Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Music
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree1346Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th August 2023, 01:11 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The Five Classic Albums box set was added to my vast music wishlist in the summer of 2018
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1118 (Large).jpg (93.1 KB, 7 views)
Justin101 likes this.
Old 26th August 2023, 01:13 PM
Cult Veteran

Those box sets are a good idea, but I also hate that it's 5 or 6 card sleeves in a flimsy box. I have a few of them though, the Carole King one is good
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 26th August 2023, 01:25 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
Those box sets are a good idea, but I also hate that it's 5 or 6 card sleeves in a flimsy box. I have a few of them though, the Carole King one is good
I don't mind them at all.

You can't scratch the cases and as long as you rehome them they never crease or anything. I know you don't get lyrics etc but so many cd's of the time barely had any info anyway.
Justin101 likes this.
Old 26th August 2023, 06:00 PM
Cult Master

Alice has just started his latest US tour with a show at the Dos Equis Pavilion in Dallas on August 24 - this time it is the 'Freaks On Parade' double-header with Rob Zombie. Also on the bill are Filter and Ministry

There is a review of the show at Ultimate Classic Rock

"Alice Cooper's vindication was short-lived.

The singer born Vincent Damon Furnier survived all sorts of peril on Thursday at Dallas' Dos Equis Pavilion during the opening night of his Freaks on Parade co-headlining tour with Rob Zombie. Cooper handled a venomous snake with ease, outsmarted a towering Frankenstein and gritted his teeth as a guard electrocuted him. He no sooner broke free of his straitjacket than he was stuffed into a guillotine and decapitated with relish by Marie Antoideath, played by his wife, Sheryl Cooper.

Luckily, Cooper has gotten the act of nightly death and resurrection down to a science after more than half a century at the cutting edge of rock 'n' roll theater — though if he keeps shooting his mouth off about trans kids, maybe a few real-life whacks would serve him well.

Cooper's dynamite 70-minute performance — a truncated version of his Too Close for Comfort headlining set — neatly blended old favorites ("I'm Eighteen," "No More Mr. Nice Guy") and midcareer deep cuts. The show opened with "Lock Me Up" off 1986's Raise Your Fist and Yell, and Cooper hit a great mid-set run of early-'90s gems: "Hey Stoopid," "Lost in America" and "Snakebite."

As always, his band rocked to near perfection without ever sounding contrived. Guitarists Ryan Roxie, Tommy Henriksen and Nita Strauss' triple-lead attack washed over the audience like a tidal wave, and they partnered with bassist Chuck Garric to deliver expert four-part backing vocals.

Thursday's show also confirmed beyond a shadow of a doubt that Strauss is one of her generation's premier guitar heroes. Fresh off a 2022 stint touring with Demi Lovato, Strauss wooed the audience with a solo spot full of tapping, sweep-picking and whammy bar squeals, and she dashed across the stage with boundless energy and enthusiasm. Her chops and stage presence make her a crucial part of Cooper's live band, and the audience exploded with applause when the shock-rocker introduced her during the show-closing "School's Out.""

Setlist:
  • Lock Me Up (First verse and chorus only.)
  • No More Mr. Nice Guy
  • I'm Eighteen
  • Under My Wheels
  • Billion Dollar Babies
  • Snakebite
  • Lost in America
  • Hey Stoopid
  • Poison
  • Feed My Frankenstein
  • Guitar Solo (Nita Strauss)
  • Black Widow Jam
  • Ballad of Dwight Fry
  • Killer / I Love the Dead (band only)
  • Elected
  • School's Out (With "Another Brick in the Wall, Part 2" interlude

For completist sake, the review for the Rob Zombie set is:

"While Cooper's set was satirical and vaudevillian, Zombie's went for sheer maximalism, a smorgasbord of scorching flames, life-size demon babies and swiveling devil statues. The bell-bottom-clad singer shook his ass and banged his dreadlocks across the stage as the band churned an industrial metal storm fit for a BDSM club in the center of hell.

At times, the combination of droning dirges and horror movie imagery was almost oppressively heavy. But when Zombie struck the perfect blend of raunchiness and grotesquerie, as on "Superbeast" and "Living Dead Girl," it felt dangerous and devilishly fun.

When guitarist Mike Riggs encountered technical difficulties ahead of "Thunder Kiss '65," Zombie stalled by having the audience wave their lit cellphones back and forth. "It almost feels like there's a breeze,” he sneered, "but there's not. There's just hot sweat everywhere."

Zombie's sweltering pyrotechnics were a mere facsimile of the 106-degree heat that plagued opening acts Filter and Ministry. Both rose to the unenviable occasion and warmed up the crowd, figuratively and literally. Richard Patrick's tuneful roar led Filter through muscular renditions of requisite hits "Take a Picture" and "Hey Man Nice Shot," while Ministry's dreadlocked provocateur Al Jourgensen whipped the crowd into a frenzy and coaxed the sun below the horizon with the blistering "Stigmata" and set-closing "Revenge," performed for the first time since 1984."

Setlist:
  • The Triumph of King Freak (A Crypt of Preservation and Superstition)
  • Feel So Numb
  • Well, Everybody's ****ing in a U.F.O.
  • What Lurks on Channel X?
  • Superbeast
  • Demonoid Phenomenon
  • Drum Solo
  • The Lords of Salem
  • House of 1000 Corpses
  • Living Dead Girl
  • More Human Than Human
  • Thunder Kiss '65
  • "House of 1000 Corpses" re-release trailer
  • Dragula
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 26th August 2023, 06:43 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Snakebite
Lost in America
Hey Stoopid
Poison
Feed My Frankenstein

A superb run through of late 80's early 90's material. A nice change from the norm.
Old 26th August 2023, 06:59 PM
Cult Veteran

Nothing from his brand new, out this week album? Weird…

Old 26th August 2023, 10:30 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:

Also, Amazon is sending me £1.36 back and I didn't even need to to ask.
You just need to get the other two quid reimbursed now.

It's £18.99.
Old 27th August 2023, 06:39 AM
Cult Veteran

That’s the DVD edition for £18.99, I bought the Blu-ray one

Old 27th August 2023, 10:55 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
That’s the DVD edition for £18.99, I bought the Blu-ray one
Rumbled! I found that out after i'd posted. On Amazon it appears to be pot luck what you buy as the spec for both appears to be identical. Both images show the Blu for a start.

How good is the Blu-ray sound on the concert?
Old 27th August 2023, 11:32 AM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Rumbled! I found that out after i'd posted. On Amazon it appears to be pot luck what you buy as the spec for both appears to be identical. Both images show the Blu for a start.

How good is the Blu-ray sound on the concert?
I watched it quite late so didn't have it on loud, but you can choose a DTS 5.1 or an uncompressed Stereo track, sounded great though. A good mix on the band too.

Like this? Share it using the links below!