LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st June 2016, 06:20 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMIOUSE View Post
I wonder if will re-invest any of the additional funds into a previous release or focus the funds on a new title? Of the previously released films only Anthro and Blade need scans as they are the worst affected by scanner noise.
A completely new remastering of Cut and Run would be superb.
Old 1st June 2016, 06:25 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
A completely new remastering of Cut and Run would be superb.
Aren't Code Red putting Cut and Run out? It's cetainly a possibilty for 88 as Anchor Bays rights will have ended years ago. Plus if a HD master exists they will have access to it, even Bill has stumpted up the $$$ to fund it.
keirarts likes this.
Old 1st June 2016, 07:09 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
looks like I might have to ditch 88's Zombie Holocaust after all....

https://severin-films.com/shop/docto...r-m-d-blu-ray/
Severin where not laying when they told me that this release will be special
Old 1st June 2016, 08:15 PM
Cultist

Does it actually cost 10 grand to remaster a film?
Old 1st June 2016, 08:22 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Matrix View Post
I imagine it's not cheap or every label would do it with every release. As for the precise figure, I have no idea.
keirarts likes this.
Old 1st June 2016, 08:35 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMIOUSE View Post
Aren't Code Red putting Cut and Run out? It's cetainly a possibilty for 88 as Anchor Bays rights will have ended years ago. Plus if a HD master exists they will have access to it, even Bill has stumpted up the $$$ to fund it.

I hope this time we will get a full English audio for Cut and Run. The US dvd had certain scenes in Italian believing there was no surviving English track however the Hong Kong release was fully uncut and fully in English
Steel76, keirarts and platostotal like this.
Old 1st June 2016, 10:44 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Matrix View Post
Depends.

It's not just the cost of actually restoring but liscening as well and dealing with the rights owners. I've discussed this with various people online. It seems to be different dealing with films in different territories.

With Italy apparantly there are various options to the distributor. The Cheapest is to liscence an existing scan and stick some extras on. Arrow did this initially and we know how that turned out. 88 films did it with some of their releases as well and again, scanner noise, DNR ect ect.
Its dearer to liscence the film and do the restoration directly. Arrow seem to be funding these by releasing some of the more 'mainstream' stuff like the burbs which will sell. 88 are doing it through crowdfunding which can be a better option in certain circumstances. The Walerian Borowczyk set was done this way as Arrow had no idea what demand existed. Its also got to take into account the territory its being released in. Germany is a fairly big market as is America so the labels there might have deeper pockets to take a risc. Or in the case of Camera Obsucra be a single lone obsessive with a talent for restoration and inside connections with the Italian labs.
A uk label will also need BBFC certification on top of this and then the cost of physically producing the disc and packaging as well as getting bonus materials. You then have to hope that people buy it.

Midnight legacy took a bath on Alien 2 and dissappeared for some years. The Disc itself is phenomenal however the expense must have been fairly prohibitive and the actual market for a film like that is not huge. Exposure in the UK released Stagefright in the UK around the time Blue underground did in the US and a lot of fans bypassed it for the american release as there was more brand awareness, a shame as I prefer the uk disc and it has better sleeve art.

Ultimately its a risk and releasing films is not a highly profitable area so it tends to be a labour of love. Saner labels like Criterion and Arrow are trying to have markets on both sides of the pond to stay profitable.

does it cost $10k?

The short answer is not a clue but is is expensive.
Old 2nd June 2016, 02:46 PM
Active Cultist

Guys who have 88 films blu ray of zombie holocaust will you be also buying severin edition?
Old 2nd June 2016, 03:04 PM
Cult Veteran

If it's Region A then no, if it's all regions then I probably will

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 2nd June 2016, 03:07 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by michal View Post
Guys who have 88 films blu ray of zombie holocaust will you be also buying severin edition?
I will but I'm not really interested in the doctor butcher stuff only the zombie holocaust disc and mainly for the re-insertion of the deleted pit sequence that was in the pre-cert when I first saw the film

Like this? Share it using the links below!