Like Tree3575Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th November 2011, 02:51 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by the blob View Post
I still need to get that Alien 2 disc...

The other thing about Code Red is they're releasing way too much for the economy and distribution networks as they are. I know record labels that don't release anywhere near that rate and some of them are download only! If you're going to release anywhere near that volume it has to be dirt cheap.
Night of the Demon and Mardi Gras Massacre aside non of their releases have actually been very exciting, interesting possibly, but not wow exciting.

When you read Bill saying things won't be re-released i just think, fine, no-one wanted them in the first place obviously.

That sounds harsher than what i really mean, but you get the drift of it.
Old 19th November 2011, 02:54 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
Night of the Demon and Mardi Gras Massacre aside non of their releases have actually been very exciting, interesting possibly, but not wow exciting.

When you read Bill saying things won't be re-released i just think, fine, no-one wanted them in the first place obviously.

That sounds harsher than what i really mean, but you get the drift of it.
True, but then i've given some of their more obscure releases a go and on occasion i've been plesently surprised. For every turkey like night of the dribbler or haunted they put out a genuinely fun film like messiah of evil or rituals. Hell, I would have NEVER got round to watching choke canyon but when i bought their release I stuck it on and enjoyed the film a lot.
mark meakin and bdc like this.
Old 19th November 2011, 03:00 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
True, but then i've given some of their more obscure releases a go and on occasion i've been plesently surprised. For every turkey like night of the dribbler or haunted they put out a genuinely fun film like messiah of evil or rituals. Hell, I would have NEVER got round to watching choke canyon but when i bought their release I stuck it on and enjoyed the film a lot.
Messiah and Rituals were "popular" cult films previously though, if not popular then certainly films with a cult following. The same can't be said of the double bills they churn out endlessly.
Old 19th November 2011, 04:31 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Messiah and Rituals were "popular" cult films previously though, if not popular then certainly films with a cult following. The same can't be said of the double bills they churn out endlessly.
I do think its crazy re-issuing circus of terror as barn of the naked dead. But theres quite a few of the double bills i've not checked out yet.
Old 19th November 2011, 05:07 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

First of all,the recent double bills are cheaper priced and you get 2 films on a dvd9 not some compressed budget disc.
Some even have extras.

The recent reissues were titles that were originally released under the Shriek Show/Media Blasters banner and not CR.
CR is just recouping these titles.

The prices CR charges for their product are reasonable imho,most of the profit goes to the shops btw,not CR.
They also refused to go down the dvd-r route,respect for that.

And last but not least they may release obscure stuff that may not be exciting to some (Dem! ),but almost every film they released had a fan base.
For example there's been a lot of excitement about the upcoming release of The Babysitter.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 19th November 2011, 05:08 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdc View Post
First of all,the recent double bills are cheaper priced and you get 2 films on a dvd9 not some compressed budget disc.
Some even have extras.

The recent reissues were titles that were originally released under the Shriek Show/Media Blasters banner and not CR.

The prices CR charges for their product are reasonable imho,most of the profit goes to the shops btw,not CR.

And last but not least they may release obscure stuff that may not be exciting to some (Dem! ),but almost every film they released had a fan base.
For example there's been a lot of excitement about the upcoming release of The Babysitter.
Bill speaks...
bdc, Pete and Demdike@Cult Labs like this.
Old 19th November 2011, 07:06 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdc View Post
Some even have extras.

So why the poor sales then?
Old 19th November 2011, 07:17 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Because those fan bases are small,not like the ones of for example The Terminator!
Old 19th November 2011, 10:12 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

So why does Bill complain about poor sales, he should expect it.?

I'm not being argumentative for the sake of it really, but he says some daft things if your messages are correct, which i do not doubt that they are.

The businessworld of dvd really intrigues me. I would love to know how many copies Shameless / Arrow sell of films. Magazine sales figures interest me as well.

Old 19th November 2011, 10:26 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
So why does Bill complain about poor sales, he should expect it.?

It's because the Internet is the world's largest false economy. Maybe he actually believes all the people who write 'I'd really love a release of... ' or for those who will, maybe he extrapolates into world population..

X forum has 3000 members. 100 members say they'll buy it = 0.03%

0.03% of 7 billion = 21 million sales!

Quids in!
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!