Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree26055Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th May 2014, 10:19 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul@TheOverlook View Post
CIC panic-cut the film pre-submission for rental - this was not uncommon post nasties and VRA, Thorn/EMI did the same with several titles including Halloween III.

The uncut R-rated version was issued on sell-thru. The unrated version has only been released here once, to my knowledge, and that was the Pioneer LaserDisc which came out the mid 1990s. I had the surprise of my life when I got that home and stuck it on
Ferman must have been a fan of Cronenberg's work from early on, he passed 'Shivers' and 'Rabid' uncut in the 1970's when much less shocking material was being cut.

Here's hoping they are released on Blu
Old 18th May 2014, 10:43 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallo37 View Post
Ferman must have been a fan of Cronenberg's work from early on, he passed 'Shivers' and 'Rabid' uncut in the 1970's when much less shocking material was being cut.

Here's hoping they are released on Blu
When Crash came out and made Daily mail readers foam with disgust, Ferman was one of the films fiercest supporters. He made a point of never cutting Cronenberg's work as he felt it had artistic merit.
Old 18th May 2014, 11:12 PM
Cult Acolyte

I wonder if even Arrow could find good HD material for Shivers or Rabid, every time I've seen them, from cinema thru to dvd they didn't look too good IMHO*, now if Arrow were to bite the bullet and go for a full-on restoration for 1080p a different story.

*oddly Shivers seemed to fare better than Rabid at the cinema where Rabid had a soft 16mm look to it with weak colour.
Old 19th May 2014, 04:42 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

The Complete Dr. Phibes specs revealed

Release Date: 9 June 2014
Format: Blu-ray
Starring: Vincent Price
Directed by: Robert Fuest

Synopsis: “Nine killed her, nine shall die, nine eternities in doom!”
Horror legend Vincent Price (The Fall of the House of Usher, Theatre of Blood) is Dr. Phibes, former musician, current murderer. Seeking revenge from the medical staff that left his wife for dead, he sets about knocking them off one-by-one in a series of elaborate murders based upon a Ten Plagues of Egypt. Death by bats, by boils, by blood and more await the nurse and surgeons who failed to save the life of the beloved Victoria Regina Phibes!
A camp classic, The Abominable Dr. Phibes sets itself apart from the seventies horror crowd with its knowing humour and art deco sets, and also prefigures the Saw movies with its increasingly fiendish set of murder devices.
Pairing the original film with sequel Dr. Phibes Rises Again, The Complete Dr. Phibes provides viewers with a double diabolical dose of macabre thrills and black comedy.

SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS:
• Limited edition boxed-set (3000 copies) containing both films and 100-page collector’s booklet
• High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation of The Abominable Dr. Phibes and Dr. Phibes Rises Again, transferred from original film elements by MGM
• Original uncompressed 1.0 Mono PCM Audio for both films
• Optional English SDH subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing for both films
• Audio commentary on The Abominable Dr. Phibes by director Robert Fuest
• Audio commentary on The Abominable Dr. Phibes by the creator of Dr. Phibes, William Goldstein
• Audio commentary on Dr. Phibes Rises Again by critic and author Tim Lucas
• Dr. Phibes and the Gentlemen – The League of Gentlemen fondly recall a pair of British horror classics
• Daughter of Phibes – Victoria Price discusses Vincent Price’s career
• The Doctor Will See You Now – an interview with Vincent Price’s biographer, David Del Valle
• Original Trailers for both films
• 100-page collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the films by Julian Upton, Martin Jones, Justin Humphreys and Jonny Trunk, the on-set recollections of Caroline Munro, plus interviews with Tim Burton and AIP publicist Milton Moritz, all illustrated with rare and original archive stills

it's available to pre-order now from the Arrow store for £21.99.
Old 19th May 2014, 06:45 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Still need to get the Phibes set ordered. I'll get it done when I get paid on Friday.
Old 19th May 2014, 07:03 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
Still need to get the Phibes set ordered. I'll get it done when I get paid on Friday.
I'm not sure when I will get a chance to order it – I hope they don't sell out in the next few weeks.
Old 19th May 2014, 08:10 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul@TheOverlook View Post
CIC panic-cut the film pre-submission for rental - this was not uncommon post nasties and VRA, Thorn/EMI did the same with several titles including Halloween III.

The uncut R-rated version was issued on sell-thru. The unrated version has only been released here once, to my knowledge, and that was the Pioneer LaserDisc which came out the mid 1990s. I had the surprise of my life when I got that home and stuck it on
EMI did the same with Children of the Corn and The Dead Zone.

More likely that Ferman was a dirty old kinky bastard and enjoyed films like Rabid and Shivers.....
Daemonia, Rik and Invid Ninja like this.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 19th May 2014, 08:11 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
Didn't take the chance.I ordered it long ago.

The PIT AND THE PENDULUM looks incredible on Blu.

Yeah,roll on the next Arrow announcements.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 19th May 2014, 09:09 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs View Post
The PIT AND THE PENDULUM looks incredible on Blu.
Haven't had chance to check mine out yet, but I've heard nothing but praise for it

FYI This is my 9999th post!
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 20th May 2014, 03:47 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Another Zavvi exclusive Steelbook... this time it's Inferno:

(pre-order not live yet)

Like this? Share it using the links below!