Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree677Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st February 2024, 09:59 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I'm no longer that interested in those limited editions that are basically 4K releases. Second Sight being the main culprit. Bloody rip off merchants they are. Forty quid for shit artwork and even shitter looking tinted art cards.
Exactly that.
Old 1st February 2024, 10:12 PM
Cult Addict

HMV have an actual page on their site for this StudioCanal promotion. May be helpful. I've been randomly searching titles.
https://hmv.com/store/film-tv/studio...format=Blu-ray
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 2nd February 2024, 07:30 AM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Exactly. Not helped by the trend of only making a nice blu ray edition available if you fork out in some cases nigh on forty quid for limited 4k edition.
I see this happening increasingly. I have no interest in 4K (don't even own a 4K player or TV), but quite a few films I wanted to buy for my collection are released only in 4K+Blu-ray. Physical media is already expensive enough without forcing me to buy something I have no use for.
J Harker likes this.
Old 2nd February 2024, 08:39 AM
Cult Acolyte

There's a number of people on Blurage who are refusing to buy either the BR or the UHD when they are released concurrently on separate formats and insist that every release should be dual format.

I struggle to see the reasoning, because if they are set up for UHD why don't they just buy the UHD and have done with it?

Maybe these people are Second Sight staffers...
Old 2nd February 2024, 08:49 AM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob4 View Post
There's a number of people on Blurage who are refusing to buy either the BR or the UHD when they are released concurrently on separate formats and insist that every release should be dual format.

I struggle to see the reasoning, because if they are set up for UHD why don't they just buy the UHD and have done with it?

Maybe these people are Second Sight staffers...

But that makes no sense at all. If you own a 4K setup and 4K is what you're looking for, why also buy BR? What use could you possibly have for it? They're too slippery for coasters!

I make the same argument for BR+DVD (our German friends do a lot of that), but in this case the price doesn't seem to increase so much as 4k+BR.
Rob4 likes this.
Old 2nd February 2024, 09:59 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

The only reason you’d ever need a UHD and BD dual release is so you can compare both discs and see how awesome the HDR is lol

I can’t say I’ve not bought a UHD because it didn’t have a Blu-ray in the box as well haha. HOWEVER, there is a trend particularly in America with big studios they release a UHD with no special features on the 4k disc and you don’t get the Blu-ray in the set, in the UK that same release will include the Blu-ray with the special features… so in that case I can see the point. The Exorcist was like this in US vs UK.
Nuno_Miranda likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 2nd February 2024, 10:09 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuno_Miranda View Post
I see this happening increasingly. I have no interest in 4K (don't even own a 4K player or TV), but quite a few films I wanted to buy for my collection are released only in 4K+Blu-ray. Physical media is already expensive enough without forcing me to buy something I have no use for.
Totally agree. I've mentioned before, I can play 4K no problem. In the living room at least. But I've no interest in it. 1080p is more than adequate and I refuse to pay exorbitant prices for a disc I don't want.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
Nuno_Miranda likes this.
Old 2nd February 2024, 11:48 AM
Cultist

I actually own 1 UHD... It's Star Trek: The Motion Picture pretty box with lots of physical stuff and all the extras. I couldn't resist, it also included the BR, so it had to be done. So far, that's it, but I know there will be more, because it seems to be an unstoppable force.

I think it was in a The Digital Bits opinion piece that I read UHD was probably the last physical media we're going to have. That's pretty bleak, unless someone somewhere decides that 8K is the thing, and here we go again. I can almost see a point where they'll stop releasing BR. On the other hand, DVD is still being published, and I know so many people -- not exactly film geeks, but just regular people who buy a DVD once in a while because they like the movie -- that never upgraded to BR and never will. They're more likely to move irrevocably to streaming than to buy another player. Too many people are still under the illusion that "everything is on Netflix or Prime" (the two streamers we have here), which is so absurd. I keep having the same discussion with different/new people who see my film collection. It's just exhausting.
Old 2nd February 2024, 01:23 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Blu-ray and dvd as a dual format works well in my opinion. It meant i already owned over 100 Blu-rays prior to buying a Blu-ray player and could still buy films to watch at the time on dvd.

The difference in image quality is there for all to see so the Blu-ray disc in the set was always a kind of future investment when purchasing dual format releases.

However shoving a Blu in with a 4K disc just smacks of companies being greedy UNLESS the blu-ray disc in the set is also a newly restored 4K version.
Nuno_Miranda likes this.
Old 2nd February 2024, 01:32 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuno_Miranda View Post
I actually own 1 UHD... It's Star Trek: The Motion Picture pretty box with lots of physical stuff and all the extras. I couldn't resist, it also included the BR, so it had to be done. So far, that's it, but I know there will be more, because it seems to be an unstoppable force.

I think it was in a The Digital Bits opinion piece that I read UHD was probably the last physical media we're going to have. That's pretty bleak, unless someone somewhere decides that 8K is the thing, and here we go again. I can almost see a point where they'll stop releasing BR. On the other hand, DVD is still being published, and I know so many people -- not exactly film geeks, but just regular people who buy a DVD once in a while because they like the movie -- that never upgraded to BR and never will. They're more likely to move irrevocably to streaming than to buy another player. Too many people are still under the illusion that "everything is on Netflix or Prime" (the two streamers we have here), which is so absurd. I keep having the same discussion with different/new people who see my film collection. It's just exhausting.
Not only are dvd's still being made they still sell far more copies than Blu-ray and 4K doesn't even warrant a mention. Amazon states what a film has sold in the last month nowadays. For example -

Oppenheimer - 1k+ Blu-ray sold, 800+ 4K sold and 4k+ dvd's.

The Equalizer 3 - 400+ Blu-ray, 100+ 4K and 1k+ dvd's.
Nuno_Miranda likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!