Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat

Like Tree78Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #71  
Old 6th November 2012, 12:05 AM
Daemonia's Avatar
Cult Addict
Good Trader
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Well, VHS was good in its day - but, trust me, I was one who really did wish for things like a better picture, better sound, correct OAR and so forth. Especially when LD arrived and you just knew there was a better alternative out there, but financially unviable for me at the time.

So when DVD hit, I grabbed it with both hands and ran with it, for about 10 years, then kinda burned out on the whole thing. So when I dipped into HD waters, it reignited my interest in collecting again (although I've always watched films, no matter what, just lost the collecting bug for a while).

For me, I think every film deserves the best presentation possible - and at the moment that's Blu-ray. But, as I've said elsewhere, I also see HD restorations as film preservation. I mean, come on, with TVs getting bigger and with higher resolutions, will an SD master of a film even be wanted for much longer, much less used? I think all films deserve the HD upgrade. That's my opinion, anyway.

But I also recognise that some old and obscure titles may not have elements usable for an HD upgrade, but, to be honest, I think those cases are few and far between. In many cases when labels have said 'These are the best materials that exist' a little while later someone comes along and says 'Hang on, I've got a negative here in pristine condition'. Labels do lie, believe it or not - they've done what their budget will allow and want the punter to cough up for it, but they're not going to say that. Like Paramount lying and saying the cut footage from My Bloody Valentine doesn't exist anymore - funny how Lionsgate found it, eh? And have a read at all the stuff Don May Jr of Synapse has managed to unearth - like a decent print/negative of Intruder. And hasn't he also found a film print/negative of Last House on Dead End Street that Barrel claimed didn't exist?

NB: None of the above am I applying to Arrow or Shameless, by the way.
__________________
Sent from my Hoover using the power of Uri Gellar

Last edited by Daemonia; 6th November 2012 at 11:27 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 6th November 2012, 06:13 PM
Cultist
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Default

Speaking of Don May, don't forget the Halloween/dancing Nick Castle outtakes that are still waiting to get released.
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 7th November 2012, 12:48 AM
Daemonia's Avatar
Cult Addict
Good Trader
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert W View Post
Speaking of Don May, don't forget the Halloween/dancing Nick Castle outtakes that are still waiting to get released.
Yes, I've often wondered if we'll ever get to see this footage.
__________________
Sent from my Hoover using the power of Uri Gellar
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 7th November 2012, 08:29 AM
bdc's Avatar
bdc bdc is offline
Cult Addict
Good Trader
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Belgium
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
But I also recognise that some old and obscure titles may not have elements usable for an HD upgrade, but, to be honest, I think those cases are few and far between. In many cases when labels have said 'These are the best materials that exist' a little while later someone comes along and says 'Hang on, I've got a negative here in pristine condition'. Labels do lie, believe it or not - they've done what their budget will allow and want the punter to cough up for it, but they're not going to say that. Like Paramount lying and saying the cut footage from My Bloody Valentine doesn't exist anymore - funny how Lionsgate found it, eh? And have a read at all the stuff Don May Jr of Synapse has managed to unearth - like a decent print/negative of Intruder. And hasn't he also found a film print/negative of Last House on Dead End Street that Barrel claimed didn't exist?

NB: None of the above am I applying to Arrow or Shameless, by the way.
There's a never ending search going on for materials of obscure and supposedly lost films.
The fan community also plays a big role in this.
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 7th November 2012, 08:57 AM
Cultist
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
Yes, I've often wondered if we'll ever get to see this footage.
Reply With Quote
Reply  

Like this? Share it using the links below!

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



Our goal is to keep Cult Labs friendly. If you feel discouraged from posting by certain members' behaviour then you can e-mail us in complete confidence.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
All forum posts are contributed by members of the site; Cult Labs cannot take responsibility for all content posted on the site. If you have an issue with content posted on the site please click the 'report post' button.
Copyright © 2014 Cult Laboratories Ltd. All rights reserved.