Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree16586Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st May 2017, 11:07 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I think most of these people are too young to remember going to film fairs and buying under the counter VHS tapes 'imported' from Holland etc. I only got there at the tail end of it all but I still appreciate that we're lucky to have some of these crappy films at all haha.
My brother and I used to do all the film fairs, London, Watford, Cambridge etc & never imagined it would be like this! Seriously I'm not going to prison for watching Texas Chainsaw or The Excorcist??? Amazing! The censorship laws have changed for the better & now cult film fans are in a great position to enjoy so many previously unavailable titles!
Old 1st May 2017, 11:17 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Never went to any film fairs, but back in the early to mid 90's me and a mate used to go up and down the country to record fairs and there was always a couple of guys selling VHS's from under their main CD/vinyl stalls. Being a horror fan, I used to get them to show me the tapes they were selling, but being between 12-16, they never let me buy anything
I saw some belters too, pretty much all the DPP39 titles on both Beta and VHS, decent enough prices too-£20 each etc.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 1st May 2017, 11:26 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostalgic View Post
My brother and I used to do all the film fairs, London, Watford, Cambridge etc & never imagined it would be like this! Seriously I'm not going to prison for watching Texas Chainsaw or The Excorcist??? Amazing! The censorship laws have changed for the better & now cult film fans are in a great position to enjoy so many previously unavailable titles!
I probably know you - my mate and I did stalls at Watford, Hatfield and Welwyn Garden City - used to go to loads in Camden and Westminster too.
mr 420, Demoncrat and Graeme73 like this.

Last edited by Paul@TheOverlook; 1st May 2017 at 01:51 PM.
Old 1st May 2017, 12:24 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul@TheOverlook View Post
I probably know you - my mate and I dod stalls at Watford, Hatfield and Welwyn Garden City - used to got to loads in Camden and Westminster too.
He didn't look like a pro wrestler, did he (about 6'8 and built like a brick shithouse?).
Paul@TheOverlook likes this.
Old 1st May 2017, 12:31 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Funny you should mention it - yes! He's six five, baldie - used to get told he looked like "Big Show"
Old 1st May 2017, 02:05 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
I probably know you - my mate and I did stalls at Watford, Hatfield and Welwyn Garden City - used to go to loads in Camden and Westminster too.
Am actually going to go to the next westminister one as I have the day off for once! Will be interesting to see what's being sold now since nothing is hard to get, maybe the stalls will just be full of Arrow & 88 blu's lol!

Do you remember the guy who used to shrink wrap his bootlegs & put price stickers from Blockbuster video on them?
And some of the people who would literally walk around with a laundry bag full of tapes trying to swap with dealers?
Funny days, fondly remembered!
Old 1st May 2017, 02:31 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostalgic View Post
Am actually going to go to the next westminister one as I have the day off for once! Will be interesting to see what's being sold now since nothing is hard to get, maybe the stalls will just be full of Arrow & 88 blu's lol!

Do you remember the guy who used to shrink wrap his bootlegs & put price stickers from Blockbuster video on them?
And some of the people who would literally walk around with a laundry bag full of tapes trying to swap with dealers?
Funny days, fondly remembered!
Yeah - there was was an American guy (who looked like Charles Manson) - Phil, something or other - he was a suitcase of swaps type - used to fly in, periodically, from New York, I think. There was also "smelly Jesus" aka "Jesus John" who was always after swaps and, of course, Marc Morris, would wander around with a carrier bag looking for swaps too!

Happy days - made a lot of friends who I am still in contact with on Facebook today.
Old 1st May 2017, 03:06 PM
Cult Acolyte

Watched 88's blu ray of 2019 AFTER THE FALL OF NEW YORK and enjoyed it much more than I was expecting. One of the things I love is watching movies I may have given a miss if they weren't part of The Italian Collection. A bit like the BFI Flipside in fact. Both these are easily my favourite ( and complete ) collections these days.
Old 1st May 2017, 03:19 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Funny you should mention it - yes! He's six five, baldie - used to get told he looked like "Big Show"
He's one of my main memories of the time I managed to get to Watford. I was down for a wedding with my cousin (I've got family in Kent) and we decided to visit. IIRC, I managed to get a nice Frozen Scream off your mate.

Paul, maybe you can help me. My cousin (who's got a photographic memory) swears that a weird smelly guy who always seemed to be hovering over our shoulders that day was the same dude who was all over the TV a few years ago. He would appear in the back of news reports, antiques road shows, etc. I hope this makes some sense.

Last edited by mr 420; 1st May 2017 at 09:20 PM.
Old 1st May 2017, 05:53 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr 420 View Post
He's one of my main memories of the time I managed to get to Watford. I was down for a wedding with my cousin (I've got family in Kent) and we decided to visit. IIRC, I managed to get a nice Frozen Scream off your mate.

Paul, maybe you can help me. My cousin (who's got a photographic memory) swears that a weird smelly guy who always seemed to hovering over our shoulders that day was the same dude who was all over the TV a few years ago. He would appear in the back of news reports, antiques road shows, etc. I hope this makes some sense.
I certainly can!

That guy is called Paul Yarrow - My big mate once threw him over a table at Camden and attempted to choke him for ruining a deal with someone else!

There's a fair few videos of him on YouTube...

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...rrow+photobomb

Like this? Share it using the links below!