Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > Horror Stars & Directors
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Poll: what is your favourite QT film? written or directed?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
what is your favourite QT film? written or directed?

Like Tree227Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th July 2020, 09:45 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

I'm not sure where it ranks for me.

Reservoir Dogs is my absolute favourite.

It's been so long since i saw Pulp Fiction that i think i rank it lower than it probably should be. I know i bloody loved it when i saw it at the cinema.

I've never bothered re-watching the far too talky Inglorious Basterds (I prefer the original any day) and fell asleep during Django Unchained and missed the last half hour and have never felt the urge to revisit it. The Hateful 8 was excellent as was Jackie Brown. Once Upon a Time certainly ranks with them after a single viewing.

Both Death Proof and Kill Bill vol I were decent but i haven't any love whatsoever for Kill Bill vol II

It's a shame Quentin only wrote True Romance because that would be a shoe in as my second fave behind Reservoir Dogs.
Old 15th July 2020, 10:08 PM
Cult Acolyte

Far too early to say for me. Pulp Fiction is my favourite and always will be. Too many of his I really enjoy at the cinema and then pall for me when I try to watch them again - hello Inglorious Basterds - so only time will tell whether Once Upon stands up for me on rewatching.
Old 15th July 2020, 10:09 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I'm not sure where it ranks for me.

Reservoir Dogs is my absolute favourite.

It's been so long since i saw Pulp Fiction that i think i rank it lower than it probably should be. I know i bloody loved it when i saw it at the cinema.

I've never bothered re-watching the far too talky Inglorious Basterds (I prefer the original any day) and fell asleep during Django Unchained and missed the last half hour and have never felt the urge to revisit it. The Hateful 8 was excellent as was Jackie Brown. Once Upon a Time certainly ranks with them after a single viewing.

Both Death Proof and Kill Bill vol I were decent but i haven't any love whatsoever for Kill Bill vol II

It's a shame Quentin only wrote True Romance because that would be a shoe in as my second fave behind Reservoir Dogs.

True Romance is my favourite film based on his writing - and that includes the stuff he’s directed.
Old 15th July 2020, 10:16 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul@TheOverlook View Post
True Romance is my favourite film based on his writing - and that includes the stuff he’s directed.
Along with Dogs it's the one i've seen the most times. Loved them both from my first cinema viewing onwards.
Old 16th July 2020, 07:27 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Along with Dogs it's the one i've seen the most times. Loved them both from my first cinema viewing onwards.
Me too, though my current TV is as big as the screen I saw True Romance on - the-then Wimbledon Odeon (it's since moved into a multiplex) had it play on their smallest screen (what had been the cinema's bar!), first week of release, which proves the studio (Warner Bros, at the time) had no faith in its success.

I blame the film's failure on the marketing - I mean, they had their work cut out positioning a hyper-violent crime thriller with THAT title but it should have found a much bigger audience in cinemas.
Old 16th July 2020, 08:34 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I find it difficult to pick my favourite Quentin Tarantino film as it is between Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown, which I think is Tarantino's most accomplished film. I'd probably put Reservoir Dogs third and it would take some time to put the others into a definitive order.

I know Death Proof would be at the bottom because it's my least favourite and easily his weakest film, but I've no idea whether I would put Django Unchained above The Hateful Eight or the other way round; I think both would be below Once Upon a Time… In Hollywood.

Kill Bill is a difficult one to rank because Volume 1 is excellent and highly enjoyable but I don't feel the same about Volume 2, so it would depend on whether we were able to rank them separately or take them as a single production.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 16th July 2020, 09:03 AM
Cult Veteran

It's interesting that a lot of people don't rate Kill Bill vol 2, I recently rewatched them both and part 2 was clearly the better film, for me at least.

I've not seen Hateful or Hollywood yet but I feel quite confident in saying that Django is my least favourite, starts off well but gets tedious for the last hour.

I voted Jackie Brown in that poll and I stand by that, however it being an adaptation makes it less of an 'authentic' Tarantino, but the direction and plotting are second to none.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 16th July 2020, 09:12 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
It's interesting that a lot of people don't rate Kill Bill vol 2, I recently rewatched them both and part 2 was clearly the better film, for me at least.

I've not seen Hateful or Hollywood yet but I feel quite confident in saying that Django is my least favourite, starts off well but gets tedious for the last hour.

I voted Jackie Brown in that poll and I stand by that, however it being an adaptation makes it less of an 'authentic' Tarantino, but the direction and plotting are second to none.
It's been a long time since I've seen the Kill Bill films/film. The second volume might be one about which I'll change my mind. I really didn't like inglourious Basterds at the cinema but watched it a couple of years ago at home and really enjoyed it.

It's a film where the first chapter is easily the best; it's tightly written, superbly directed, and beautifully acted, but I was surprised at how much I liked the rest of the film at home when it annoyed me at the cinema.
Justin101 likes this.
Old 16th July 2020, 09:56 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Funny that Death Proof keeps coming up.....

I’ve never been able to sit through it,but last night I began watching it (too late I may add) but I got to the halfway mark before fatigue got the better of me,and it’s nowhere as bad as you remember.Yeah it’s talky,but the chicks are likeable characters and Kurt Russell makes a decent psycho.

Rose McGowan’s demise and the slaughter of the main characters halfway through are a tip of the hat to Hitchcock’s killing of Marion Crane.

True WTF? Moments......

The combination of that happy,trippy D,DBM&T tune makes this scene all the more shocking.We KNOW that something bad is coming,that a crash is inevitable,but in the back of our minds,we’re thinking,maybe he’s gonna run them of the road and have his way with them.
The initial head on smash is bad enough,but NOTHING can prepare us for the repeated aftermath and carnage that is shown in great detail......

This is one of QT’s most incredible scenes in his output so far.

I’ll watch the other half tonight,but I reckon Death Proof is worth another viewing.....

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.

Last edited by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs; 16th July 2020 at 10:11 AM.
Old 16th July 2020, 09:59 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

The lovely Rose’s demise is only slightly less shocking.....

bleakshaun likes this.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.

Like this? Share it using the links below!