Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > Horror Stars & Directors

Poll: What do you think of director M. Night Shyamalan?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
What do you think of director M. Night Shyamalan?

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th April 2015, 04:29 PM
Competitions Moderator
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Default M. Night Shyamalan: Your Thoughts

Love him or hate him?

There does seem to be a lot of negativity when it comes to Mr Shyamalan, with many people believing he's a one trick pony of horror. He's become almost a joke online with Hollywood not including his name on the poster of his recent After Earth with Will Smith (which admitedly didn't get many good reviews).

But what are your thoughts on the work of Shyamalan? Do you think he's an under-rated director who doesn't deserve the bad reputation?

Personally, I think he's created some great movies. The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable are two excellent thrillers and Signs scared the hell out of me as a kid! Like, seriously terrified!

What do you guys think of his newly released trailer for his next movie?

What are your thoughts of this director? Let us know below...
Old 28th April 2015, 05:28 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Sixth Sense whilst a terrific film on first time viewing (i saw it at the cinema) , i think is just that, a one watch film.

I bought the region 1 dvd as soon as it came out way back in 1999...and it's still sealed...never been opened.

Signs had me roaring with laughter, the car crash scene was pure car crash viewing in more ways than one, so bad you couldn't take your eyes off it.

After seeing The Village and The Happening i won't be subjecting myself to any more of M Night's drivel.

I can't vote in this poll as he's not a great director neither is he a hack, he's just very poor.
Old 28th April 2015, 05:34 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

I'm... indifferent!

There are a few of his films that I still need to check out, but he kind of turned himself into to butt of his own joke by being coined as the master of the twist ending... to the extent where you are watching his films in a purely analytical sense to try and guess the inevitable twist which you know is coming, and which will subsequently void said film from any worthwhile future viewings. Add to that some clunky scripts and poor production values *cough* The Happening and his films (The Sixth Sense possibly excluded - although I'm personally not keen on it) tend to lie in that middle tier under the radar zone where the audience tends to discover them via channel hopping.

That said I did quite enjoy The Village, although it didn't hold up nearly as well on a re-watch; see above...
Old 28th April 2015, 05:43 PM
Competitions Moderator
Good Trader

If you HAD to pick one, which would it be though BE? Hack or master? I went with master mainly because The Signs scared the crap out of me and The Sixth Sense is a classic. It makes up for... The Happening...
Old 28th April 2015, 05:44 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I too saw the Sixth Sense at the cinema and have only seen it again once. It certainly lost its impact the second time round.
Same goes for Unbreakable, which I really liked. Signs was ok, nothing more, haven't seen the Village and, apart from the lovely Zooey Deschanel, the Happening was terrible!
iluvdvds@Cult Labs likes this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 28th April 2015, 05:46 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvdvds@Cult Labs View Post
If you HAD to pick one, which would it be though BE? Hack or master? I went with master mainly because The Signs scared the crap out of me and The Sixth Sense is a classic. It makes up for... The Happening...
If I had to choose, I'd probably have to go with hack I'm afraid!

I have very high standards.
Old 28th April 2015, 05:48 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
If I had to choose, I'd probably have to go with hack I'm afraid!

I have very high standards.
To me he's not even a hack. Hacks usually produce watchable films, unlike The Happening.
Old 28th April 2015, 06:28 PM
Seasoned Cultist

I always thought a hack was someone who takes on projects for money, M. Night on a writing level, is just a one trick pony, but I don't think he's a hack and he's a more than competent director. He just doesn't make films that appeal to me.
trebor8273 likes this.
Old 28th April 2015, 06:54 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I would have to say hack and I would say that's being to kind. Sixth sense was ok but once you seen no point in watching it again, unbrakable was good the happening and the signs were awful and not seen any of his other movies and have no intention to see them
Old 28th April 2015, 07:25 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Went with Master simply because I liked Sixth Sense, Unbreakble and Signs. However I get the feeling he's a three trick pony. The Village, Lady in the Water, The Happening and The Last Airbender all sucked....Now that I think about it can I change my vote!

Like this? Share it using the links below!