Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Sci-Fi & Fantasy (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=542)
-   -   The Doctor Who Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/sci-fi-fantasy/2137-doctor-who-thread.html)

Mojo 22nd October 2012 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedEyeTheCylon (Post 284421)
Just been reading a thread on the Missing Episodes forum started by a kid who claims that his friend has 24 missing episodes:

www.missing-episodes.com - 24 missing episodes, tiny possibility?

You can smell the bullsh*t from miles away but wouldn't it be funny if it turned out to be true? We'll find out in a weeks time

It does have 'bollocks' written all over it, particularly when he doesn't seem too sure himself which episodes have been 'discovered'. I'd love to be wrong though. I've always hoped the Who team are keeping some new 'lost episodes' discoveries to be unveiled next year on the 50th anniversary :pray:

Demdike@Cult Labs 22nd October 2012 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojo (Post 284892)
It does have 'bollocks' written all over it, particularly when he doesn't seem too sure himself which episodes have been 'discovered'. I'd love to be wrong though. I've always hoped the Who team are keeping some new 'lost episodes' discoveries to be unveiled next year on the 50th anniversary :pray:

I've often wondered about that myself.

Mojo 22nd October 2012 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedEyeTheCylon (Post 284568)
Cover artwork for Shada:
http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/...rWho_Shada.jpg

Hopefully More Than 30 Years will get a separate cover for the Region 2 release

I've never seen Shada ( or what's left of it ) so I'm really looking forward to this one. Anyone else seen it? Is it any good?

Demdike@Cult Labs 22nd October 2012 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojo (Post 284920)
I've never seen Shada ( or what's left of it ) so I'm really looking forward to this one. Anyone else seen it? Is it any good?

Unfortunately not really. The story itself is pretty good, but the parts they filmed were actually pretty dull. Everyone standing about at Cambridge or punting along the Thames.

Mojo 22nd October 2012 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 284928)
Unfortunately not really. The story itself is pretty good, but the parts they filmed were actually pretty dull. Everyone standing about at Cambridge or punting along the Thames.

Aw well - at least it's got Lalla Ward in it :happy:

I never really liked the Graham Williams era to be honest, particularly coming after Philip Hinchcliffe made the show unmissable.

Mojo 22nd October 2012 07:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
By the way, fans of classic Who really need to get their mitts on these series of books. Intelligently written, incredibly well researched, witty and informative, I cannot recommend them highly enough:

Attachment 87646

Nemesis 22nd October 2012 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 283324)
Been reading about the special edition of this.

They say the picture is far superior to the older dvd. Like you, its a favourite of mine so i may have to buy it again, when its come down in price. ;)

Just grabbed this from WH Smith today - well as they making an effort in trying to sell dvds again and the price £15 was comparable to supermarket prices and not HMV prices, I thought they deserved a sale.

Not seen this one before - now to decide between Claws, Ambassadors of Death, and Ark in Space.

Nemesis 22nd October 2012 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojo (Post 283281)
I must admit I'm not really a great fan of the Pertwee Dalek stories, although I do like Day Of The Daleks.

Although Spearhead From Space is top of my list, I love the whole of season 7 - I don't think it's ever been bettered. Outside that, I'd say my favourite Pertwee tales are The Daemons, The Claws Of Axos and The Sea Devils.

Like you, I never really liked the Peladon stories either!

From what I've seen, Season 7 is the best of the Pertwee era. Outside it, I'd go for The Sea Devils, Frontier in Space/Planet of the Daleks, and Three Doctors for sheer enjoyment of the banter between Jon Pertwee and Patrick Troughton, even if brief.

And I agree with Demdike - give me Monster of Peladon over Curse anyday.

Hawkmonger 22nd October 2012 08:46 PM

Curse is prity dull, only improved by some interesting exposition on the Federation and the ever brillient presence of the Ice Warriors. Even when freindly there bad ass!
Monsters great though, a genuin classic.

Nemesis 22nd October 2012 08:53 PM

Curse veers dangerously close to agitprop and I hate that. Only the Ice Warriors, the Doctor's lullaby to Aggedor and Arcturus saved it for me.

I saw the first episode - it took me a year to return and watch the remaining three.