Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > Horror Stars & Directors
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Poll: WHO'S THE DADDY?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
WHO'S THE DADDY?

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd November 2009, 12:32 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Lee's Fu Mnachu films are a lot fun.

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter
Old 3rd November 2009, 04:33 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Still in the wrapper that FU-Double bill....

What do you all reckon was Cushing and Lee's ultimate roles?

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 3rd November 2009, 07:49 PM
Active Cultist

Both are amazing. End of. Lee is the definitive Dracula, while Cushing is the definitive Baron Frankenstein and Professor Van Helsing. The other films they did together outside of Hammer are a lot of fun too, such as the Amicus anthologies, The Creeping Flesh, I Monster and Horror Express.

Speaking of Fu Manchu, I ordered The Face of Fu Manchu and The Vengeance of Fu Manchu from Townsend Records and they still haven't arrived ! I got The Brides of Fu Manchu no problem from Buy It Here. The DVDs were quite cheap considering they are going for like £50 on Amazon Marketplace.
Old 3rd November 2009, 10:13 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Cusning's best roles for me were in the original Hammer Dracula, Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed (easily his nastiest Baron), Tales From The Crypt, and the non-horrors Cone Of Silence and Cash On Demand.

Lee's would also be the first Dracula plus The Wicker Man, A Feast At Midnight, The Devil Rides Out and Lord Of The Rings.
Old 3rd November 2009, 10:16 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I have always wanted to see Jess Franco's version of Dracula with Christopher Lee.

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter
Old 3rd November 2009, 10:26 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

It's very low key to the point of being quite dull to be honest, and certainly not a typical Franco film. 12-rated now.
Old 3rd November 2009, 11:12 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Cushing was once again a perfect choice for the role of Tarkin in Star Wars.
I think Lucas is a secret Frankenstein fan and transfered the scenario to space,Tarkin being the Baron and Vader his rampaging monster.
As for Cushing's best films,then it would be hard to disagree with Vince on the movies listed above.
I wish someone would dig up these old Hammer films,especially CASH ON DEMAND.

Lee's best role;-Obviously Lord Summerisle in the Wicker Man,closeley followed by Dracula.
His role as the Duc de Richleau in THE DEVIL RIDES OUT,playing against typecast is not to be underestimated as well.
Just don't mention Count Dooku!
Also,he was the only sinister thing happening in Hammer's THE DEVIL RIDES OUT,which I'm sure he didn't want to go out with a rock to the head...

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 3rd November 2009, 11:39 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper72 View Post
Also,he was the only sinister thing happening in Hammer's THE DEVIL RIDES OUT,which I'm sure he didn't want to go out with a rock to the head...
Actually To The Devil A Daughter though that film was enough to confuse everyone.
Old 3rd November 2009, 11:47 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Shit.Time for la la land I think.
Glad you knew what I meant though Vince....

Old 4th November 2009, 12:26 AM
Ex-member

"Cash on Demand" is finally on its way!
http://www.dvddrive-in.com/

Quote:
According to their new Columbia Classics Blog, we can expect another fantastic Hammer Films set in 2010: “Next year, look for another Icons release when we gear up for the Icons of Suspense, the third in our effort to bring forward the great Hammer films in the Columbia library. The titles in this next set will include such masterpieces as STOP ME BEFORE I KILL, CASH ON DEMAND, NEVER TAKE CANDY FROM A STRANGER, MANIAC, THE SNORKEL, and the great Joseph Losey-directed THESE ARE THE DAMNED.
I have "Maniac" (not bad) and "The Damned" (damned boring more like!) but "Cash" and "Never take candy..." (another much anticipated and long awaited release) are very welcome!

Like this? Share it using the links below!