All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree26055Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th May 2014, 07:46 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
The unrated version of Videodrome should have no problems. James Ferman when he was in charge said he would have never cut it and any edits made to any version seen in the UK (both r-rated and the even shorter version) were made pre-submission. Ferman may have been an autocratic nightmare in many respects but even he defended Cronenberg's work. I somehow doubt that a director that can garner favourable reviews from both cult genre fans and the sight and sound crowd would have any worries about support if the BBFC did try to censor his work.
CIC panic-cut the film pre-submission for rental - this was not uncommon post nasties and VRA, Thorn/EMI did the same with several titles including Halloween III.

The uncut R-rated version was issued on sell-thru. The unrated version has only been released here once, to my knowledge, and that was the Pioneer LaserDisc which came out the mid 1990s. I had the surprise of my life when I got that home and stuck it on
keirarts likes this.
Old 18th May 2014, 10:21 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul@TheOverlook View Post
CIC panic-cut the film pre-submission for rental - this was not uncommon post nasties and VRA, Thorn/EMI did the same with several titles including Halloween III.

The uncut R-rated version was issued on sell-thru. The unrated version has only been released here once, to my knowledge, and that was the Pioneer LaserDisc which came out the mid 1990s. I had the surprise of my life when I got that home and stuck it on
I know that videodrome has lacked an uncut release on home video in the Uk. But Cronenberg has never had any problems as far as i'm aware with the British censor. I would be surprised if the BBFC had any issue with videodrome at all given the current administration seems far more liberal than Ferman ever was and Ferman was always a staunch defender of Cronenberg's work. For an uncut release of Videodrome on uk home video all it would take is for whoever the uk rights holder is to authorise the release. I've hears Arrow have been trying to get the rights for a while...
Old 18th May 2014, 11:14 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Videodrome was definitely uncut on that UK LaserDisc, not sure if that was an error on the part of the distributor but if there's no record for a widescreen release on the BBFC sure from 1996 or 1997 it was a "happy accident"
Old 18th May 2014, 11:27 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

IF Rabid or/and shivers get Blu Releases you can count me in for either/both. Kill Baby Kill for Bava would be amazing an again a must my dvd copy has a diabolical transfer.

*fingers crossed*
Old 18th May 2014, 12:50 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul@TheOverlook View Post
The unrated version has only been released here once, to my knowledge, and that was the Pioneer LaserDisc which came out the mid 1990s. I had the surprise of my life when I got that home and stuck it on

I'm surprised the words "Director's Cut" on the laserdisc didn't give you a clue, Paul.

Daemonia likes this.
Old 18th May 2014, 07:33 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Ive seen some shit Artwork covers but surely this one is a piss take .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10369032_770919992941997_1465429332575931803_o.jpg (96.2 KB, 19 views)
keirarts likes this.
Old 18th May 2014, 07:37 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
Well it suits the film then.
Old 18th May 2014, 07:40 PM
Active Cultist

Send a message via Skype™ to Invid Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
Yeeesh, points for creativity with the 'magazine quotes' but man that looks like a bad bootleg cover to me. Granted, I tend to use the original artworks on the Blus 90% of the time anyway.

Cold Iron (R.O.T.O.R, 1987)
Old 18th May 2014, 07:53 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Well it suits the film then.
It wasnt such a bad film in its day.
I wouldnt go out my way to buy it but if saw it somewhere for odd £1r 2 then i would pick it up.
trebor8273 likes this.
Old 18th May 2014, 09:20 PM
Seasoned Cultist

If it's 'Videodrome' I'll probably get it - I already have the Criterion DVD, in beta tape packaging, and the German BD mediabook. An Arrow steelbook would be nice.
If it's 'Rabid' or/and 'Shivers' I'll be all over it like a cheap suit!

Like this? Share it using the links below!