Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree1201Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd February 2022, 06:25 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Just looked on Amazon. It's a Blu-ray but in standard def. Why not simply release it on dvd instead?

Must be so they can charge seventeen quid for it rather than the standard tenner for a dvd.
I think it's because they are also including 'The Lake' by the same Director. I already have it on Short Sharp Shocks but I guess this is a second option for those that don't have that title.

But I think your motive also rings true...
Old 3rd February 2022, 06:27 PM
Cult Acolyte

Also announced was 1984 starring Peter Cushing.
Old 3rd February 2022, 08:49 PM
Cult Master

Full details

'The Appointment' (1980) - Blu-Ray pre-order available from BFI direct - £14:99

Release date: June 27

"An evil and enigmatic entity throws a family into turmoil in Lindsey C. Vickers' much sought-after cult horror.

Unable to attend his daughter’s violin recital, suburban father Ian – played by Edward Woodward (The Wicker Man) – is haunted by a series of prophetic nightmares that seem to foresee a looming tragedy. Are dark forces gathering to be unleashed upon him?

An unsettling journey into the world of the supernatural guaranteed to give you sleepless nights, The Appointment is this latest addition to the popular BFI Flipside collection. It is with the director’s blessing (and extensive involvement) that the BFI have decided to make this much requested title available, using the best materials as yet discovered.

BFI Flipside is dedicated to rediscovering the margins of British film, reclaiming a space for forgotten movies and filmmakers who would otherwise be in danger of disappearing from our screens forever. It is a home for UK cinematic oddities, offering everything from exploitation documentaries to B-movies, countercultural curios and obscure classics, If it's weird, British and forgotten, then it's Flipside."

Special features:
  • Standard Definition (presented on Blu-ray)
  • Newly recorded audio commentary on The Appointment by director Lindsey C. Vickers
  • Introduction to the film by the director
  • Interview with Lindsey C. Vickers (2021)
  • Interview with Jane Merrow (2022): the actress recalls her experience of making The Appointment
  • The Lake (Lindsey C. Vickers, 1978, 33 mins): a romantic picnic for young lovers Tony and Barbara is threatened by echoes of the horrific violence that happened nearby in this hauntingly effective ghost story
  • Newly recorded audio commentary on The Lake by Lindsey C. Vickers
  • Extensive galleries featuring rare stills and production materials kindly donated by the director
  • Illustrated booklet featuring new writing on the film
  • Newly commissioned sleeve art by Matt Needle

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 3rd February 2022, 08:54 PM
Cult Master

'Alan Clarke at the BBC' (1969 - 1989) - 12 disc Blu-Ray pre-order available from BFI direct - £59:99

Release date: June 13

"Although probably best remembered for the controversial and groundbreaking dramas Scum, Made in Britain and The Firm, the breadth of Alan Clarke’s radical, political, innovative, inspirational work, along with his influence on generations of filmmakers, such as Gus Van Sant, Paul Greengrass, Andrea Arnold, Harmony Korine, Clio Barnard, Shane Meadows, should see him rightly regarded as one of Britain’s greatest ever filmmaking talents.

This collection brings together twenty-two stand-alone BBC TV dramas that Alan Clarke directed between 1969 and 1989, including such neglected classics as To Encourage the Others, Horace, Penda’s Fen, Diane, Contact, Christine and Elephant, and also includes Scum and Clarke’s original Director’s Cut of The Firm, assembled from his personal answer print, discovered in 2015.

This 12-Disc Box Set also includes a raft of additional materials, including David Leland introductions, extracts from BBC discussion shows Open Air and Tonight, and recently-produced documentaries and audio commentaries"

Films:
  • The Last Train through Harecastle Tunnel (1969)
  • Sovereign’s Company (1970)
  • The Hallelujah Handshake (1970)
  • To Encourage the Others (1972)
  • Under the Age (1972)
  • Horace (1972),
  • The Love Girl and the Innocent (1973)
  • Penda’s Fen (1974)
  • A Follower for Emily (1974)
  • Diane (1975)
  • Funny Farm (1975)
  • Scum (1977)
  • Nina (1978)
  • Danton’s Death (1978)
  • Beloved Enemy (1981)
  • Psy-Warriors (1981)
  • Baal (1982)
  • Stars of the Roller State Disco (1984)
  • Contact (1985)
  • Christine (1987)
  • The Firm: Director’s Cut (1989)
  • The Firm: Broadcast Version (1989)
  • Elephant (1989)

NOTE - This 2022 reissue does not feature Road (1987) or the collection of Half Hour Stories (1967-68) that were included in the 2016 limited edition box set

Special features:
  • Alan Clarke: Out of His Own Light (2016, 270 mins)
  • Three short introductions by David Leland (1991)
  • Eight audio commentaries (Diane, Scum, Bukovsky, Contact, Christine, Elephant, The Firm (x2))
  • Bukovsky (Alan Clarke, 1977, 50 mins) + outtakes
  • Archival BBC discussion programmes (77 mins total)
  • Interview with A F N Clarke (2016, 22 mins): interview with the writer of Contact
  • Alan Clarke interview (1989, 10 mins)
  • Stills galleries

Justin101 and Demoncrat like this.

Old 3rd February 2022, 08:58 PM
Cult Master

'Lawrence of Belgravia' (2011) - Blu-Ray pre-order available from BFI direct - £14:99

Release date: June 13

""An intimate documentary portrait of England's greatest lost musical genius" - Will Hodgkinson, The Guardian

"Arguably the greatest pop star Britain never had." - Alexia Petridis, The Guardian

As lead singer of the much-loved bands Felt, Denim and Go-Kart Mozart, Lawrence is one of true cult artists of the British indie music scene, without really ever troubling the charts over his 40 year career. First released in 2012, Paul Kelly’s (Saint Etienne’s The London Trilogy, Dexys’ Nowhere is Home) intimate portrait was a labour of love which was eight years in the making. It follows Lawrence between Go Kart Mozart albums, weighed down by the chips on his shoulders while still dreaming of being a pop star who rides in limousines and dates supermodels.

Previously only available on a long-deleted DVD, this new BFI edition presents Lawrence of Belgravia – one of the most outstanding music documentaries of the last 10 years – on Blu-ray for the very first time."

Demoncrat likes this.

Old 3rd February 2022, 09:03 PM
Cult Master

'Targets' (1968) - Blu-Ray pre-order available from BFI direct - £17:99

Release date: June 20

"Peter Bogdanovich’s landmark crime drama on Blu-ray for the very first time"

Special features:
TBC

Old 3rd February 2022, 09:34 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob4 View Post
I think it's because they are also including 'The Lake' by the same Director. I already have it on Short Sharp Shocks but I guess this is a second option for those that don't have that title.

But I think your motive also rings true...
I'd never noticed The Lake. That's cool. It was the only decent thing on Short Sharp Shocks so it will be nice to have that back in the collection. I sold SSS straight after watching.
Old 4th February 2022, 12:54 PM
Cult Acolyte

61262832-6F8A-438F-9996-64AF60A2DADA.jpeg

This book has reviews of a number of the films released on the Flipside label ( and possible future releases? ) as well as many other cult UK films.
The Appointment is one of those reviewed here, which is how I came to know about it.
Interestingly, including this upcoming release, five out of the last six Flipsides have been horror related. I hope that means they’re selling well and we can look forward to more of the same.
Old 4th February 2022, 05:01 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I'd never noticed The Lake. That's cool. It was the only decent thing on Short Sharp Shocks so it will be nice to have that back in the collection. I sold SSS straight after watching.
As did I so this is a deffo.

I also got shot of SSS 2 after viewing it.

Anyway,it'll still look better than it's ever looked before,even on Betamax....
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 4th February 2022, 06:12 PM
Cult Acolyte

Hope Targets is a restoration and not just a port of the old DVD transfer.
nosferatu42 likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!