Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > Horror Stars & Directors

Poll: What do you think of director M. Night Shyamalan?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
What do you think of director M. Night Shyamalan?

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st May 2015, 07:31 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Never been a fan, I'm afraid.

THE SIXTH SENSE was good, though derivative. It's not aged too well but most films where there's an emphasis on a twist and little else do not tend to.

UNBREAKABLE really bothered me - I thought it tried too hard to be lo-fi and came across as being pretentious and boring.

SIGNS - I really liked this - my favourite of his films. Again, a lot going on that we'd seen before but it was well constructed and anchored by decent turns from Joaquin Phoenix and everyone's favourite racist.

THE VILLAGE - I absolutely hated this - by now he was "the twist guy" - had anyone else made the film I'd have not sat in the screening room picking it apart thinking of the most unlikely scenario to play out as a shock revelation - I guessed the outcome 25-30 minutes in and it ruined the rest of the film for me. It's a shame because the production values are great and there are some brilliant scenes (not least the one where the blind Bryce Dallas Howard has to manoeuvre through the creepy woods by herself.

I didn't like THE HAPPENING but didn't hate it either. Not seen any of his subsequent films or the one about the mermaid because they all looked a bit pony to me.
Old 11th May 2015, 06:59 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Despite my earlier comments, the recent ads for his TV show 'Wayward Pines' starring Matt Dillon have interested me.

Like this? Share it using the links below!