Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Music
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree27206Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th March 2011, 09:55 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I listen to a fair amount of new music because a lot of the people I work with a really passionate about seeking out new acts and their sense of discovery is contagious. One of the most interesting albums I’ve been introduced to is the self-titled Dead Man’s Bones.

DMB started life as a concept for a stage show thought up by the actor Ryan Gosling (THE BELIEVER, BLUE VALENTINE) and his friend. The show never came to fruition because of its potential cost but the pair decided to take the material they’d written and create an album. …and what an album! It’s a concept album and is a little on the macabre side but it’s brilliant nonetheless and I’d certainly recommend it to anyone who likes the Doors (track I’ve linked below is very Doors-esque), but there are many other influences at work here too. Well worth checking out (the whole album is on Spotify) or it can be had for a reasonable price online (think I paid a fiver for mine).

Old 18th March 2011, 10:01 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr 420 View Post
I remember going to see them in the early '90s and being really surprised at their live power (if that makes any sense!). Shame that they are not still on the go.
I'm a firm believer in quitting while you're ahead, mate. Nothing worse that once great bands and solo acts ruining their reputation because they do not wnat to give up the limelight.
Old 18th March 2011, 10:07 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul@Lovelockandload View Post
I'm a firm believer in quitting while you're ahead, mate. Nothing worse that once great bands and solo acts ruining their reputation because they do not wnat to give up the limelight.
Very true Paul. The point I was trying to put over was they were one of the best live acts that I have seen and it's a shame that I won't get that chance again.
Old 18th March 2011, 10:10 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Very true Paul. The point I was trying to put over was they were one of the best live acts that I have seen and it's a shame that I won't get that chance again.
Ah, okay. I see what you mean, but there have been some bands that have made a right hash of performing their best stuff live years down the line.
Old 18th March 2011, 10:15 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Ah, okay. I see what you mean, but there have been some bands that have made a right hash of performing their best stuff live years down the line.
The name Axl Rose springs to mind.
Old 18th March 2011, 10:21 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
The name Axl Rose springs to mind.
Exactly. Prime example of someone who should have called it a day way back when.
Old 18th March 2011, 10:25 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Exactly. Prime example of someone who should have called it a day way back when.
Satus Quo anyone?
Old 18th March 2011, 10:31 AM
Active Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:
I thought you'd stopped listening to the Smiths, mate?

Funny how you can stop listening to stuff from the past but there'll be a time when you're overcome by the urge to listen to it again.

I was never massively into the Smiths but I do like them and some of Morrissey's solo stuff too.
Yeah, I started re-appraising them when I started filling my phone up with MP3's, hit random play one day and some tracks came on and I was back in the mood. First time I'd listened to them in about 15 years or so, brings back memories of being at school in the 80's.

Quote:
I remember going to see them in the early '90s and being really surprised at their live power (if that makes any sense!). Shame that they are not still on the go.
Same here, saw them twice back then. Still have my tickets too...

Old 18th March 2011, 10:33 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny View Post
Yeah, I started re-appraising them when I started filling my phone up with MP3's, hit random play one day and some tracks came on and I was back in the mood. First time I'd listened to them in about 15 years or so, brings back memories of being at school in the 80's.

Same here, saw them twice back then. Still have my tickets too...

look at the prices on those tickets! You would never get value like that for a big band these days.
Old 18th March 2011, 10:35 AM
Cult Addict

Hipsway - Tinder.

Like this? Share it using the links below!