Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree26055Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th September 2013, 12:30 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

As I have said a little earlier Blu Ray will show the best and worst of a transfer and it's all down to how this films original elements and transfer was done. The point of HD is getting it to look it's very best but unfortunately some fall well short.
It's usual not a case of how much is system costs but if you see the problems or not, in the case of Tenebrae once you have seen the new transfer there will be no going back.
What I would suggest is getting hold of the old transfer then viewing the new one and see which you prefer.
Boo Radley likes this.
Old 28th September 2013, 12:49 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tele1962 View Post
As I have said a little earlier Blu Ray will show the best and worst of a transfer and it's all down to how this films original elements and transfer was done. The point of HD is getting it to look it's very best but unfortunately some fall well short.
It's usual not a case of how much is system costs but if you see the problems or not, in the case of Tenebrae once you have seen the new transfer there will be no going back.
What I would suggest is getting hold of the old transfer then viewing the new one and see which you prefer.
I'm sure the new Tenebrae will look better than their last effort BUT until this comes out the Arrow version is still at this moment in time equal (according to various blu ray comparison sites.) to the French release. In other words it is the best anyone on the planet has seen it, there is no better release.
Maybe one of you guys have seen a better release and would like to share which one it is........Or shall we just slag it off anyway?
Old 28th September 2013, 12:54 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
I'm sure the new Tenebrae will look better than their last effort BUT until this comes out the Arrow version is still at this moment in time equal (according to various blu ray comparison sites.) to the French release. In other words it is the best anyone on the planet has seen it, there is no better release.
Maybe one of you guys have seen a better release and would like to share which one it is........Or shall we just slag it off anyway?
Sorry, but even if it is the best release out there at the moment, it's still not great, so yes, if people want to say it's bad, then that's their choice.
Old 28th September 2013, 12:58 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
Sorry, but even if it is the best release out there at the moment, it's still not great, so yes, if people want to say it's bad, then that's their choice.
Some people take the piss and say all of Arrow's releases are bad
Old 28th September 2013, 01:01 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bringer Of Funerals View Post
Some people take the piss and say all of Arrow's releases are bad
Yeah but most of the time they've never seen them. Saw someone on Facebook the other day saying all Arrow discs have blown out contrast, including The Last American Virgin, which it doesn't btw.
Boo Radley likes this.
Old 28th September 2013, 01:03 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Of course it is their choice and they are entitled to state such -but to what exactly are they comparing against? They have the best release of a film in the world and proclaim it rubbish because it doesn't come up to their standard of what is an acceptable transfer but they have never seen it look better ever?
Old 28th September 2013, 01:06 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Okay, I just had a look around the web and found this out about CotLD. The BU and Arrow discs are taken from exactly the same hi def master.........exactly the same.
On many forums, like City of the Living Dead – BluRay (Blue Underground vs. Arrow Video) – 10,000 Bullets they actually recommend the Arrow transfer over the BU version. Here you can look at the screenshots from both and if anyone thinks that it is looking like a net curtained bathroom window with a blizzard outside then you are going to have to explain just what you mean as the screen shots prove you're talking out of an orifice other than your mouth...
Perhaps some of you need to look at your equipment and cables before proclaiming something is unwatchable. Now some of you might have 8-12 foot state of the art cinema's that will blow my 6 grand set up (My pride and joy!!) away but the majority of fans won't.
Instead of sitting there desperately looking for some tiny flaw so people can say, "Oh, at one point a line appeared horizontally for 3 seconds at the change of a reel in a 40 year old film. Completely ruined it for me, couldn't watch it anymore, gave me a headache!", why can't we just watch and enjoy the film for what it's meant to be and be happy that we've got the best possible transfer.
Odd idea, I know...
I've had every blu-ray release going of City of the Living Dead which by the way are all taken from the same master.

The Arrow release however has the worst presentation due to the number of visible on screen artifacts, the US release is better but the Austrian steelbook is by far the best of the 3. This comparison was done when I owned all 3 at the same time and played them off one after the other.

I actually sold the other 2 and kept the steelie as after comparing it, the Arrow disc became unwatchable to me, although the extras were still worth having if you are into that sort of thing, personally I'm not.

I actually tested these on a 47" lcd tv and saw a huge difference so I wouldn't like to think how the Arrow release would fair on anything bigger.
Old 28th September 2013, 01:08 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Of course it is their choice and they are entitled to state such -but to what exactly are they comparing against? They have the best release of a film in the world and proclaim it rubbish because it doesn't come up to their standard of what is an acceptable transfer but they have never seen it look better ever?
Ok, blu-ray was touted as presenting films as close as possible to the quality you would've seen on the original film print, the way the director intended, etc. not "it's a lot better than a vhs or dvd". That's the way I, and a lot of people judge a BD transfer, and a lot don't cut the mustard, Tenebrae being one of them.
Old 28th September 2013, 01:17 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Ok, blu-ray was touted as presenting films as close as possible to the quality you would've seen on the original film print, the way the director intended, etc. not "it's a lot better than a vhs or dvd". That's the way I, and a lot of people judge a BD transfer, and a lot don't cut the mustard, Tenebrae being one of them.
You phrased that perfectly.. Totally agree with you in every way. That is exactly how it should be put forward, it falls short of being perfect but is the best out there, not "it's unwatchable" when the screen shots a page or two back for City prove otherwise.
Old 28th September 2013, 01:19 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Okay, I just had a look around the web and found this out about CotLD. The BU and Arrow discs are taken from exactly the same hi def master.........exactly the same.
On many forums, like City of the Living Dead – BluRay (Blue Underground vs. Arrow Video) – 10,000 Bullets they actually recommend the Arrow transfer over the BU version. Here you can look at the screenshots from both and if anyone thinks that it is looking like a net curtained bathroom window with a blizzard outside then you are going to have to explain just what you mean as the screen shots prove you're talking out of an orifice other than your mouth...
Perhaps some of you need to look at your equipment and cables before proclaiming something is unwatchable. Now some of you might have 8-12 foot state of the art cinema's that will blow my 6 grand set up (My pride and joy!!) away but the majority of fans won't.
Instead of sitting there desperately looking for some tiny flaw so people can say, "Oh, at one point a line appeared horizontally for 3 seconds at the change of a reel in a 40 year old film. Completely ruined it for me, couldn't watch it anymore, gave me a headache!", why can't we just watch and enjoy the film for what it's meant to be and be happy that we've got the best possible transfer.
Odd idea, I know...
Okay I was really starting to worry there for a second as you quoted a website that states the Arrow COTLD transfer as being better than the US release and also another website saying that Arrows Tenebrae is as good a transfer as the French disc.

On checking however the COTLD comparison gives the edge to Arrow due to the extras which is a fair point if you want extras, personally I'd rather have the best presentation of the film.

As for Tenebrae, any reviewer that states Arrows release is the exact same quality transfer as the French disc is not a reviewer I would to take too seriously in future.
Boo Radley likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!