Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree26055Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th September 2013, 02:29 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasteropod View Post
That is completely wrong, the French Blu-ray is from a different master and looks completely different to the Arrow.
I said that they were equal all things considered, not taken from the same master. City releases have the same master. When compared the two Tenebrae releases scored equal ON DIFFERENT MERITS. The Arrow is longer than the French. The pic quality looked better on the French. The French had burnt in subs, etc, etc, no release was perfect but depending on your preferences a beat b.
Old 28th September 2013, 02:33 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
I said that they were equal all things considered, not taken from the same master. City releases have the same master. When compared the two Tenebrae releases scored equal ON DIFFERENT MERITS. The Arrow is longer than the French. The pic quality looked better on the French. The French had burnt in subs, etc, etc, no release was perfect but depending on your preferences a beat b.
I prefer watching Tenebrae on YouTube rather than the Arrow Blu-ray, and I'm not even joking. Thankfully we're going to be spoilt for choice soon with the remastered Arrow, and Synapse releases approaching.
Old 28th September 2013, 02:38 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasteropod View Post
I prefer watching Tenebrae on YouTube rather than the Arrow Blu-ray, and I'm not even joking. Thankfully we're going to be spoilt for choice soon with the remastered Arrow, and Synapse releases approaching.
I bet you right now, that when they come out someone will bitch and moan about something....
Old 28th September 2013, 02:49 PM
Cult Addict

I never said the BU or the XT version looks better, don't know where you got that from. I've never seen another HD version of the film.
I also am not in the habit of slating new transfers of these films. Even the ones which are generally considered a bit shonky i am generally happy with. So understand this purely my opinion of one particular release and not blu ray transfers of older films in general.
Why do I find it unwatchable, well I'm afraid I don't understand the technical aspects of HD transfers very well so I can't specifically say what the problem I see is called. It appears to me to be very very heavy thick snow or speckles, hence the net curtain/blizzard/bathroom window reference. Not what I'd consider heavy film grain which while I'm not fond off I accept and completely understand why it's there and how it's intrinsic to the nature of film. This is just incredibly thick speckling. Now I appreciate also this might be the best the film currently looks but it can't be the best it's capable of looking surely? Not when many of Arrows other earlier transfers looked superb.
keirarts and Boo Radley like this.
Old 28th September 2013, 02:52 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

I wear a veil to watch films so everything looks like net curtains to me.
Old 28th September 2013, 02:56 PM
Cult Addict

I even tried watching that COTLD disc sober to see if that was the problem.
Old 28th September 2013, 03:04 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

So now that Tenebrae has been announced as a steelie what other previous Arrows do you think may get the steelbook treatment?

Personally I think Inferno would look good next to Tenebrae.

Such a shame they've not got Dawn of the Dead anymore imagine a steelie with the original UK x rated theatrical poster or a Day of the Dead steelbook complete with the ex rental video cover
Old 28th September 2013, 03:08 PM
Cult Addict

I doubt they'll bother but Maniac Cop would look good as a steelbook with original Uk vhs cover art.
Old 28th September 2013, 03:22 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Black Sunday and a decent print of House by the Cemetery, Arrows last print was bloody awful.....
Old 28th September 2013, 03:32 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
Black Sunday and a decent print of House by the Cemetery, Arrows last print was bloody awful.....
Actually thats not a bad idea. Black Sunday would be nice.
As for House By The Cemetery the current print is good. Unlike City of the Living Dead which is borderline unwatchable.
Boo Radley likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!