All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th December 2008, 07:11 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel View Post
Well it's bizarre because several examiners would have viewed this film in 2004and yet somehow, none of them seemed able to spot the numerous instances of cruelty. There must be a good reason although I can't think what it is, but it doesn't sound like the scenes were acceptable under the animals act.

Perhaps it was pre cut? Probably not though. It doesn't look as though the Hollywood DVD was ever released anyway.

When you re-watch the film, Mark, perhaps you might have an idea why the scenes got through?
Well I've ordered the 2-disc,but I thought at one point Stanley picks up a snake & smashes it against a wall or similar but I'll know better when I have the dvd.Several are certainly shot though I think these are 'quick kills'.As for the Hollywood dvd I don't think going on the RT it was cut but it was definitely released as people on the Cult Movie Forums have bought it for about a £1.00 from some Woolworths stores in the past & I have seen the disc on Ebay.Even allowing for the fact the dvd seems to be an NTSC conversion it still noticably longer than the submitted 'X' rated theatrical version which was cut.It's not a particularly violent film so I can only assume the biting off of the snakes head was one probable cut .One to enquire at the BBFC about.

EDIT:The film is 108 minutes according to the IMDB but I'll check the disc RT .If that's correct the Hollywood dvd version running 103 minutes is a PAL version.This means the theatrical release which was just under 96 minutes (submitted) was an abridged version if the BBFC info is correct.

Last edited by mark meakin; 20th December 2008 at 07:22 PM.
Old 21st December 2008, 08:27 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Yeah shootings are generally ok. I think in Telefon a snake gets shot. Scene passed. Also I think the BBFC are looking for clear evidence of life before cuts are considered because it might be a real animal but if it appears to be dead prior to the cruelty then that wouldn't count.

There was a scene in Eastern Condors where somebody bites the head off a snake which was cut here.
I don't know how the scene in Stanley was shot, whether it was for example shot with close ups.
Old 21st December 2008, 05:12 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

[QUOTE=Angel;19427]Yeah shootings are generally ok. I think in Telefon a snake gets shot.[QUOTE]
Yes a snake is killed quickly in Telefon though I think the sequence was shown in slow motion.A Gunfight (1971) was cut for similar footage as the death was obviously not as quick.
Old 21st December 2008, 09:01 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

The shooting of the snake in Westworld was also left intact. As was the killing of the kangaroo in Walkabout, which was certainly not a quick kill (and a pretty nasty scene to watch).
Old 21st December 2008, 11:43 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

The killing in The Other Hell was kept in on the old Redemption VHS in the 90's.
I think it was a chicken, but it was a swift death imo .
Old 22nd December 2008, 12:14 AM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Yes the only cuts to The Other Hell were the opening genital mutilation and the stabbing of the priest.

Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory featured a (dead) chicken being beheaded during the psychedelic boat ride scene. I always thought this film did very well to get a 'U' certificate.
Old 22nd December 2008, 06:11 PM
Active Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenzo View Post
psychedelic boat ride
3 words you should see together more often :P
Old 13th February 2009, 01:07 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Default ??

HI im new to the net and new to this site, like most ppl i like good films i seen a lot of films but must admit over past ten yrs lost touch with my knowledge of films
I was pretty clued up yrs ago but sadly not now. but with being on the net i can now have the knowledge to learn what ive been missing out on rare delted banned etc etc.
Thats why i enjoy reading on forums on sites like this to catch up on things and films i missed r nvr heard of. But 1 thing that puzzle me is there the odd certain film out there that i just cant understand who would enjoy r want it in there film collection eg guiea pig.and snuff 102 r what ever it called i heard ppl go on about it sound a very nasty film,

i heard ppl go on about irreversible i had a uncut of it but the idea with the camera work moving round all over the place etc etc. After 20min i actual got a headache so i gave up on the film, What exactly was that all about it was like he stuck his camera on a piece of string and wanderd around holding it while pissed (not exactly sure what i did with the film but i dont have it now)

IMO Id rather have a copy of a film i cant find or dont own than not have it all

MUCH APPRECIATED
GAG

Last edited by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs; 15th February 2009 at 11:10 PM.
Old 13th February 2009, 06:54 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

They used a hand held camera in Irreversible with very lengthy takes without edits, that's why the camera was all over the place. Personally I thought it worked well. For the notorious rape scene however, there was very little camera movement. It's incredible how they filmed it in one long take.

Last edited by Angel; 13th February 2009 at 07:31 PM.
Old 13th February 2009, 10:54 AM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

I saw Irreversible a while back and found it pretty dull. The two shock scenes are extremely powerful but the rest of the film tended to be talky and muddled. At least Baise Moi moved.

Like this? Share it using the links below!