Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > Horror Stars & Directors
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Poll: what is your favourite QT film? written or directed?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
what is your favourite QT film? written or directed?

Like Tree227Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st April 2020, 09:48 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I would have loved to see the two-part Grindhouse film at the cinema so it was a shame that it didn't screen anyone near me at a time which was halfway convenient. Even though I don't consider Death Proof to be a particularly good film, I wish I'd seen it at the cinema.
Old 21st April 2020, 09:59 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

For me the problem with Death Proof as a 'Grindhouse' film is that for what actually happens plot wise, at over two hours it's far too long.

Planet Terror at 106 minutes is about the max length you can go to for a film on a double bill. At least PT is eventful, all i recall from the two times i saw Death Proof was a lot of talk in a bar / diner and a well staged car chase with Zoe Bell clinging to the bonnet.
Old 21st April 2020, 10:08 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
For me the problem with Death Proof as a 'Grindhouse' film is that for what actually happens plot wise, at over two hours it's far too long.

Planet Terror at 106 minutes is about the max length you can go to for a film on a double bill. At least PT is eventful, all i recall from the two times i saw Death Proof was a lot of talk in a bar / diner and a well staged car chase with Zoe Bell clinging to the bonnet.
My thoughts exactly. I can't remember anything about Death Proof apart from what you've written, and the only character name I can think of without googling is Stuntman Mike. I do remember there being a lot of feet in the film!
Old 21st April 2020, 08:17 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post

Yeah had DP come in at the 90-95 minute mark,it'd be a much better film.

Planet Terror is superb.Rodriguez at his outrageous best!

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 21st April 2020, 09:17 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I do remember there being a lot of feet in the film!
Old 22nd April 2020, 07:45 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Started watching OUATIH again last night.Time for a second chance/re-evaluation.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 22nd April 2020, 07:46 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

BTW-When is Arrow's Inglorious Basterds Blu Ray due?

Old 15th July 2020, 08:40 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs View Post
I repurchased ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD.
Now that I’ve calmed down a bit over the ending I’m going to give it another viewing.
Funny how repeat viewings change your initial thoughts on a film.
I've watched this four or five times now and each time I pick up on something new.

Whoever said it's Tarantino's fairytale of what actually happened that night,was spot on,and let's face it,it was an outrageous QT ending!

I reckon (now) in QT's output this comes third to only Pulp Fiction and Kill Bill.

As I said elsewhere,Brad Pitt was the spot on choice for the best supporting actor statue.

I also read a theory that Cliff Booth and Rick Dalton are one and the same ala Tyler Durden in Fight Club.....

Your thoughts on that?

Old 15th July 2020, 09:11 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I’ve seen it twice now and it definitely gets better every time, only Tarantino film I still don’t rate that high is Death Proof, I like it but it’s his worst film IMO
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 15th July 2020, 09:20 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs View Post
Funny how repeat viewings change your initial thoughts on a film.
I've watched this four or five times now and each time I pick up on something new.

Whoever said it's Tarantino's fairytale of what actually happened that night,was spot on,and let's face it,it was an outrageous QT ending!

I reckon (now) in QT's output this comes third to only Pulp Fiction and Kill Bill.

As I said elsewhere,Brad Pitt was the spot on choice for the best supporting actor statue.

I also read a theory that Cliff Booth and Rick Dalton are one and the same ala Tyler Durden in Fight Club.....

Your thoughts on that?

I think we had a conversation about this before and I agree with you. My criticisms of the film still stand - it’s definitely too long and I don’t like the ending but the second viewing was so much better - it went from a *** film to **** for me - funny thing is the first viewing was in the cinema, uninterrupted. The time I saw it was on a plane in chunks between entertaining my kids and eating meals! It lasted for about six hours, on and off!

Pitt is SO good and so is Leo - the scene where the latter delivers that monologue to the young girl is incredible. Pitt trumps him though and he SO deserved that Oscar.

I’d not picked up on your theory but it’s an interesting one - there’s obviously strong similarities but also contrasts between them and that what makes the film quite interesting.

Like this? Share it using the links below!