Like Tree36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th February 2010, 07:09 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansonsblood View Post
AFRICAN QUEEN
Bizarrely the Times promo DVD of this is the best one I've seen so far.
Old 2nd March 2010, 06:54 AM
Cultist in Training

the cut version of body count.
Old 2nd March 2010, 11:48 AM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

The Film 2000 release of Madhouse is uncut and visually a nice print. However you have to turn the volume up to hear it at times and then get blasted out of your chair during the louder parts.
Old 3rd March 2010, 06:00 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

The Revelation dvd release of the excellent HORROR EXPRESS was absolutely awful.The Cinema Club release looks far better but it's still disappointing.The UK release of T.N.T JACKSON is also poor.The Pegasus dvd of THE HOLCROFT COVENANT also used as the source I assume of The Mail 'freebie' dvd release was also abysmal.
Old 3rd March 2010, 06:17 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

the cinema club version of Horror express is a little better although it seems a bit washed, the color i mean. a proper remaster of this film is needed with the original artwork instead of crappy photoshoped covers.
Old 3rd March 2010, 09:41 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

The Arrow/Prism release of Brimstone And Treacle is appalling.
Old 3rd March 2010, 10:10 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

The Boulevard (IIRC) disk of The Creature From Black Lake is grim - very dark. Seems to be from a worn VHS or Beta source.

The Stax DVD of the superb Silent Night Bloody Night is a public domain mess, optically transferred from 16mm to VHS then to DVD I reckon. This excellent film deserves a lot better.

That German disk of Rituals (can't remember what label it is on, and my gf is asleep right by the DVD cabinet! ) - the last half hour or so is mostly a black screen and the previous hour has a weird pinky-yellow (peach?) tinge. It is also from a faded, worn source with plenty of print damage.

The R1 Diamond release of Cat O'Nine Tails - not only is it a heavily cut TV version with a misleadingly long running time suggested on the cover, the image is grainy, bleached and soft.

Mya Communications' Legend Of Blood Castle is clearly from a VHS master and is grainy and fuzzy. The extra and deleted scenes are even worse than the main film.
Old 6th March 2010, 07:38 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Sadly, I have to add another to my list. I have finally been going through the disks I got this week and reached The Terror on Dark Visions. This is a lesser Corman Gothic, but as I'm trying to collect them I bought it - I wish I hadn't bothered.

Even at £2.99 it is a rip-off - PLEASE avoid. The disk is taken from a very worn out old VHS, is overly dark, detail is non-existent adn the sound is hugely hissy. The ancient ex-rental Betamax I had of this was much better!

On the day I got this I also got a number of bootleg DVD-Rs, some from VHS tapes and all were much better quality than this legit release.

Public Domain releasing strikes again! I hope there's a better quality R1 release of this. I wouldn't even try to sell or trade this disk, so far as I'm concerned it's just a spare Amaray.
Old 6th March 2010, 08:28 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Not the worst I've seen but the region 4 dvd of Crocodile Dundee from 20th Century Fox,which features the longer Australian print of the film leaves a lot to be desired.Slightly cropped from the original 2.35:1 ratio to 2.2:1,the picture is extremely dark.I was really shocked that Fox would release a dvd that looked as bad as this.
Old 6th March 2010, 08:35 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Pegasus dvd of the Lee Van Cleef spaghetti western Storm Rider has the worst widescreen transfer I have ever seen, it looks like it has been left to soak in a bucket full of shit, mud and vomit.

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter

Like this? Share it using the links below!