Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Music
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree262Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th August 2023, 06:30 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

I’ve never seen that one I’ll have to check it out. I’ve got Perfect Square though and I actually pulled it out to go on the watch pile last week after you mentioned it.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 5th August 2023, 11:03 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Within Temptation - Elements

How this band aren't festival headliners in the UK like they are across Europe is beyond me.

They've got the songs, they've got the show...

Within Temptation - Sinead

Elements live in Antwerp (2014)
Justin101 likes this.
Old 12th August 2023, 12:03 PM
Cult Veteran

I’ve not watched it yet (apart from Thunderstruck on YouTube) but I picked this up for £6 in CEX this morning.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 12th August 2023, 12:22 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I’ve not watched it yet (apart from Thunderstruck on YouTube) but I picked this up for £6 in CEX this morning.

My review from 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
Yesterday, I watched the AC/DC River Plate concert

It was fun, but probably the worst AC/DC DVD that I currently have. Don't get me wrong - the music as good, but I found the split screen effect to be very annoying, and the constant shots of the audience seem to be there wholly to say 'hey guys, look at how many people we were playing to'

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 12th August 2023, 10:58 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

I ended up watching the Motley Crue video compilation Red White and Crue last night, all two hours of it, rather than a film.

I'd noticed that TOTP2 on BBC4 was from 1987 and featured Def Leppard and Motley Crue.

Leppard were on first performing Animal 'live' in the studio and the Crue's video for Girls, Girls, Girls was second.

What the hell was that i watched? i asked myself.

Talk about BBC political correctness, it was ridiculous. Baring in mind this was two in the morning it was broadcast, the video was cut to shreds.

Gone were the majority of shots of stripping dancing girls on stage, gone was the part where Tommy Lee throws his flick knife into the table and also gone were the scenes of the band riding their Harley's down the Strip, presumably as they weren't wearing helmets and also gone were all the neon signs baring words like 'Sex', 'nude girls' 'XXX' and so on.

In their place were sequences from the earlier videos for Looks that Kill, Home Sweet Home and Smoking in the Boys Room. God knows what they'd have done to the uncensored Girls, Girls, Girls video.

I just had to compare the BBC's cut version with the original video and ended up watching the whole set. What it did prove is that aside from the Theater of Pain album in 1985 Motley Crue were never a 'glam' band. Two years later out went the lipstick and lace and in came the bikes and leather and by 89's Dr. Feelgood album Tommy Lee and Nikki Sixx both had partly shaved heads and looked more like punks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Motley-Crue-Red-White-Crue.jpg (33.2 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by Demdike@Cult Labs; 12th August 2023 at 11:08 PM.
Old 18th August 2023, 05:12 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Emperor - Live at Wacken 2006

A storming headline slot at Wacken Open Air, intense yet catchy with it, Curse You All Men and The Loss and Curse of Reverence being highlights for me along with I Am the Black Wizards. Genuine proof that Black Metal bands can headline to huge stadium size crowds.

The sound on the dvd is excellent and the image quality good.

Pink's Funhouse Tour: Live In Australia 2009

Probably goes without saying that both sound and picture quality are magnificent on this. Similar to when i saw her, Pink puts on a fantastic entertaining show with some awesome high wire work.

She was still in her rock phase on the Funhouse album and it translates well to the live arena. She performs with a full live band including two guitarists. She has a great rapport with her long time lead guitarist Justin Derrico who is at the center of every song including covers of Led Zeppelin's Babe i'm Gonna Leave You and Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody, however her extremely sexy cover of I Touch Myself (DiVinyls) beat them all.

One of the extras is Derrico on the art of shredding.

Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Tell Me What Rockers to Swallow: Live at the Fillmore 2004

Karen O is such a crazed bundle of energy and runs riot on this fairly small stage at the start of the band's career. Classics Black Tongue, Maps, Date With the Night and Modern Romance all tear the roof off the place.

An exciting live spectacle reminiscent of the art punk of Siouxsie and the Banshees, i love this dvd which looks and sounds great.

Gimme Some Sugar Lawless NYC (2007)

Actor Lucy Lawless takes to the stage in an intimate 500 capacity venue and performs some of her own songs and several cover versions of soft rock standards. Lucy's brilliant as she always is and looks mind blowing in her skintight silver catsuit.

The best part was when Reneè O'Connor wanders onto the stage in a shimmering red dress and proceeds to shake her ass off in a superb cameo dance.

Apparently this dvd is ultra rare and is priced at $229 on Ebay.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a0596233154_16.jpg (40.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 71iJo8SoctL._AC_SL1200_.jpg (98.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Tell_Me_What_Rockers_to_Swallow.jpg (92.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg XE-DVD19.jpg (46.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 20th August 2023, 03:23 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Lady Gaga - The Monster Ball Tour At Madison Square Garden

This was something truly different and unexpected as Lady Gaga performs a series of routines and songs in many weird and wonderful costumes that feel less like a concert and more like a movie in storyline and theatrics. Gaga is on brilliant form and sings superbly on early numbers that have become classics in Just Dance, Alejandro, Poker Face, Paparazzi and Bad Romance. The music a brilliant explosion of electro pop laced with hard rock guitar gives the songs great power in the live setting and the whole thing looked and sounded superb on dvd.

Throughout the show there are echoes of possible genre meshing influences from Madonna and Elton John to Kiss and even W.A.S.P. when she adorns her flaming cod piece.

I've had the dvd knocking about for years and never watched it until last night.Two hours absolutely flew by. This was excellent.

ZZ Top: Live from Texas (2008)

A dvd i return to time and time again. Sound and picture quality are excellent as are the songs, from Legs through Pin Cushion to an incendiary Heard it on the X, this is ZZ Top at the 'er top of their game performing in their own imitable style. Drums crashing, bass rumbling and guitar fuzzing. Simple blues rock but eminently watchable.

This was as far away from the theatrics of Lady Gaga as possible but just as good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 512Rq4B+7OL._AC_.jpg (32.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 91sJozst7jL._AC_SL1500_.jpg (98.6 KB, 0 views)
Justin101 and Susan Foreman like this.
Old 20th August 2023, 04:31 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Lady Gaga - The Monster Ball Tour At Madison Square Garden

This was something truly different and unexpected as Lady Gaga performs a series of routines and songs in many weird and wonderful costumes that feel less like a concert and more like a movie in storyline and theatrics. Gaga is on brilliant form and sings superbly on early numbers that have become classics in Just Dance, Alejandro, Poker Face, Paparazzi and Bad Romance. The music a brilliant explosion of electro pop laced with hard rock guitar gives the songs great power in the live setting and the whole thing looked and sounded superb on dvd.
This is a great concert

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 16th March 2024, 07:20 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

I watched the full AC/DC Live in River Plate dvd last night and absolutely loved it.

Unlike Susan above, i really liked the split screen effect, it gave the show a more frantic, vibrant feel as did the crowd shots which frequently showed the whole stadium bouncing.

The LPCM track played via full surround sound was an incredible experience - i could feel the sub woofer making the floor bounce along with the crowd. The dvd was filmed in HD and looked fantastic on a large screen.

My only gripe was it took them half an hour to play the last three songs. That's the main reason i got bored with them all those years ago at Donington. Way too many solos from Angus. It's also a pity that Malcolm and Cliff were seemingly glued to the sides of Rudd's drum kit. They never moved the whole show. It was Angus and Brian dashing about and that's all.

I'd forgotten i'd bought it at the Air Ambulance shop last year for a quid.
Justin101 and Susan Foreman like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!