Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Sci-Fi & Fantasy (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=542)
-   -   The Doctor Who Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/sci-fi-fantasy/2137-doctor-who-thread.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 17th October 2012 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojo (Post 283149)
That's an excellent line up, Dem. Really looking forward to all of those.

:dance::woot:

Spearhead will be the only Blu-ray as it was the only one from the original 1963-89 run that was filmed on 16mm film.

Mojo 17th October 2012 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 283154)
Spearhead will be the only Blu-ray as it was the only one from the original 1963-89 run that was filmed on 16mm film.

Incredible to think that a BBC strike caused the story to be filmed this way! It's my favourite ever Who story, so if there is only one Blu-ray I'm glad it's this one!

Demdike@Cult Labs 17th October 2012 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojo (Post 283159)
Incredible to think that a BBC strike caused the story to be filmed this way! It's my favourite ever Who story, so if there is only one Blu-ray I'm glad it's this one!

Your favourite Who story, excellent news for you Mojo. :nod:

What do you make of its sequel?

Hawkmonger 17th October 2012 03:28 PM

That makes it only the second classic story to be released in HD.

Demdike@Cult Labs 17th October 2012 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 283168)
That makes it only the second classic story to be released in HD.

What else has Hawk?

Mojo 17th October 2012 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 283161)
Your favourite Who story, excellent news for you Mojo. :nod:

What do you make of its sequel?

I like it, but I don't think it matches up to Spearhead, although it does have its moments. It also suffers from Barry Letts' obsession with CSO, including the woman whose blurry CSO'd kitchen looks about the size of a small warehouse.

Still one of the better Pertwee's though.

RedEyeTheCylon 17th October 2012 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 283200)
What else has Hawk?

Pyramids of Mars was included as an extra on the Sarah Jane Adventures Series 4 Blu-ray set but it was in standard definition.

Demdike@Cult Labs 17th October 2012 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojo (Post 283202)
I like it, but I don't think it matches up to Spearhead, although it does have its moments. It also suffers from Barry Letts' obsession with CSO, including the woman whose blurry CSO'd kitchen looks about the size of a small warehouse.

Still one of the better Pertwee's though.

For some reason i've never been a big fan of Spearhead From Space. Not sure why though, possibly because it looks so different to the rest of the stories.

I haven't seen it for years though. I got rid of the old dvd when i found out it was being re-released with Terror then only just got round to buying it a last week.

Just for the record if your interested my favourite Pertwee story is Planet of the Daleks, closely followed by Death to the Daleks (i love the locaton shooting for this story).

On the whole most of Pertwee's stories were very good, Curse of Peladon, The Time Monster and Planet of the Spiders aside.

Mojo 17th October 2012 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 283225)
For some reason i've never been a big fan of Spearhead From Space. Not sure why though, possibly because it looks so different to the rest of the stories.

I haven't seen it for years though. I got rid of the old dvd when i found out it was being re-released with Terror then only just got round to buying it a last week.

Just for the record if your interested my favourite Pertwee story is Planet of the Daleks, closely followed by Death to the Daleks (i love the locaton shooting for this story).

On the whole most of Pertwee's stories were very good, Curse of Peladon, The Time Monster and Planet of the Spiders aside.

I must admit I'm not really a great fan of the Pertwee Dalek stories, although I do like Day Of The Daleks.

Although Spearhead From Space is top of my list, I love the whole of season 7 - I don't think it's ever been bettered. Outside that, I'd say my favourite Pertwee tales are The Daemons, The Claws Of Axos and The Sea Devils.

Like you, I never really liked the Peladon stories either!

Demdike@Cult Labs 17th October 2012 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojo (Post 283281)
, The Claws Of Axos

Been reading about the special edition of this.

They say the picture is far superior to the older dvd. Like you, its a favourite of mine so i may have to buy it again, when its come down in price. ;)