 10:42 AM
Competitions Moderator
Good Trader

What do you think about this idea?

Ages ago a member on here posted pictures of spines he had made for some of his dvds and they looked really good.

Sooo, I had a go myself at designing some spines - they're really easy to do.

But if you could (forget how long it will take, how much paper and all of that) would you like to have all your dvds (with a few exceptions like Arrow and Shameless and maybe even Vipco for example) look like this, all uniformed and neat, or is that just a bit too OCD?!

I think they look pretty good especially when you compare it to dvds that have the film's title on the spine in really small or unreadable (from a distance) font. Plus it'll be much easier to organize etc.

What do you think?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg spines.jpg (96.0 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by iluvdvds@Cult Labs; 19th March 2010 at 11:29 AM.
Old 19th March 2010, 11:25 AM
Cultist

I would comment on your image there iluvdvds but photobucket is blocked at work so I can't see it. I'll have to have a butch later on.

I arrange my DVDs by horror, comedy, tv shows, stand-up and then the rest, all categories in alphabetical order. However, I don't have a great deal of space for storage so they end up in growing piles around my room. My blurays are all just in alphabetical order but soon I may have to think about putting them in genres as I've just passed the 100 mark. I realise this probably isn't much of a milestone for many on here but I'm still going to celebrate.
Old 19th March 2010, 11:31 AM
Competitions Moderator
Good Trader

Ah right - whoops! I've put it as an attachment to now

So you're going down the genre then alphabetical route eh? Nice! Seems to be the most popular. That and just randomly putting them on the shelves

Like this? Share it using the links below!