Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th March 2010, 11:36 AM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phats View Post
I would comment on your image there iluvdvds but photobucket is blocked at work so I can't see it. I'll have to have a butch later on.

I arrange my DVDs by horror, comedy, tv shows, stand-up and then the rest, all categories in alphabetical order. However, I don't have a great deal of space for storage so they end up in growing piles around my room. My blurays are all just in alphabetical order but soon I may have to think about putting them in genres as I've just passed the 100 mark. I realise this probably isn't much of a milestone for many on here but I'm still going to celebrate.
You've got at least 98 more Blu-Rays than me Phats.

I'm seriously considering re-organising mine in the near future and genre seems like my preferred method at the mo. Either that or by label anyway...
Old 19th March 2010, 11:37 AM
Cultist

@iluvdvds: Yeah, just putting them on the shelves randomly is what I tend to do, then I sort them out maybe once a month. At the moment I have 2 series of Only Fools and Horses in the horror section and Wrong Turn in the comedy section.

By the way, have you colour coded the DVD spines or is it just a random colour thing at the bottom of the spine?
Old 19th March 2010, 11:42 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvdvds View Post
What do you think about this idea?

Ages ago a member on here posted pictures of spines he had made for some of his dvds and they looked really good.

Sooo, I had a go myself at designing some spines - they're really easy to do.

But if you could (forget how long it will take, how much paper and all of that) would you like to have all your dvds (with a few exceptions like Arrow and Shameless and maybe even Vipco for example) look like this, all uniformed and neat, or is that just a bit too OCD?!

I think they look pretty good especially when you compare it to dvds that have the film's title on the spine in really small or unreadable (from a distance) font. Plus it'll be much easier to organize etc.

What do you think?

Very nice iluv.

Personally I wouldn't want to do this, mainly because I couldn't be bothered to make spines for 1400 titles... But also for the fact that I like to see the uniqueness of my collection as they face spine-ways Plus, knowing what some titles' spines look like helps me to identify the film/edition easier when I'm quickly grabbing a film from the shelf.

That said, I still think it's a good idea, and your mock-ups look very impressive iluv; as it at least gives you a bit of creativity and control over your collection. You could also add a small pic of the cover on the spine, or the logo of the distributor to make it even more recognisable. Great for bland spines, but just not practical in my case!
Old 19th March 2010, 11:49 AM
Competitions Moderator
Good Trader

It would take aggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg gggggggggggggggggeeees to do! But there's a big part of me that is curious to see what my collection would look like if I did do this.

Think how much ink it would take up with printing!
Old 19th March 2010, 11:56 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
It would take aggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg gggggggggggggggggeeees to do! But there's a big part of me that is curious to see what my collection would look like if I did do this.

Think how much ink it would take up with printing!
It would take an age mate!

I suppose you could do it for a few like titles and see what it looks like.

If you were going to do it, may be you could print them all off at uni...
Old 19th March 2010, 12:09 PM
Competitions Moderator
Good Trader

Nah, uni is stingy! You actually have to pay to use their printers!

Imagine doing this for the WHOLE collection, stepping back to admire it, and thinking it looks crap!
Culture Vulture likes this.
Old 23rd March 2010, 08:42 PM
Cult Rookie

I usually organize mine by genre and then by company.
Old 23rd March 2010, 09:15 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Nah, uni is stingy! You actually have to pay to use their printers!

Imagine doing this for the WHOLE collection, stepping back to admire it, and thinking it looks crap!
Bugger that mate.....

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 25th March 2010, 06:41 AM
Seasoned Cultist

I organize my collection alphabetically.
Done that since the early VHS collecting days.
And I also have my BD´s mixed into that DVD collection.
Earlier I had the BD´s by them selves on a shelf, but I though "what the hell" let my DVD´s and BD´s live together as friends and not enemys

I know "HD ONLY!!" geeks on forums like AVS etc. would burn me at a stake for putting the BD´s among the "primitive" and "how can you still watch that blurry mess?!?" DVD format.
Those same people should just move out of their parents basements already and get laid instead of counting the pixels and bitrate all night long
Old 4th September 2010, 01:11 PM
Seasoned Cultist

At the moment my movies are organised by date bought. This For me is so that I can look at a film and remember what time of my life I bought it.(a kind of window to the past) Sad I know, but lately I feel that I may need to change it. As I now have The Stranger next to City of the living dead which will separate Inferno from the rest of my arrow collection. I need to change this but I am too afraid

Like this? Share it using the links below!