Like Tree1201Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th April 2024, 07:29 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
You know I love Wil Wheaton haha I have no plans to watch The Curse at the moment though
He says, reaching for his ST:TNG Blu-ray box set.
Nuno_Miranda likes this.
Old 10th April 2024, 07:36 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
He says, reaching for his ST:TNG Blu-ray box set.
I did get that out a few weeks ago, but I've decided on Voyager instead I watched Caretaker part 1 & 2 last night actually

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 10th April 2024, 07:41 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I did get that out a few weeks ago, but I've decided on Voyager instead I watched Caretaker part 1 & 2 last night actually
I've had the Voyager box set years. I was so impressed by how good DS9 was from the previous December sale I bought it and the Xena one from Zavvi from the next one. I've watched one series of Xena out of the two box sets. That's it.
Justin101 likes this.
Old 10th April 2024, 10:01 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Die, Monster Die! (Blu-ray)
Preorder on Amazon

Attachment 250608
I'm quite surprised this is coming from the BFI but sort of fits being a British AIP production. They must be licensing it from MGM.

I have the American release (Shout? or was it Kino?). I'll have to check the specs to see if it's worth the upgrade.

Not the best AIP but a decent enough run out for Boris Karloff.
Justin101 likes this.
Old 11th April 2024, 10:59 AM
Cult Acolyte

DIE, MONSTER, DIE! was one of the very first horror films I saw on tv as a kid and it scared the crap out of me!
I think I may have bought the US dvd of it ages ago, but either way, I haven?t seen it for years. I?ll definitely get this.
Justin101 and Rob4 like this.
Old 11th April 2024, 05:05 PM
Cult Master

'The Music Lovers' (1971) - Blu-ray pre-order available from BFI direct - UK$16:99

Release date: June 17

"Guided throughout by the swells and dips of Tchaikovsky?s music, Ken Russell?s The Music Lovers examines the tragedies of Tchaikovsky?s life through opulent and fantastic musical sequences running alongside a narrative of the composer?s life between 1875 and 1881. Touching on his disastrous marriage with Antonina Miliukova, his relationship with his patroness Nadezhda von Meck, and his repressed homosexuality, The Music Lovers is anchored by magnetic central performances from Glenda Jackson following her Academy Award for Women in Love, coupled with Richard Chamberlain as a neurotic Tchaikovsky.

Forming part of Ken Russell?s collection of experimental composer biopics, The Music Lovers features plenty of his signature provocation and excess, but ultimately takes a sympathetic lens to Tchaikovsky?s life in a repressive Russian society.
"

Special features:
  • Presented in High Definition
  • Newly recorded audio commentary by film historian Matthew Melia
  • Interview with Alexander Verney-Elliott (2024): Ken Russell's son looks back upon his father's work, and remembers his own appearance in The Music Lovers
  • Charlotte Bronte Enters the Big Brother House (2007, 16 mins): Ken Russell staged, directed and filmed this 'Radical Bronte' ballet for young people, illustrating Jane Eyre
  • The Guardian Interview: Melvyn Bragg (1988, c76mins): Ten years after the inception of The Southbank Show, Melvyn Bragg discusses his career in television and film writer Ronald Harwood, at the National Film Theatre in London.
  • Galina Ulanova in "Swan Lake" (1940, 6 mins): one of the greatest ballerinas of all time is seen performing a dance from Swan Lake. As this rare footage is silent, for best results, watch it as you listen to your favourite recording of the Adagio from Act 2
  • USSR Today: Edited highlights from three editions of the Soviet newsreel, gathering items about Tchaikovsky and Russian musical arts.
  • Original trailer
  • **FIRST PRESSING ONLY** Illustrated booklet with new writing on the film by Matthew Melia, a new essay by Caroline Langhorst and contributions from Alexander Verney-Elliott and Lisi Russell

Justin101 and Graveyard like this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 11th April 2024, 05:08 PM
Cult Master

'Remembrance' (1982) - Blu-ray pre-order available from BFI direct - UK$16:99

Release date: July 15

"BFI Flipside presents... Remembrance, a rarely seen British film that follows a group of young Royal Navy sailors during their last 24 hours ashore before their ship sets sail on a six-month naval exercise.

Set around the pubs and clubs of the then-notorious Union Street in 1980s Plymouth, Colin Gregg's direction and Hugh Stoddart's script skilfully cuts between the interweaving stories of several characters as they prepare for the coming months at sea. The ensemble cast includes early performances from the likes of Timothy Spall, John Altman and Gary Oldman (in his big-screen debut).

One of the first films produced by Channel Four, where it was broadcast after a short theatrical run in the summer of 1982, Remembrance?s initial release was given added poignancy and relevance by the outbreak of the Falklands War a few months earlier. Rarely screened since, this new 2024 restoration by the BFI marks the first time this important British film has been available on Blu-ray.
"

Special features:
  • Newly remastered from original camera materials and presented in High Definition
  • Interview with director Colin Gregg (2024): newly recorded interview with director and producer of Remembrance
  • Interview with screenwriter Hugh Stoddart (2024): newly recorded interview with the screenwriter of Remembrance
  • Raleigh: The First Few Weeks (1986, 19 mins): following the daily lives of new naval ratings, from their arrival at training establishment HMS Raleigh, beginning the first phase of their training and onwards to the day of their passing out parade
  • Royal Navy Amazon (1980, 1 min): this made for TV advert was produced to bolster the recruitment of ordinary naval ratings, because ?everybody?s somebody in the Royal Navy?
  • **FIRST PRESSING ONLY** Booklet featuring a new essay by screenwriter Hugh Stoddart, new writing on the film by Johnny Mains, an essay by the BFI?s Josephine Botting and full film credits
  • Other extras TBC

Justin101 likes this.

Old 11th April 2024, 05:11 PM
Cult Master

'Heavenly Pursuits' (1986) - Blu-ray pre-order available from BFI direct - UK$16:99

Release date: June 17

"Tom Conti and Helen Mirren star in Scottish writer/director Charles Gormley?s (Long Shot) charming and quirky comic drama.

Vic Mathews (Conti) and Ruth Chancellor (Mirren) are teachers at Glasgow?s Blessed Edith Semple School. When the school authorities decide to pursue full canonization of their namesake, little miracles begin to occur and Vic has to reassess his beliefs.

Featuring top drawer performances from Conti and Mirren, Heavenly Pursuits also contains Ewen Bremner?s first ever screen appearance and a score by Scottish pop star turned composer BA Robertson. This slice of 1980s Scottish cinema is sure to appeal to fans of Bill Forsyth?s Gregory?s Girl and Local Hero.
"

Special features:
  • Presented in High Definition
  • Interview with Tom Conti (2024): the actor looks back upon the making of Heavenly Pursuits in this interview recorded especially for this release
  • Helen Mirren in Conversation (2019): the Oscar-winning actress is interviewed by Kirsty Lang on stage at BFI Southbank as part of the BFI and Radio Times Festival 2019
  • The Mirocle (1976, 13 mins): a man attempts to escape from the prison of egotism by adopting various self-projections, but all fail until a mirror appears, inviting him to look within himself. This experimental, neo-surrealist animated film is influenced by the work of Paul Klee
  • The Science of Miracles (1897-1943, 19 mins): feast your eyes on some startling scientific marvels - and wonder upon the peculiar power of X-ray photography - as you study these rare films from the vaults of the BFI National Archive
  • Original trailer
  • **FIRST PRESSING ONLY** booklet with new writing on the film and full film credits

Justin101 likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!