Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree26054Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st June 2017, 09:19 AM
Cult Acolyte

I watched The Bird With The Crystal Plumage last night. Yeah, looks great. I have not watched any extras yet.

BTW..

I still don't understand why Arrow spend time employing artists for new artwork covers when the first thing any of us do is turn the cover around for the original poster art.

Just saying...
Old 21st June 2017, 10:59 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Suspiria is a distinct possibility based on the 4K scan that's being liscenced. Personally I hope it isn't for no other reason than Synapses restoration is looking to be somewhat superior to that one. Essentially it'd be a release that i'd be upgrading not long after purchase or skipping due to owning the synapse one. Since they seem to be doing a lot of inhouse restoration however its possible they would be doing a lot of additional work to improve whats out in europe already so who really knows?

Opera would be a welcome candidate, the European release has room for improvment and it would have the added bonus of Bill olson rotating in anger. Like Suspiria however, since it means it can't be liscenced in America makes it unlikely.

Four flies on grey velvet. Well if shameless no longer have it then possible, non of the releases I've seen so far are ideal. I'm assured my Italian blu-ray is better quality than my Shameless one, but aside from the horrifying audio glitch I struggled to see the difference. No U.S release at least gives it some appeal to Arrow.

Cat o'nine tails. Given the lack of a U.S release, or any decent Euro releases in HD, a new 4K scan and extra bonus materials would seem a strong contender. As above it's underrated, though while I'm sure there are AV experts that can point out any problems the transfer on the previous Arrow release looked ok to me.

Inferno. Do Blue underground still have this? There was a big debate over how the film should look and the BU blu ray looks different than any of the euro releases. Since Lustig worked on the film his opinion holds some weight though the vaunted European release with Camera obscura appears to contadict this and support the Arrow version of the film. Either way a new restoration might be welcome. The U.S rights would be the issue.

Tenebrae. Would they? given Synapse owns the U.S rights and its not long since Arrow re-issued the film with the decent Wildside transfer I doubt it.

Demons 1 & 2. Again U.S rights though new 4k scans would probably suck money from my wallet in spite of the cash I've already blown on these films. Personally I'd say no.

Trauma. Interesting. Not sure but I think I heard this had already been liscenced in the states. Its underrated imo and I'd probably pick it up.

Two evil eyes. Again, does Blue underground still own this? Its something of a mixed bag and I still need to re-watch the film as I feel I should enjoy it more than I do. A little leftfield perhaps.

Stendahl syndrome. Unlikely. Perhaps they would go for it and put out a solid new release but as we know Blue underground definitely have this stateside.

Sleepless. Another leftfield choice but not unwelcome. I know a lot of people dislike it but I thought it was a fairly solid giallo. No U.S release makes it a possibility.

Card player onwards...... HMMMM no thanks
Suspiria would be interesting, from memory the other company in the UK still has it (it pops up on Shameless's front page) and if Arrow licensed it, it would be the Italian restoration I imagine, as I can't imagine Synapse would be on good terms after the Phenomena situation (the standard edition for Phenomenon was recently announced and includes all 3 cuts of the film contrary to the original confirmation of a stripped down release).

Arrow themselves confirmed some point recently that Opera wasn't on the books sadly I hope I can obtain the Code Red some way.

Four Flies is currently temporarily out of stock on the Shameless website, but being a 5-6 year old release now, the license could be going soon.

Cat O Nine Tails was all but confirmed I thought, Kim Newman and Alan Jones confirmed working on a new commentary for it.

Inferno is still on BU's US site, and full RRP on Amazon, but Arrow appear to have a new 20th Century Fox license seeing as Shock Treatment is coming, so it could possibly make a UK appearance under that (Deep Red and Phenomenon were both UK only releases remember)

Tenebrae we can all but cancel out given the Synpase and recent Arrow reissue as you say.

Demons being Lamberto Bava movies would likely not happen but I would happily take a new UK release of both with the full US editions (stripping audio tracks for a budget release is never a good move)

Trauma is Optimum in the UK so that's a no go, they notoriously don't sublicense (poor trapped Carpenter films).

Two Evil Eyes is coming out again from Scoprion in the US, but I could see Arrow giving it another crack on blu ray for the UK, but not as the last of the Argento 4K trio.

Stendahl as you said is BU but I could see Arrow giving it another crack and licensing the BU transfer.

Sleepless is very unlikely given the nature of the previous release going OOP (some kind of rights issue meant that had to very suddenly pull the release and it's copies from sale)

I really enjoyed the Card Player After that though, I doubt even Arrow would dare touch

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga
Old 21st June 2017, 11:18 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boy View Post
I watched The Bird With The Crystal Plumage last night. Yeah, looks great. I have not watched any extras yet.

BTW..

I still don't understand why Arrow spend time employing artists for new artwork covers when the first thing any of us do is turn the cover around for the original poster art.

Just saying...
I always keep my releases on their new covers, more often than not I love them, and I find when you flip the covers around, it bothers me at times that there's issues with the original posters, cropping, shopping etc. Plus they also look kind of gross lined up with original covers compared to colourful new sleeves.

That being said, single film special editions like this and Hills Have Eyes, I always flip the inner case to it's original cover, same with slipcovers.
plasterface and keirarts like this.

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga
Old 21st June 2017, 12:37 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Cat o'nine tails. Given the lack of a U.S release, or any decent Euro releases in HD, a new 4K scan and extra bonus materials would seem a strong contender. As above it's underrated, though while I'm sure there are AV experts that can point out any problems the transfer on the previous Arrow release looked ok to me.
Wouldn't describe myself as an expert but I know what the problem was. The issue with Arrow's prior Cat release (and Blue Underground's as well) is that it suffered from scanner noise which obliterated any fine detail. A 4K mastered blu-ray would be a most welcome upgrade.
Old 21st June 2017, 07:22 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

First glimpse of Arrows 4K restoration of The Thing

IMG_0546.JPG
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 21st June 2017, 07:29 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post

Attachment 191894
Looks like three guys stood against a painted backdrop.
keirarts and Buboven like this.
Old 21st June 2017, 07:40 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post

Attachment 191894
When did they announce this? Hope it gets a the treatment it deserves.
keirarts likes this.
Old 21st June 2017, 07:57 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
When did they announce this? Hope it gets a the treatment it deserves.

Months ago, no release date as yet though.
keirarts likes this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 21st June 2017, 08:13 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger View Post
Suspiria would be interesting, from memory the other company in the UK still has it (it pops up on Shameless's front page) and if Arrow licensed it, it would be the Italian restoration I imagine, as I can't imagine Synapse would be on good terms after the Phenomena situation (the standard edition for Phenomenon was recently announced and includes all 3 cuts of the film contrary to the original confirmation of a stripped down release).

Arrow themselves confirmed some point recently that Opera wasn't on the books sadly I hope I can obtain the Code Red some way.

Four Flies is currently temporarily out of stock on the Shameless website, but being a 5-6 year old release now, the license could be going soon.

Cat O Nine Tails was all but confirmed I thought, Kim Newman and Alan Jones confirmed working on a new commentary for it.

Inferno is still on BU's US site, and full RRP on Amazon, but Arrow appear to have a new 20th Century Fox license seeing as Shock Treatment is coming, so it could possibly make a UK appearance under that (Deep Red and Phenomenon were both UK only releases remember)

Tenebrae we can all but cancel out given the Synpase and recent Arrow reissue as you say.

Demons being Lamberto Bava movies would likely not happen but I would happily take a new UK release of both with the full US editions (stripping audio tracks for a budget release is never a good move)

Trauma is Optimum in the UK so that's a no go, they notoriously don't sublicense (poor trapped Carpenter films).

Two Evil Eyes is coming out again from Scoprion in the US, but I could see Arrow giving it another crack on blu ray for the UK, but not as the last of the Argento 4K trio.

Stendahl as you said is BU but I could see Arrow giving it another crack and licensing the BU transfer.

Sleepless is very unlikely given the nature of the previous release going OOP (some kind of rights issue meant that had to very suddenly pull the release and it's copies from sale)

I really enjoyed the Card Player After that though, I doubt even Arrow would dare touch
Shock Treatment coming?
That's me happy.
keirarts and nosferatu42 like this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 23rd June 2017, 04:30 PM
Cult Master

Arrow Academy

"***EIGHT HOURS DON'T MAKE A DAY FINAL PACK, SPECS + RELEASE UPDATE***

It is time for us to reveal the final packaging and full specs for our EIGHT HOURS DON'T MAKE A DAY release! Unfortunately, due to some additional production work being required, we are having to revise the release date of this set to August 28th. We can only apologise for the delay and really hope you all enjoy the set once it arrives!

-------------------

Rainer Werner Fassbinder had been making feature films for three years – and already amassed a filmography that would satisfy most careers – when he decided to take on a bigger challenge. Teaming up with West German television channel WDR, he conceived of Eight Hours Don’t Make a Day, a series that would extend to five feature-length episodes to be broadcast at monthly intervals.

Centring on the Krüger family, as well as their lovers, in-laws, friends and co-workers, the series takes a sometimes comic, sometimes dramatic look at domestic relationships and labour relationships, with particular focus on skilled worker Jochen (Gottfried John, Berlin Alexanderplatz, Goldeneye) and his new girlfriend, Marion (Hanna Schygulla, The Marriage of Maria Braun).

Reminiscent of working-class soap operas such as Coronation Street and the family-based sitcoms of Carla Lane, Eight Hours Don’t Make a Day has been one of the more difficult to find entries of Fassbinder’s extraordinarily prolific output, but is now presented here in full and newly restored by the Rainer Werner Fassbinder Foundation.

Limited Edition Contents:
• Brand new restoration of all 5 episodes by the Rainer Werner Fassbinder Foundation
• High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentations
• Original German mono soundtracks
• Optional English subtitles
• Fassbinder, a feature-length 2015 documentary on the director featuring interviews with Margit Carstensen, Irm Hermann, Hanna Schygulla, Volker Schlöndorff and others
• Eight Hours Don’t Make a Day: A Family Series Becomes a Family Occasion, a brand-new retrospective featurette featuring interviews with Schygulla, Hermann, Wolfgang Schenck, Hans Hirschmüller and others, and directed by Juliane Lorenz, head of the Fassbinder Foundation
• An appreciation by critic Tony Rayns, recorded exclusively for this release
• 60-page book featuring new writing on the film by David Jenkins and a new interview with Juliane Lorenz, plus archival essays by Manuel Alvarado and Christian Braad Thomsen"

keirarts likes this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty

Like this? Share it using the links below!