Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree1966Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th September 2023, 04:08 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

I've never seen The Iron Giant either, I think the ship has sailed, unless you have that nostalgia from 20 odd years ago it'll just be some kids film.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 7th September 2023, 05:27 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
You really should watch it – it's a brilliant film.

I'll happily lend you the DVD or Blu-ray if you want (I have it on both formats).
Thank you for the offer, very kind of you. I've plenty to watch though so i can wait. I'm sure come across it at some point.
Old 7th September 2023, 05:42 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Black Hole. 1979.

A lost spaceship is found tethering on the edge of a black hole that's commanded by a mysterious doctor.

I have only seen bits of this film and finally sat down to watch it fully. It has a great star cast of Anthony Perkins, Maximilian Schell, Ernest Borgnine, Robert Forester, and a robot voiced by Roddy McDowell but the acting seems a bit wooden or is the dialogue a bit over the place?? Either way this was definitely enjoyable even though it was made by Disney, they certainly went in with some good intentions and trying to create something close to Star Wars family friendly movie. Something that i missed back in the day and will rewatch again.

MV5BOGEzN2M5YTItZDRkZS00OWMxLTk3MTktZjZkNzExYWRjYjA5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjI4MjA5MzA@._V1_.jpg
Old 7th September 2023, 05:47 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
The Black Hole. 1979.

A lost spaceship is found tethering on the edge of a black hole that's commanded by a mysterious doctor.

I have only seen bits of this film and finally sat down to watch it fully. It has a great star cast of Anthony Perkins, Maximilian Schell, Ernest Borgnine, Robert Forester, and a robot voiced by Roddy McDowell but the acting seems a bit wooden or is the dialogue a bit over the place?? Either way this was definitely enjoyable even though it was made by Disney, they certainly went in with some good intentions and trying to create something close to Star Wars family friendly movie. Something that i missed back in the day and will rewatch again.

Attachment 247819
Haha! Family friendly!! Didn't it dawn on you that The Black Hole is probably the bleakest film Disney ever put their name to?

Everybody dies.

I love it. It's a great pity the barstewards will never put it out on Blu-ray
Old 7th September 2023, 05:52 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Haha! Family friendly!! Didn't it dawn on you that The Black Hole is probably the bleakest film Disney ever put their name to?

Everybody dies.

I love it. It's a great pity the barstewards will never put it out on Blu-ray
Yeah thats my sadistic side coming out
Old 7th September 2023, 09:17 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Terminator. 1984.

James Cameron writes and directs this film with his then wife Gale Anne Hurd who also produced this film and they both does that brilliantly. The script with the story provides a perfect action entertainment trough whole film. Brad Fiedel does a wonderful music theme for The Terminator character and action sequences, especially innthe police station shoot out, car chases and does a drama.

Arnold Schwarzenegger is terrifying as the 'killer cyborg' who 'looks like Death rendered in steel. Schwarzenegger moves with inhuman speed bounding like a panther, scanning methodically with dominated blue eyes his surroundings, and in a perfect simulation of voice, he is on the track of his victim... He examines his weapons with precise movements, drives expressionlessly, and kills without pity, or remorse, or fear.

Michael Biehn seems scared by traumas of others wars. His face outlines a long burn scar. He tries to stop Schwarzenegger's attempts to be carried out... He is sinister in his long coat. His whole life has been combat. Linda Hamilton is quiet convincing as the strong innocent prey, targeted for termination, momentarily disoriented, vaguely disturbed. She feels a blind panic boiling up within her, a lightning blot of terror greater than she could ever imagine. A great classic Science-Fiction action movie.

the-terminator.jpg
Old 8th September 2023, 07:51 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Village Of The Damned. 1960.

Directed by Wolf Rilla and is a fairly faithful adaptation of the novel The Midwich Cuckoos by John Wyndham. It stars George Sanders, Barbara Shelley, Martin Stephens & Michael Gwynn.

The film in truth is too short to fully do justice to Wyndham's frightening novel, while other issues such as the barely believable coupling of Sanders and Shelley ensures the film has a lot of creakiness within. But it's still a potent bit of sci-fi horror that, come the latter stages, cranks up the creep factor as the children are born and the piece becomes a conventional monster movie.

It's here where Rilla does a terrific job of building the dread. Armed with a small budget of under $300 thousand,the stop frame effects work is surprisingly effective, as are the child actors. Led by the impressive Martin Stephens. A nice 60s chiller film.

MV5BMGE5MzM4NDItZTgwNy00MDBjLWI2ODQtNzVjMzBhMjVhMjkyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjI4MjA5MzA@._V1_.jpg
Old 8th September 2023, 09:30 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Star Trek: First Contact (1996)

The Borg attempt to conquer Earth by preventing first contact between humans and the alien Vulcans, but their plans are thwarted by the crew of the USS Enterprise who follow them back to the mid-21st century.

First Contact isn't just a terrific Star Trek Film it's a terrific science fiction adventure full stop. Comfortably the best of the Next Generation films, this gives everyone of the regulars something to pivotal to do, be it clearing the Enterprise of the invading Borg or ensuring James Cromwell's Zefram Cochrane gets his historic warp flight into the sky at the same time the Vulcans are in the Earth's space so they'll notice it and investigate.

The special effects are excellent and Jonathan Frakes, who also plays Commander Riker in the film, is brilliantly assured in his direction. A special mention also to Alice Krige who brings a sexy seductiveness in her role as the Borg Queen and her arousing interactions with the captive android Data are a highlight of what is an excellent film.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Star_trek_first_contact_poster.jpg (67.2 KB, 2 views)
Old 9th September 2023, 10:15 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Omega Man (1971)

Charlton Heston plays the square jawed survivor of a worldwide plague and is seemingly the last man on earth except for hordes of light sensitive mutant types led by Anthony Zerbe.

Loosely based on Richard Matheson's classic vampire novel and an even looser remake of the Vincent Price film Last Man on Earth (1964) this ditches most of the horror elements much to the films detriment. Gone are the classic images that depicted Price clearing and burning bodies in huge pits, replaced by Heston finding other untainted survivors and then falling in love with Rosalind Cash,

Zerbe and his light sensitive mutants aren't vampires, they are a religious sect and are seemingly simply out for revenge on Heston who to them represents the knowledge that poisoned humanity in the first place.

Highlights include the first twenty minutes as Heston drives round the deserted city streets searching for the mutants hide out, and those who recall Alan Frank's classic Sci-Fi Now book from the seventies will bare witness to the memorable photo of Heston uncovering skeletal remains in a bed.

A film which is enjoyable and a classic slice of seventies studio sci-fi but pales in the morbidly grim stakes to the earlier film even though Heston, as is the norm for him, dies at the end.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg The-Omega-Man-Poster.jpg (17.7 KB, 2 views)
Old 10th September 2023, 01:31 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The Omega Man (1971)

Heston, as is the norm for him, dies at the end.
... arms outstretched in one of the most blatant Christ/saviour metaphors committed to film. Chuck could never be accused of being subtle

Still love this slice of 70s cheese, though
nosferatu42 likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!