Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree26055Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th March 2018, 02:13 PM
Cult Master

"NEW UK/US/CA TITLE: Vigil (Blu-ray)

Vincent Ward – once described as “the Antipodean Werner Herzog” – made his feature debut with Vigil

Release date: 11/12 June

Vincent Ward – once described as “the Antipodean Werner Herzog” – made his feature debut with Vigil, heralding his status as one of New Zealand’s most distinctive filmmaking talents and paving the way for such equally remarkable and unclassifiable efforts as The Navigator: A Medieval Odyssey and Map of the Human Heart.

A stranger appears in a remote New Zealand farmland at the exact time a farmer accidentally falls to his death. The mysterious outsider grows close to some of the dead man’s family, to the point where he and the widow become lovers. But her eleven-year-old daughter, Toss, struggling to come to terms with the death of her father as well as her impending womanhood, believes the intruder to be the devil and sets about protecting her family and their homestead.

Propelled by Fiona Kay’s outstanding performance by as Toss, she would earn a standing ovation when Vigil screened at the 1984 Cannes Film Festival – the first time ever that a New Zealand feature played in the main competition.

SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS
• High Definition (Blu-ray) presentation
• Original mono audio (uncompressed LPCM)
• Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
• Brand-new appreciation by film critic Nick Roddick, recorded exclusively for this release
• On-set report from the long-running New Zealand television programme Country Calendar
• Extract from a 1987 Kaleidoscope television documentary on New Zealand cinema, focusing on Vigil and Vincent Ward
• Theatrical trailer

FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Illustrated collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film by critic Carmen Gray"

g053584398 and keirarts like this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 29th March 2018, 02:16 PM
Cult Master

"NEW UK/US/CA TITLE: The Complete Sartana Limited Edition (Blu-ray)

The Complete Sartana collects all five films, presented here in brand-new restorations

Release date: 25/26 June

Clint Eastwood’s Man with No Name spawned imitations, variations and shameless rip-offs keen to emulate his success at the box office. Within months of A Fistful of Dollars’ release, Giuliano Gemma was playing Ringo, who was then followed by Franco Nero’s Django, Tony Anthony’s The Stranger and Gianni Garko’s Sartana – each providing their own twist on the Eastwood antihero, and each of them then subject to their own spate of unofficial sequels, spoofs and cash-ins.

Sartana tapped into more than just his Spaghetti Western predecessors – a mysterious figure, he has a spectral quality, aided by his Count Dracula-alike cloak which also nods towards comic strip figure Mandrake the Magician, with whom he shares he shares a penchant for card tricks. He takes pride in his appearance unlike the Eastwood’s dusty wanderer or Nero’s mud-caked drifter. And there’s a dose of James Bond too in his fondness for gadgetry and the droll sense of humour.

Unsurprisingly, this unique figure in the genre was treated to four official follow-ups. The Complete Sartana collects all five films, presented here in brand-new restorations: If You Meet Sartana... Pray for Your Death, I Am Sartana, Your Angel of Death, Have a Good Funeral My Friend... Sartana Will Pay, Light the Fuse... Sartana Is Coming, and Sartana's Here... Trade Your Pistol for a Coffin, in which George Hilton replaced Garko in the lead role.

LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS
• Limited Edition Blu-ray collection of all five official Sartana films (2500 copies)
• Brand-new 2K restoration of If You Meet Sartana... Pray for Your Death from original film materials, carried out by Arrow Films exclusively for this release
• Brand-new 2K restorations of I Am Sartana, Your Angel of Death, Have a Good Funeral My Friend... Sartana Will Pay, Light the Fuse... Sartana Is Coming, and Sartana's Here... Trade Your Pistol for a Coffin from original camera negatives, carried out by Arrow Films exclusively for this release
• Original Italian and English soundtracks on all five films
• Uncompressed mono 1.0 PCM audio
• Newly translated English subtitles for the Italian soundtrack
• Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing for the English soundtrack
• Audio commentary on If You Meet Sartana... Pray for Your Death by filmmaker Mike Siegel
• Audio commentaries on I Am Sartana, Your Angel of Death and Have a Good Funeral My Friend... Sartana Will Pay by Spaghetti Western experts C. Courtney Joyner and Henry Parke
• Gianfranco Parolini on If You Meet Sartana… Pray for Your Death, a brand-new interview with the writer-director
• Fabbio Piccioni on If You Meet Sartana… Pray for Your Death, a brand-new interview with the writer • Sal Borgese on I Am Sartana, Your Angel of Death and Light the Fuse… Sartana Is Coming, two brand-new interviews with the actor
• Ernesto Gastaldi on I Am Sartana, Your Angel of Death and Light the Fuse… Sartana Is Coming, two brand-new interviews with the writer
• Roberto Dell’Acqua on Have a Good Funeral My Friend... Sartana Will Pay, a brand-new interview with the actor
• Sartana Lives, an archive featurette on Light the Fuse… Sartana Is Coming featuring interviews with actor Gianni Garko and director Giuliano Carnimeo • Sartana Shoots First, a brand-new interview with George Hilton on Sartana's Here... Trade Your Pistol for a Coffin
• Erika Blanc on Sartana's Here... Trade Your Pistol for a Coffin, a brand-new interview with the actor
• Tony Askin on Sartana's Here... Trade Your Pistol for a Coffin, a brand-new interview with the actor
• Brand-new video essay on the major actors and supporting players in the official Sartana films
• Galleries of original promotional images from the Mike Siegal Archive for all five films
• Limited edition packaging with reversible sleeves featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Matthew Griffin
• Illustrated collector's booklet featuring new writing on the films by Roberto Curti and an extensive Spaghetti Western timeline by Howard Hughes"

Old 29th March 2018, 02:18 PM
Cult Master

"NEW UK/US/CA TITLE: The Addiction (Blu-ray)

Amid the fangs and crucifixes, Abel Ferrara reunited with his King of New York star Christopher Walken for The Addiction, a distinctly personal take on creatures of the night.

Release date: 25/26 June

The mid-nineties were a fertile period for the vampire movie. Big-name stars such as Tom Cruise and Eddie Murphy flocked to genre, as did high-calibre filmmakers like Francis Ford Coppola, veterans Wes Craven and John Landis, independents Michael Almereyda and Jeffrey Arsenault, and up-and-comers Quentin Tarantino and Guillermo del Toro. Amid the fangs and crucifixes, Abel Ferrara reunited with his King of New York star Christopher Walken for The Addiction, a distinctly personal take on creatures of the night.

Philosophy student Kathleen (Lili Taylor, The Conjuring) is dragged into an alleyway on her way home from class by Casanova (Annabella Sciorra, The Hand That Rocks the Cradle) and bitten on the neck. She quickly falls ill but realises this isn’t any ordinary disease when she develops an aversion to daylight and a thirst for human blood…

Having made a big-budget foray into science fiction two years earlier with Body Snatchers, Ferrara’s approach to the vampire movie is in a lower key. Shot on the streets of New York, like so many of his major works – including The Driller Killer, Ms. 45 and Bad Lieutenant - and beautifully filmed in black and white, The Addiction sees the filmmaker on his own terms and at his very best: raw, shocking, intense, intelligent, masterful.

DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS
• New restoration from a 4K scan of the original camera negative by Arrow Films, approved by director Abel Ferrara and director of photography Ken Kelsch
• High Definition (1080p) Blu-ray presentation
• Restored 5.1 audio
• Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
• Audio commentary by Abel Ferrara, moderated by critic and biographer Brad Stevens
• Talking with the Vampires (2018) A new documentary about the film made by Ferrara especially for this release, featuring actors Christopher Walken and Lili Taylor, composer Joe Delia, Ken Kelsch, and Ferrara himself
• New interview with Abel Ferrara
• New interview with Brad Stevens
• Abel Ferrara Edits The Addiction, an archival piece from the time of production
• Original trailer
• Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Peter Strain

FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Illustrated collector’s booklet containing new writing on the film by critic Michael Ewins"

Old 29th March 2018, 03:45 PM
Cult Addict

Sartana is essential for me. The addiction as well. I've got a German release of quiet earth so no hurry on that.
Old 29th March 2018, 03:55 PM
Cult Acolyte

Another pretty underwhelming month although spaghetti western fans should be more than happy. i'll pick up The Quiet Earth and The Addiction, so certainly not a washout
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 29th March 2018, 07:15 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

The Addiction is a must for me so excited for that.
Old 30th March 2018, 07:16 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Fingers, toes, and penis crossed for The Addiction...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
B_E will be happy then
The 'triple-cross' never fails!
Old 30th March 2018, 07:33 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Honest opinion? Worst set of announcements yet, maybe the well is dry?
Perhaps just save up some money & buy a big title & special edition it up instead of doing monthly releases?

I know the Addiction has its fans but the rest are just so obscure that it must be a risk to put them out, hoping they'll sell.
Old 30th March 2018, 08:48 PM
Cult Addict

I fancy all of them, but they'd be blind buys and at the moment I'm really struggling to afford stuff I really want never mind curios.
Old 1st April 2018, 04:48 PM
Cult Master

Arrow's April Fool jape

Like this? Share it using the links below!