Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree95Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th August 2010, 01:01 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Can't say anything's actually offended me. Although I found the film Suicide somewhat offensive (and I was surprised the BBFC passed it uncut). What I found offensive was the glib way it used suicide as a sensational topic to basically make an exploitation film. It starts out quite interesting, with the suicides being filmed for profit for an internet site, but it soon descends into a poor excuse to show extreme scenes of people committing suicide. Even when the internet site owners start questioning what they're doing, it's too little too late to have any real impact on the plot, and seems to have been thrown in there as a a form of feeble justification. Suicide is a real concern for some people and this film does nothing to address such issues in an intelligent fashion. So, whilst it didn't offend me, personally, it is an offensive film IMO.
Nordicdusk likes this.
Old 4th August 2010, 12:25 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

[QUOTE=alex s;95534]This was just " A KIND OF DEFENCE" they used, there was never any actual evidence put forward for this theory, like the fact they were going to make 40 films ( a very random figure).

while i agree it is very horrorific viewing and disturbing to watch ( but not as bad as Dagestan or Chechclear) then if this qualifies as snuff then so does the Happy slapping murder in London[/QUOTE

I wouldn't class them as snuff either Alex, as there was no distributor or an 'established maket', 2 points the FBI make clear in their definition of a snuff film. They say the murders have to be filmed ,(against the victims will) for profit by distrabution to an established market.

Last edited by vipco; 4th August 2010 at 02:52 PM.
Old 4th August 2010, 12:40 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Withdrew my post but cant delete . Sorry.

Last edited by vipco; 4th August 2010 at 02:57 PM.
Old 4th August 2010, 12:46 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
Can't say anything's actually offended me. Although I found the film Suicide somewhat offensive (and I was surprised the BBFC passed it uncut). What I found offensive was the glib way it used suicide as a sensational topic to basically make an exploitation film. It starts out quite interesting, with the suicides being filmed for profit for an internet site, but it soon descends into a poor excuse to show extreme scenes of people committing suicide. Even when the internet site owners start questioning what they're doing, it's too little too late to have any real impact on the plot, and seems to have been thrown in there as a a form of feeble justification. Suicide is a real concern for some people and this film does nothing to address such issues in an intelligent fashion. So, whilst it didn't offend me, personally, it is an offensive film IMO.
Fully agree with you Daemonia. suicide is a very serious subject , that seems to be growing in this country at an alarming rate , especially amongst teens, and the way this film plays , it just exploits it with no form of justifcation at all.
It didn't offend me either but I do agree that it is an offensive film.

Last edited by vipco; 4th August 2010 at 02:55 PM.
Old 16th September 2010, 10:17 AM
Active Cultist

Which do you think is the most shocking shockumentary because i have seen traces 1,4 and 5. But was not that shocked. Possibly faces of gore?
Old 16th September 2010, 03:46 PM
Active Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanmetal View Post
Which do you think is the most shocking shockumentary because i have seen traces 1,4 and 5. But was not that shocked. Possibly faces of gore?
depends on whether you want mondo films or Death films, wouldn't bother with anything past traces of death 3 in that series, Faces of Gore is quite strong but nothing really comes close to the japanese list of Death file(s) and Death Press series also Death Woman and Death Body, also the Facez of Death 2000 series are quite strong as well.

with mondo then it's probably

Savage man Savage Beast
Faces of Pain
Savage World
Africa Ama

but it's all down to personal taste really,
Old 16th September 2010, 05:58 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

There'd be probably more films to offend or disgust me if I saw them, but the ones coming directly to mind are:

1) "Feast II: Sloppy Seconds"
This is so "NOT FUNNY"!
Playing the death of a baby at length and slo-mo for supposed laughs, shortly followed by the- ha,ha,ha- mistreatment and bloody demise of an old woman and a couple of- ha,ha,ha,ha- dwarves...

2) "Philosophy of a Knife"

A 4hr marathon in b/w (THANK GOD FOR THAT!) filled with the longest and most disgusting scenes of "experiments on humans" I've ever seen.
Every now and then you almost start thinking it's art- but I don't think the historical background is a "justification" for all those attrocities getting "recreated" in all-too-loving detail.
One I wish from time to time I could "un-see", but can't...
Old 16th September 2010, 07:44 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye View Post
Nothing has really disturbed or offended me at all in the world of cinema. Probably because I'm not that easily offended nor disturbed, but also because I pretty much know what I'm expecting to see/hear when I watch a film. When you start to watch a gory or sick film, I'm pretty much physically and mentally prepared to see almost anything. Detachment from the realism, tends to find me more curious about how the shocking scenes were shot, and how the effects were created rather than the events themselves.

As for A Serbian Film, the over-hype, rather than the 'shocking' content left me with a sour taste in my mouth. What I thought about it, you may of already read, but is posted here.

As for sickness value, I pretty much agree with mbv on Mordum being one of the sickest films that I've seen.
Hi, Just wondering what THE SERBIAN FILM is about? I've never heard of this one before.
I've never been a supporter of film censorship in the UK, as I believe that a film should be seen as it was fully intended by the filmmakers.
If a particular film will undoubtably offend a lot of people, then this should be stated clearly on the sleeve, or cinema poster in question.
Then as adults, we can make a clear decision on whether or not to see a particular film if it may be offensive. then if you proceed to view the said film regardless of the warning, and you take offence, then you have only yourself to blame. This settles the problem. If a particular movie is likely to offend me, then I simply wouldn't watch it.
Movies should only be cut or trimmed within GOOD reason, otherwise I believe that movies shouldn't be screwed around with. We pay good money to see the directors vision, and the directors vision is what we should be get.
If a movie has been cut, people WILL find a way to get/ see the cut footage somehow. This is a losing battle for our film censors. Should a piece of entertainment like film, be controlled? what is the future of film, when concerning these issues?
Old 16th September 2010, 08:27 PM
Active Cultist

Well faces of pain does sound good, but mainly i am interested in death films. How do i get hold of the Japanese ones that you mentioned. Even a google search didn't get them up.
Old 16th September 2010, 08:54 PM
Ex-member

I Spit On Your Grave (original)

I've heard all that arguments for (and against) but for me the unnecessary prolonged rape sequences are nothing more than titillation...the brief pay off (when it eventually arrives) does very little in the way of balance...I just find it very uncomfortable in the extreme

Like this? Share it using the links below!