Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Official Shameless Fan Forum > The Shameless Collection > House on the Edge of the Park
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree125Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th June 2011, 03:50 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah@Cult Labs View Post
Hi BAKA! Sorry, I didn't see this. Must have slipped past when my internet was out. As far as I'm aware this is DVD only as a HD master is just not available to Shameless (if there is one at all). It's so expensive to produce a HD master I think it's a case of Shameless not being able to afford the gamble since they're such a small outfit.

But I'm positive it'll be a lush-looking DVD!
After quite a few releases that were a) horribly mutilated or b) with poor AV quality (or, most often, both), I'll be happy getting a decent looking uncut (hopefully!) House on the Edge of the Park. This film needs no HD, if you ask me - it's horrifying enough in SD.

Greetings!
Old 7th June 2011, 06:25 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda View Post
After quite a few releases that were... b) with poor AV quality
Really? Who released those? Even the cut Vipco release had a solid AV quality, despite the alterations, and if there's a company out there putting out something of a quality even worse than Vipco, I'd love to know who they are! The R1 Shriek Show release in particular is very good, and upscales quite well.

Quote:
This film needs no HD, if you ask me
What a silly thing to say. Given the option I can't possibly understand why anyone would consider something of a lower quality over something of a higher quality.
Daemonia and robertzombie like this.

Last edited by BAKA; 7th June 2011 at 06:51 PM.
Old 8th June 2011, 01:12 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
This film needs no HD, if you ask me
Most films have an audience, and members of those audiences who have Blu-ray would most certainly like the films they enjoy to be presented in HD. So, please, don't speak for all of us. I would love to own this on Blu-ray - and why shouldn't I?
Old 8th June 2011, 05:51 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKA View Post
Really? Who released those? Even the cut Vipco release had a solid AV quality, despite the alterations, and if there's a company out there putting out something of a quality even worse than Vipco, I'd love to know who they are! The R1 Shriek Show release in particular is very good, and upscales quite well.
Look at the non-UK European releases - quite a few of them have poor quality. You asked for names - EC Entertainment, Laser Paradise, Mondo HE, XT Video. Most of them used the same low quality source. The Vipco releases may be better - however, they are cut, as you rightly say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKA View Post
What a silly thing to say. Given the option I can't possibly understand why anyone would consider something of a lower quality over something of a higher quality.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
Most films have an audience, and members of those audiences who have Blu-ray would most certainly like the films they enjoy to be presented in HD. So, please, don't speak for all of us. I would love to own this on Blu-ray - and why shouldn't I?
I never did. Please spare me a debate on principles and read the sentence again. As usual, I used the smiley on purpose. Besides, the cinematography of this film works exactly the same way in SD as it would in a possible HD release - something I would not say about The Fifth Element, a film that really benefits from HD. Of course - given a decent source, HD would improve the picture quality of House on the Edge of the Park - as it would in a release of the original Frankenstein (I am not sure about the master of this one, though) and as it will in the upcoming "Blood Trilogy" Blu-ray release - however, those films will not benefit in the way some other flicks do (A Bay of Blood, a stylish movie, really did!).

Here the whole sentence again - for all to make notes, if necessary.
Quote:
This film needs no HD, if you ask me - it's horrifying enough in SD.
Greetings!

Last edited by Prince_Vajda; 8th June 2011 at 06:29 AM.
Old 8th June 2011, 07:50 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The EC releases are pretty good.
robertzombie likes this.
Old 8th June 2011, 09:23 AM
Newsletter Moderator
Forum Moderator

Let's keep things nice guys. I know the BD/SD debate can be a bit of a contentious issue but let's just watch our tones please. No point this descending into an argument when there's a 99.99% chance this is not going to be BD anyway - unless any of you have some spare cash lying around that you'd like to donate to the production of a HD master!
Old 8th June 2011, 11:52 AM
Cult Acolyte

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah@Cult Labs View Post
Let's keep things nice guys. I know the BD/SD debate can be a bit of a contentious issue but let's just watch our tones please. No point this descending into an argument when there's a 99.99% chance this is not going to be BD anyway - unless any of you have some spare cash lying around that you'd like to donate to the production of a HD master!

Well put 'Sarah', but the debate over hd/sd will roll on. Personally I don't see the point of poorly sourced masters getting stamped onto Blu. We have had apalling sd dvds in the past, so by all means lets have pristine 1080p goodness, but not on some vhs sourced sub-standard flick (at Blu-Ray prices of course). Lets not forget what happened to 'French Connection' I'll take my sd over the Blu of that anyday (my mate bought it and took it back saying it was faulty. heh heh) Blu-Ray is not not mystical magic after all, just higher def. Roll on 'House on the edge of the park' in glorious sd.

P.S. Excuse any spelling mistakes, spell check not working.
P.P.S Yep that does mean I agree with some of what 'Prince' said in his response.
Old 9th June 2011, 12:49 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
I never did. Please spare me a debate on principles and read the sentence again. As usual, I used the smiley on purpose. Besides, the cinematography of this film works exactly the same way in SD as it would in a possible HD release - something I would not say about The Fifth Element, a film that really benefits from HD. Of course - given a decent source, HD would improve the picture quality of House on the Edge of the Park - as it would in a release of the original Frankenstein (I am not sure about the master of this one, though) and as it will in the upcoming "Blood Trilogy" Blu-ray release - however, those films will not benefit in the way some other flicks do (A Bay of Blood, a stylish movie, really did!).
No need to take that tone, Prince. I was simply saying that not all of us would prefer a DVD over a BD. As for what will and won't look good on BD, I believe that if mastered properly from decent source materials, any film can look great in HD. It's really more a question of subjective personal taste as to what we'd like to see in HD.

That's all, I'm not spoiling for a fight, as you seem to think I was. So let's keep it friendly.
Old 9th June 2011, 01:03 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Can I ask you folk a question, please?

I have never seen a cut version of this film and, the "Cindy scene" notwithstanding, the most disturbing, troubling and upsetting part of the film for me is Alex's rape of Lisa with almost soft-focus, romantic photography and set against a lush romantic bit of score.

Has this scene ever been cut? I would have thought this far more BBFC jangling than the "Cindy scene".
Old 9th June 2011, 05:01 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
Can I ask you folk a question, please?

I have never seen a cut version of this film and, the "Cindy scene" notwithstanding, the most disturbing, troubling and upsetting part of the film for me is Alex's rape of Lisa with almost soft-focus, romantic photography and set against a lush romantic bit of score.

Has this scene ever been cut? I would have thought this far more BBFC jangling than the "Cindy scene".
Yeah - almost 180 seconds missing from UK releases. Here we have a case of a woman accepting the inevitable and nearly abonding herself to Alex. It's a mean scene, as it really looks somewhat civil and non-violent; however, it is rape. It's a difficult scene for the BBFC as Lisa at some point even seems to enjoy her being raped. Nasty indeed.

Greetings!

PS:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
So let's keep it friendly.
No offence - and none taken.
Closed Thread

Like this? Share it using the links below!