LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd March 2024, 08:05 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

I'll believe it when I see it, but I will be buying it

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 22nd March 2024, 10:59 PM
Cult Addict

Picked Humanoids From the Deep and Galaxy of Terror up from HMVs 88 promotion (2 for ?15).
Actual films are upstairs and I'll disturb the missus fetching them hence stock photos from Amazon.
Got my eye on a few more. Can anyone offer a thought on The Torture Chamber of Dr Sadism and Night of the Demon?
Screenshot_20240322_235603_Amazon%20Shopping.jpgScreenshot_20240322_235542_Amazon%20Shopping.jpg
Old 23rd March 2024, 01:56 PM
Cult Addict

Torture chamber of Dr Sadism is kind of a 60's Euro version of a Corman Poe film, it's got a torture chamber and creepy murals like pit and the pendulum, it's atmospheric and also has a really nice Bava style scene where people are in a carriage and the road ahead has corpses hanging from the trees. I really like it.

Night of the Demon (the Bigfoot Video Nasty film) is fun, with the creature ripping out entrails and waving them about, it's no masterpiece but I like it as well.

I have old copies of both and would like to upgrade them but haven't really got spare money currently. If I did I would get them.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 23rd March 2024, 03:09 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Picked Humanoids From the Deep and Galaxy of Terror up from HMVs 88 promotion (2 for ?15).
Actual films are upstairs and I'll disturb the missus fetching them hence stock photos from Amazon.
Got my eye on a few more. Can anyone offer a thought on The Torture Chamber of Dr Sadism and Night of the Demon?
Attachment 250414Attachment 250415
Yep, both very good.

I really like Torture Chamber. I've reviewed it here a couple of times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The Torture Chamber of Dr. Sadism (1967)

Count Regulor is brought back to life after earlier being hung, drawn and quatered and continues his quest for eternal youth by draining the blood of virgins. As he attempts to ensnare his 13th and final victim, played by Karin Dor. The heroic square jawed Lex Barker is luckily on hand to defeat the evil Count.

Another extremely loose adaptation of Edgar Allan Poe's classic story The Pit and the Pendulum, this time from Germany.

For a film that's not widely known or seen there are a succession of notable set pieces, in particular the deliriously disturbing nightmarish coach journey which travels eerily creepy forests, the trees garlanded with corpses and limbs protruding from trunks and branches and the torture chamber itself populated with the bloodless, frozen, naked bodies of the previous twelve victims of the Count.

The horse drawn carriage journey to the Count's castle takes up a good quarter of the films running time, and whilst this could have dragged, in this film its the most memorable part due to the jaw dropping imagery. The hanging corpses in the mist are genuinely frightening. Director Harald Reinl's camera slowly guides past them allowing us the coachman's view of proceedings, no wonder he dies of a heart attack midway through the journey.

Christopher Lee is the film's 'name' but unfortunately he's not in it much other than being hung drawn and quartered at the start he's not in it again until he's revived during the last half hour.

The Torture Chamber of Dr. Sadism aka The Snake Pit and the Pendulum is a good film, perhaps not one of the great Gothic horrors, but the surreal nightmarish coach journey will stay in your head long after the film finishes, more so than the story itself.

I'd only seen this previously a couple of times on a grey market dvd and it looked quite poor, however the new 88 Films Blu-ray looks superb and the 4K transfer brings it's Gothic splendors to vivid life.

Recommended.
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 23rd March 2024, 10:59 PM
Cult Addict

Sold! I'll get myself down there tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
Old 23rd March 2024, 11:01 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Sold! I'll get myself down there tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
Night of the Demon is a low budget gore fest.

I notice Beware My Brethren and A Candle for the Devil are also in the offer. Two other good ones.
Old 26th March 2024, 07:53 AM
Cultist

as anyone had problem with their release of evil dead trap cause the disc played fine cause I watched the interview and the trailer and when I tried the storyboards it paused toward the end of it and my player made the sound of it trying to loading and now none of my disc play it just says no disc.
Old 27th March 2024, 03:07 PM
Active Cultist

Default The 88 Films Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter alex View Post
as anyone had problem with their release of evil dead trap.
Plays perfectly and without issue on the main feature and special features for me. A very welcome improvement over the Unearthed BD which has major subtitle synching issues in certain scenes and it was never corrected or addressed (I'll still hold onto it for the additional commentary tracks though).
marvinnashsear likes this.

Last edited by Dave; 27th March 2024 at 09:16 PM.
Old 2nd April 2024, 02:16 PM
Cult Master

"As stated when we announced it, the replacement programme for Hell of the Living Dead and House on the Edge of the Park is now closed.

If you already applied for it but have not yet received your discs you can still chase this up with us but if you've applied already then please don't as we won't make any exceptions.

We are a tiny company and although it's completely our fault this has taken up a huge amount of our time and caused multiple release date delays so we need to draw a line under it which we planned to do all along as stated in our announcement.

We hope you enjoyed these releases...... eventually!"
That second paragraph doesn't make a lot of sense!

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 2nd April 2024, 02:18 PM
Cult Veteran

They?ve just missed the word not, it happens to the best of us.
Dave likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Like this? Share it using the links below!