All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree2586Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th January 2019, 06:27 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
A new Network release that sounds good.

The legendary Orson Welles hosts thirteen mysterious tales from this much sought-after anthology series.

Showcasing a haunting theme by John Barry, these macabre – often supernatural – dramas feature an astonishing array of talent, including Rupert Davies, Eli Wallach, Michael Kitchen, Patrick Magee, Donald Pleasence, Peter Cushing, Susannah York, Michael Gambon, Julie Dawn Cole, Kenneth Haigh, Harry Andrews, Dinsdale Landen, Christopher Lee, Jane Seymour and Ian Holm.

The episodes featured on this set – including classic tales from Wilkie Collins, W.W. Jacobs, Honoré de Balzac, Charles Dickens and Arthur Conan Doyle – are:

A Terribly Strange Bed
Compliments of the Season
The Ingenious Reporter
The Monkey's Paw
Captain Rogers
For Sale - Silence
La Grande Breteche
An Affair of Honour
In the Confessional
The Furnished Room
Under Suspicion
The Leather Funnel
Trial for Murder
The only one I remember seeing is A Terribly Strange Bed, based on the Wilkie Collins short story, but probably seen one or two of the others as well. I'll probably get it when they release the whole series in one volume but definitely one to add to the collection eventually.
Old 30th January 2019, 06:31 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob4 View Post
The only one I remember seeing is A Terribly Strange Bed, based on the Wilkie Collins short story, but probably seen one or two of the others as well. I'll probably get it when they release the whole series in one volume but definitely one to add to the collection eventually.
26 eps in total according to Wiki.

13 here so it'll work out at £30 for the whole set. Perhaps they won't do it in one volume, who knows.

Where have you seen it Rob? Youtube or has it been repeated somewhere?
Old 30th January 2019, 06:35 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

I finished Shadows of Fear last night.

One or two duffers but on the whole a good and occasionally very creepy series. All thrillers rather than anything supernatural i might add but some super creepy ones anyway.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shadows-of-fear-the-complete-series.jpg (99.5 KB, 11 views)
Old 30th January 2019, 08:12 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
I finished Shadows of Fear last night.

One or two duffers but on the whole a good and occasionally very creepy series. All thrillers rather than anything supernatural i might add but some super creepy ones anyway.

This has been on my ‘to watch’ pile for quite a while!

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 30th January 2019, 09:51 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
This has been on my ‘to watch’ pile for quite a while!
If you enjoyed Thriller then several of these episodes could have comfortably been in that series.
Justin101 likes this.
Old 31st January 2019, 06:59 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
26 eps in total according to Wiki.

13 here so it'll work out at £30 for the whole set. Perhaps they won't do it in one volume, who knows.

Where have you seen it Rob? Youtube or has it been repeated somewhere?
i don't think it ever had a regular slot in my ITV region (Tyne Tees) which is why i'm not sure of seeing any of the others, or perhaps i missed the original run, and what i saw was a one-off repeat? in the words of Jim Steinman it 'was so long ago and so far away... objects in the rearview mirror...' and all of that
Old 31st January 2019, 07:53 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
in the words of Jim Steinman it 'was so long ago and so far away... objects in the rearview mirror...' and all of that

Hopefully it's not a case of the memory lying, and it being "So much better than it was today!"

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 31st January 2019, 01:00 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
Hopefully it's not a case of the memory lying, and it being "So much better than it was today!"
i don't hanker for the past. besides the music, the movies and the TV, the rest of the seventies was pretty grim. in regards to this series, i don't think what i saw was anything special, but the Wilkie Collins story was faithfully adapted and mildly diverting if i remember rightly.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 31st January 2019, 01:05 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
i don't hanker for the past. besides the music, the movies and the TV, the rest of the seventies was pretty grim. in regards to this series, i don't think what i saw was anything special, but the Wilkie Collins story was faithfully adapted and mildly diverting if i remember rightly.
How old were you back then if you don't mind me asking?
Old 31st January 2019, 03:52 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
How old were you back then if you don't mind me asking?
not at all. i was born November '66 and was definitely 5 years old when I saw my first horror movie - Corman's House of Usher. I know that because I was 5 when we moved house and we were still at the old house when I saw it. i also remember starting to notice Dr. Who at that point because I remember Delgado in The Daemons.

It's hard to tell how old I was for the Welles series. I would have been 7-8 for the first run, but as I understand it not all these programmes aired at the same time on the ITV network, and I definitely didn't catch many of them, so I could have been older.
Demoncrat likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!